TechDas Air Force One

Hi B3344
very impressive! it seems you are collecting or reselling? the images look a little like you are running a warehouse :) did you rewire your Micro Max tonearms on the the TechDas? What phono cables are you using, any tubes in your chain? are you testing in a carefully put together system, any room description possible? I know these are many questions. Having build a dedicated listening room some six years ago I have learned how important room and system specifications can be for our listening experience.
old & junk vs new & amazing. can you be a little more specific on the difference in sound. thanks.

hi airbearing . I just a hifi lover sometime collecting but not much. actually hifi system list is tell nothing if you not listen by your ear. but you asked i will.
I love to play hifi since i was 8 year old at 15 year I got Marklevinson 333 38s 30,31 and thiel cs5i with preceed home teather processor and one 6x8 room with acoustic absorb as you see in pink color this room ever RTA check and result in good frequency response it almost flat just a little boom at 200 hz about 1-2 db on RTA graph so room is very quiet and close to studio style .

for max 237 and 238 nomally with original micro seiki ofc cable sound will good in mid hi wide stage warm vocal in mid and alittle less in bass , it good for most song. but i use with transparent OPUS mm2 phono cable .and some best cable this sound like crazy with price but i like it because it give more bass and clear in mid hi detail compare to original cable. i put this arm because it look cool with Air force one even though it 30 year old but this arm is make for real LP player it can easy to remove or change cartridge by only take out all arm ward and put the new one on it . you can fix counter weigh to match cartridge on each arm ward and just plug and play no wast time to remove nut like other tone arm . and it look match with AFO.

for tonearm I have sme v v12 309 3012R 3010R thales simpicity davinci tripanar linn micro seiki FR64s 64fx 66s ikeda it 407 gold and more...

I use ikeda kai and kiseki for now actually i have a 50+ cartridge and some have multiple copy of each like airtight pc 1 supreme , benz LPS , ortofon Mc anna , lyra atlas , clear gold finger phasemation pp1000 , and a lot of japanese cartridge and vintage like ikeda kiseiki audio technica Fidelity research . AK lab linn dynavector , SPJ ,shelter....and many no need to say more.

then a dozen of step up like FR 1-5 high mid low all FR line ( i very like FR step up ) but mostly i use FR AX5G and some japanese step up like phase tech ,kiseki, sony , denon, bob devize , and some custom made , so for i can change a lot of sound style by mixing and matching between cartridge , cable , step up, to get the sound I want!!!
so that why I say I just need only quiet turntable and good heavy platter with air floating .

after that I still have a lot of phono stage like nagra VPS tube and BPS accuphase c 27 esoteric E03 moon 810LP burmaster 100 ASR Thorens
this i can mix and match to get unlimited sound result to response my mood.

in my room have 4 system
1 moon P850 +880M
2 marklevinson 326s+33h
3 mcintosh with JBL
4 teather set
all can play in the same time
all cable is transparent reference XLR and AC . main power use PLMM2x
main speaker cable use transparent opus MM2
for sepaker i have many theil , rockport , marten ,jbl ....
so this can make alot of difference of sound .
by the way

for old Micro seiki and AFO

1 AFO more and more quiet . like no sound out from it , I change LP i hear some rumble when change to another is more and less this can be show that this turntable have lower S/N ratio of rumble sound than the LP maker cutter machine. and it more quiet than old micro seiki. you can easy to hear 3th harmonic of piano key and vocal reverb with out intention . it reveal all detail that hiding in the background

2 because of this quiet I easy hear more detail in all music from low to high frequency . more airly more layer of sound stage and more separate in music instrument that I never heard before in my life. ( this sound like over but it happen to me) and many time during i listen AFO I must shock because of hearing some chorus voice that i normally never clear like this . it feel like some body sing or call you in the side or in the back of you like a ghost.
this make me feel shock when listen music

3 sound stage it very stable big and wide and sweet vocal , I guest it from platter technic . and because of best motor controller system . I can feel vocal is very real and correct

4 my old seiki it give big bass sometime i feel it muddy .but when i play by AFO it got the same bass level but fool of resolution and detail of the bass line
this very big improve and it because of stable and quiet platter .

5 lower or almost lowest rumble noise , you may ask why rumble so important to me , i use big speaker and play loud and I will hear more rumble too . but for small speaker the will no problem because you speaker can't produce much low frequency to interrupt your ear by the way rumble it make woofer driver moving all the time this can make distrotion of bass except you will used high pass filter to eliminate this frequency rumble

so that why I try to say how quiet of turntable so important . if you need to listen it deep groove you need to be more quiet and AFO answer my question for now!!!

thanks

hi b3344,
you have a very similar taste on arms and carts as me. some differ of course, the PC-1 could no convince me. My Micro Max 282 is wired with a new silver ikeda tonearm litz. If you try this you will hear quite a difference. In opposite to the wiring of the old Ortofons and the SME I-A the Micro arms' wiring was mediocre (i mean not good!).
Having worked with the Micro tables since 20 years I got to know that the weak side over the years became the PS and the drive. You can improve them but it is better running these wonderful big tables with more precise and modern drives. At best also in flywheel configuration. You will then hear what the big Micros are able to produce. So you are a lucky guy. Not only having so much gear to play with but also facing a big chance to improve your Micro table - if you like, and of course the Max 282 arms which look as a perfect match with the TechDas.

BTW agree with Jadis on the SRA topic. Maybe you could use an Arche headshell for the SRA alignment. Just for testing.

Just got word from Stella. Our first AFO is expected to ship out middle of next month, the second one 3 months after. Seems there's quite a queue now.

Just got word from Stella. Our first AFO is expected to ship out middle of next month, the second one 3 months after. Seems there's quite a queue now.

Jack are you the distributor for techdas in the philippines? I thought you were buying an AF-1 for private use but if you've ordered 2? I have been advised there is production delays due to parts shortages from suppliers?

Hi Sound Affair,

Yes we are. Order no.1 which includes a D7 DAC is for the main showroom, the other was ordered through us. I caught the end of the last production run last year. The client's is in the middle of this year's first batch.

Jack,

That's much better than a cartridge which you ordered and waited for 2 years to be delivered, at least. :D

High end is so different now. Before, there was no stock in the PI but you had to indent. And the shipment was quick as long as your money was received. Now, your money is waiting for the product to be produced. We live in interesting times. :D

Hi Sound Affair,

Yes we are. Order no.1 which includes a D7 DAC is for the main showroom, the other was ordered through us. I caught the end of the last production run last year. The client's is in the middle of this year's first batch.

Good luck Jack hope it does well for you, curious as to what retail price you have put on the AF-1 i've seen pricing from 5 million yen to 6.5 million yen?

Hi Sound Affair,

What is the price of the D7 DAC? Do you know if TechDas are developing a CD transport?

Congrats, Jack. Looks like you're on a roll already. All those who heard the Air Force One in our room were impressed by the dynamics and musicality. Heck, I was impressed by the dynamics and musicality of the system.

are there any reports from CES about listening experiences, quality etc. I have not seen any so far, did I miss something?

I posted some over at the Genesis thread and the Vertere Tonearm thread because there were two Air Force Ones at the show. The one with the official North & South America distributor Bob Graham, and the one in my room - which was a manufacturer's room.

Myles was kind enough to bring in half a dozen of his reference LP to spin, and we all greatly enjoyed them. Now, I'm waiting for his Positive Feedback show report.

Last edited:
As a newcomer to this forum, I read all 26 pages of this thread with interest and a slight concern.Surely if people need total speed accuracy they should not bother with vinyl...lps are not produced to that standard and won't be totally concentric, and vinyl is rarely total silent at high levels and low modulation. vinyl is wonderful despite the real flaws but looking for technical perfection risks missing the point; it is a problematic medium which still reachs greatness, rather like the most interesting humans. As for the Air Force One,at the moment it is just another contender which will find its natural place given a little time and calm consideration. hi fi has an addiction to'the next big thing' which is often misleading. we have a favourite advert here in the UK which has the slogan ;'calm down dear.'

I'm calm, how about you Gary? :D

Is the Air Force One next? As we ask in the investment business... where are you going to put the proceeds to work?

No Peter, I will not go for the TechDas, next project is not about a turntable. I have three big turntables left. I did not intend selling the Micro at any time but due to space problems "in my small room" there is no other option. BTW it is all original, no repairs, no other parts at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu