Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I never had a doubt, Emile.

We have a saying, "No rest for the wicked." You must have been very, very wicked.

In a good way, of course!

Steve Z

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
A Day in Oldenzaal

This past Wednesday I spent the day talking to each Taiko Team member. There is this air and mood of confidence, engagement and joy in their activities, a team firing on all cylinders. Taiko has come a long way since the kitchen table in July 2015.

The Olympus chassis was a foam model my last visit, now its a fully machined two piece aluminium alloy case and looking beautiful

The biggest news is the further leap in the musical beauty of the Olympus IO. I asked Emile "what did you change in the last couple of weeks" ?
The reply was, " oh about 50 things "

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
I've had the router and DCD running for about a week now with the switch and Extreme. It took around five minutes to get the router up and running with my system. Just used the recommended hookup and power cycling, set my i-pad controller to TAIKO WI-FI and Roon showed up as usual.
Not a single wi-fi drop out or hiccup. Just pure music.
The sound has taken on a solidness that was not there before adding the router/DCD. The imaging is ultra stable now. Best I've heard yet.
GO TAIKO!!!

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
The future is here, indeed.

A few patches of NSM had been implemented previously in XDMS before, allowing things I had not thought possible with Digital at all:

Subtle dynamic gradations, nuance in the voice of a singer, all those things which separates a soso musical performance from a great one. The things which make you get lost in music, which mean the expression, which are the meaning of a musical interpretation.
The transportation of emotion, which for me is most important quality of true high end.

Similar to this an enhanced tonal expression, finer gradations, simply more and more different colours.

The lack of both had always made Digital a boredom for me.

NSM
has added even more nuances, more of what fascinates me with music.

With NSM a few more thing have arrived:

An enhanced sense of space, of spatial clues of the recording venue.
Localisation of performers is now much more evident, no doubts, they are simply here, quite nice and pretty impressive.
For me the „why“ of perforers is more important than the „where“ of them, a pretty nice added sonic quality, nevertheless :)

Bass! Much more nuance here, too. Much more differentiation of bass notes, of their depth, their character.
Simply more relevant information here, too.
Very nice as well!

Criticism?
Umm, no.

When following Emiles advice & taking out the (pretty good) Ediscreation extreme switch between internet box and Taiko switch and putting it parallel to Taiko switch, NSM improved in many ways, but I think I lost some vigour, some attack, some excitement, when music asked for it.
Maybe ASIO format, adaptive change, as mentioned elsewhere, might help.
Maybe this minor problem is in my personal setup.
28. of December is the estimated time of arrival of Taiko router and switch. This will undoubtedly elevate things even more and maybe change again some of the odd interactions of my setup with rest of internet in my home.

Many thanks again to all of Team Taiko for your products and most of all, an absolutely incomparable after sales service!
(do you feed Ed some abominable drugs so that he doesn’t ever sleep?)

Cheers from Engadin

Attachments

• IMG_7209.jpeg
    IMG_7209.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Thanks for your review of NSM. I believe you described what we are all looking for more of from digital.
Posts like that make me really look forward to using NSM.
Happy to be on the Taiko train!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
After spending all day today playing with NSM I began to explore many of the buttons that I had set before NSM. One in particular I found very interesting and that was the "sound profile" button with default vs Alternative. I remember months ago there were posts about this button and I recall that Emile preferred Alternative whereas I think the only ones who preferred default was myself and 2nd liner (Michael). Well today was a completely different story with NSM as it was simply no contest. It wasn't even close as Alternative with NSM to my ears sounds so much better. I have no idea whether this is a filter or something else but today was so much better that I am now keeping that button on Alternative

Anyone else with similar findings or is this just one of those buttons that we use for preference

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The best way to verify the cable as the root cause is to just go out and buy yourself a cheap USB-spec-compliant printer cable. Belden is a good brand for this here in the US.
There is no such thing as a "USB-spec compliant printer cable." All USB cables are either USB compliant or not, a printer is a device that, if implementing USB for I/O and / or power needs to adhere to USB specs like any other USB - capable device.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
After spending all day today playing with NSM I began to explore many of the buttons that I had set before NSM. One in particular I found very interesting and that was the "sound profile" button with default vs Alternative. I remember months ago there were posts about this button and I recall that Emile preferred Alternative whereas I think the only ones who preferred default was myself and 2nd liner (Michael). Well today was a completely different story with NSM as it was simply no contest. It wasn't even close as Alternative with NSM to my ears sounds so much better. I have no idea whether this is a filter or something else but today was so much better that I am now keeping that button on Alternative

Anyone else with similar findings or is this just one of those buttons that we use for preference
I had forgotten all about that toggle setting, Steve. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to give it some use and comparisons after our guests vacate my audio room in a week.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015

I forgot about this, Steve, thanks for the reminder! Field report forthcoming…

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

I was always preferring Alternative , also with Roon It works excellent but „only for some time„
as Emile suggested. It works permanent with XDMS , NSM .
this botton works for months now.
I think Emile mentioned once the difference between standard and alternative is in the way memory
is cleaned.

Reactions: oldmustang

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Do you know if when changing from Standard to Alternate the effect is immediate, or do you have to restart the Extreme?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Happy holidays to all on this epic thread! Even though I have never met anyone here in person, it has been an amazing place to share, cheer, console and learn in this hobby we are fortunate to have and occasionally a window into people’s lives.

Hope Team Taiko gets some seriously overdue rest in the coming days. 2024 sure looks to be shaping up to be the most exciting and audibly best yet thanks to their passion and innovation.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Still early but I think I prefer alternative. Is anyone having difficulties toggling between NSM/Roon? mine is not functioning...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Still early but I think I prefer alternative. Is anyone having difficulties toggling between NSM/Roon? mine is not functioning...

Right now the toggle in the app isn’t functional but Ed thinks he found the issue.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was always preferring Alternative , also with Roon It works excellent but „only for some time„
as Emile suggested. It works permanent with XDMS , NSM .
this botton works for months now.
I think Emile mentioned once the difference between standard and alternative is in the way memory
is cleaned.
the button always worked Kris. My comment was that I had it on default while using XDMS and IIRC myself and 2nd Liner preferred default. Yesterday I decided to listen to "alternative " with XDMS and I was shocked at how much better it now sounded

Reactions: Kris and John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing