Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

John T

Feb 15, 2022
When trying I've just toggled midstream as I'm listening. Doing it this way I cannot decipher a difference. Perhaps stopping the sever and then switching will make a difference?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
for the record I remember Ed saying to change from default to alternative or back you should stop the server before you change settings. Then restart the server after setting change is made Is this what everyone is doing or is stopping the server not necessary
I’ve not stopped the server before I tried “alternative” — I’m going to be embarrassed if it turns out, without stopping the server, nothing changes yet I “heard” a difference. And the A-B compare people will be slapping their thighs and having a good laugh. o_O

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Next time I try it I'm going to make sure I'm listening to a well recorded piece. Koko Taylor doesn't care if its default/alternative...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Try track 3 or 6 from Booker’s Guitar - Eric Bibb on Qobuz
IMG_0957.png

Reactions: engadin and John T

JM1221

Jul 20, 2021
XDMS Control App version 2.3.10 DAC settings has X0,1,2 and 3 selection working correctly, so no need to edit by hand anymore

for the record I remember Ed saying to change from default to alternative or back you should stop the server before you change settings. Then restart the server after setting change is made Is this what everyone is doing or is stopping the server not necessary
Steve, I've been switching midstream (on the fly) as well. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.. hopefully will produce better results. Prior to receiving NSM I preferred the alternative setting but after NSM install, I've seemed to prefer Default. Possibly bc I'm not reseting as you suggest. Thanks, Jay M.

Reactions: John T

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I stop playing XDMS etc, but don't restart the Extreme.

Reactions: John T and Bobvin

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Try track 3 or 6 from Booker’s Guitar - Eric Bibb on Qobuz
View attachment 123479
Love both those tracks, the album, and Eric Bibb. This will mess with your mind! First "Flood Water" in default which sounded insanely good. Then alternative thinking maybe better? Then back to default and now I don't know! LOL!!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No need to restart the server, just stop playing , toggle , restart playing. On the fly it doesn't work.
That was always my thought as well but I remember Ed commenting to stop the server before switching. There is no need to restart the extreme. I’m talking VNC in and stop server. Then change toggle position then restart server

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Ed, how about answering if you need to reboot the Extreme to switch between Default and Alternative. If yes, then why have a toggle?:)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ed, how about answering if you need to reboot the Extreme to switch between Default and Alternative. If yes, then why have a toggle?:)

How else would you switch it if you didn’t have a toggle?

Reactions: oldmustang

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
How else would you switch it if you didn’t have a toggle?
Understood, but when you have a toggle then I would not think that you should have to reboot the Extreme. If you have to go into VNC or reboot then why not skip the toggle and go into VNC to make the change as you don't do it very often.

I think that the toggle design would not necessitate a reboot or VNC, although maybe it's just not working properly yet. ????

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014
That was always my thought as well but I remember Ed commenting to stop the server before switching. There is no need to restart the extreme. I’m talking VNC in and stop server. Then change toggle position then restart server
Maybe that was in a previous version of XDMS server/control app?? Now it clearly works by just stopping the music, toggling and replaying. The difference is quite audible between default and alternative .

Reactions: Rhapsody

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Understood, but when you have a toggle then I would not think that you should have to reboot the Extreme. If you have to go into VNC or reboot then why not skip the toggle and go into VNC to make the change as you don't do it very often.

I think that the toggle design would not necessitate a reboot or VNC, although maybe it's just not working properly yet. ????

I don’t think most people want to remote into their computer and edit files. I realize many of us are comfortable with that.

It is not unusual for software changes to necessitate a reboot.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I don’t think most people want to remote into their computer and edit files. I realize many of us are comfortable with that.

It is not unusual for software changes to necessitate a reboot.
Sure.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Would not “xdms” restart, from the “logout/restart/shutdown” page in settings restart the service if it is indeed necessary?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Would not “xdms” restart, from the “logout/restart/shutdown” page in settings restart the service if it is indeed necessary?

Yes, assuming that function works.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I think there’s confusion between “restart in xdms on remote”, “reboot Extreme,” simply stop and restart the stream and “stop and start xdms in Task Manager.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing