TechDas Air Force One

I failed to locate SOTA Basis. I think the name is OVATION Basis

It's called "The Work of Art." You can find it on AJ's site.

I failed to locate SOTA Basis. I think the name is OVATION Basis

By SOTA Basis, Myles meant Basis' SOTA (top of the line/statement turntable), not a turntable by SOTA called the Basis. :)

Hi Myles,

It was when I went from my Acrylic platter to my Super platter in my HRX that I developed my preference for non acrylic platters. I had no idea until reading he posts today how difficult acrylic is to work with. In any case, it just isn't the platter but the plinths too. I was shocked at how much better CA tables with Panzer wood sounded compared to their acrylic only stablemates. The MF M1 of yore was terrible to my ears.

As for the Ikeda, you bad man, in time.....in time.....LOL. Doesn't it have an output less than .2 though? I don't have a phonostage that can do justice to that I think. My VK-P10 Superpack has problems with .25s, my LP2 even with the 1:32's has a comfort zone of .25 and the Soulphono also at about the same. The JPA-66 has been on my radar for some time and that can do crazy low outputs like the iO-J. If I have a DAC graveyard, my brother has a phonostage graveyard and the EMT has bested each and every one in every respect including two which I own and distribute. That will really have to wait though. The AF1 and Light Harmonic ate up my budget LOL. Then again there are rumors of Vladimir launching a new phonostage. I'll have to wait and see what that will be.

Then again there are rumors of Vladimir launching a new phonostage. I'll have to wait and see what that will be.

Fact not fiction Jack. both his rooms look once again in the ozone and one will have his new Signature phonostage

You're in much tighter than I Steve :) I've yet to get confirmation from Vlad or Elina. They are keeping mum about it for now. If it does debut at CES, I do now know it will be with the other Tech DAS, the first TechDAS being in Gary's system.

You're in much tighter than I Steve :) I've yet to get confirmation from Vlad or Elina. They are keeping mum about it for now. If it does debut at CES, I do now know it will be with the other Tech DAS, the first TechDAS being in Gary's system.

The new Lamm phonostage was all over my Facebook pages since early this week! I asked Bob Graham last week if he's going to be using it together with the TechDAS in his room at CES, but he couldn't confirm.

lamm_lp1signature_1.jpg

Well whadya know. Three days in the mountains and Jack is caught snoozing on the job! LOL!

From the specs I'm guessing MC1 is 1:32 and MC2 is about 1:10. These are options available for the LP2. I don't know as of yet if these are the same SUTs. I'd also like to know if a pair of SUTs can be added in lieu of an MM input.

I have my present table positioned in a null and under my ceiling bass traps a good 12 to 15 feet away from my loudspeakers. I've also got it on a CLD platform on a very inert rack which includes elbow bearing interfaces between them. Feedback was never a problem. The TW has a fantastic platter and a fantastic bearing too so self noise was likewise never an issue. I was pretty much done with TT lust until the silent vacuum hold down showed itself.

Regarding the silent vacuum hold down, is the Basis system not silent? I recently heard the Basis Debut vacuum hold down and it was awfully quiet.

Regarding the silent vacuum hold down, is the Basis system not silent? I recently heard the Basis Debut vacuum hold down and it was awfully quiet.

I have no idea Peter. I did say that I have an irrational mental allergy to all-acrylic (plinth plus platter) tables and that's why I didn't pursue Basis even if the vacuum hold down was what drew my attention. They make darned good arms too but I digress.

I'm keeping the TW AC-3 since I have absolutely no complaints about it plus the TW's flexibility with regards to arms is priceless as far as my usage habits are concerned. I'll be running the AC-3 side by side with the Air Force One. I'm excited to find out how they differ.

With all due respect, Jack, you have it a bit backwards: "the other Tech DAS" refers to the official U.S./Canadian/S. American distributor, Graham Engineering. We're working very hard to promote this, on and off a chat column (the first unit in the U.S. has already been to two reviewers), so I hope our efforts to make this gorgeous unit available at CES and to the Americas won't be overlooked in all the on-line excitement.... And it will be the room to see and audition the newest Phantom, the Elite, made especially to match the AF-1 and with a performance jump even I hadn't anticipated when I set about to bring my Phantom design up a notch. Happy New Year to all...

Last edited:
The TechDAS Air Force ONE will be shown by the manufacturer and designer in Suite 29-119 for international dealers and distributors. The official distributor for the US will be showing it in Suite 35-309 to US dealers and customers.

The TechDAS Air Force ONE will be shown by the manufacturer and designer in Suite 29-119 for international dealers and distributors. The official distributor for the US will be showing it in Suite 35-309 to US dealers and customers.

Thanks for helping to straighten out any possible confusion on this, Gary - You know how hard it is to get organized for these events, so now let's hope the visitors to our rooms enjoy our respective efforts and the show (meaning, hearing the best turntable I've ever encountered, and I think that goes for you, too...). Now, match it up with the Phantom Elite, and I believe this will be a most formitable combination that will be very hard to match, let alone surpass. (With all due respect to those worthy competitors, of course).... See you in 'Vegas....! -B.

Yeah Bob ,don't be shy about discussing" the best tonearm some have ever heard."

Hi Bob,

Will the Phantom Elite be available down the road for other non TechDas owners ? I want one. Thanks in advance.

Hi and thanks for the advance support! At some point, I'll probably make this available for general use, but keep in mind it will take a little time to get ramped up for that. Also, it's really designed (cosmetically) to complement the Air Force One, but I think it looks great on other designs, including a TW-Acustic AC-3.... I'll also get one of these into the review circle at some point too, just so there will be more information and shameless propoganda to help..!!

Hi and thanks for the advance support! At some point, I'll probably make this available for general use, but keep in mind it will take a little time to get ramped up for that. Also, it's really designed (cosmetically) to complement the Air Force One, but I think it looks great on other designs, including a TW-Acustic AC-3.... I'll also get one of these into the review circle at some point too, just so there will be more information and shameless propoganda to help..!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Bob. I look forward to the Elite at some point. The TechDAS is starting to distract me more...;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu