TechDas Air Force One

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Are there any Tech Das tables in the Boston area? It seems these are getting some good reactions and I would love to hear one.

Bob Graham? He's the importer.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Congratulations, Jack. Mine is now also up and running.:D The Captain was gracious enough to lend me his backup cartridge in order not to delay the setup, but after your comment I cannot wait for my Atlas to arrive (hopefully, next week).

Dominico, that is a beaut!! Congratulations. Looking forward to listening to it at some point.....

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Thanks, Joe. You definitely will have to come for some listening and I am still looking forward to trying that bottle of wine. :)

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Thanks, Joe. You definitely will have to come for some listening and I am still looking forward to trying that bottle of wine. :)

Not to worry... the next time the "fearsome fivesome" is together for a session, I'll have a bottle for each of you.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I'd like to than Jack for hosting Jadis and I at his lair last Saturday. That was 5 hours that quickly passed and if Jadis didn't have an early morning flight the next day, we might have stayed for dinner! And who knows, maybe the Emperor might have succeeded in prying away from Philip an LP that had been conspicuously labeled as "own...."

Jack's system sounded magnificent but NATURAL, totally devoid of edge, unnatural brightness or bass boom. Reproducing a wide variety of music, from easy vocals to an organ concerto and most everything in between, never, not once did I hear the system strain, harden, or loose its composure regardless of how loudly we listened. It's a well worn cliche but I honestly felt that I was listening to familiar recordings for the first time. I've been exposed to many megabuck, top of the line systems this past year and nothing came remotely close. But was this because of the Techdas?

First of all, unless you see the Techdas live, you have no idea what a beautiful piece of engineering it is. While Jacks other table, the TW Acustic AC 3 is a stunning table in its own right, it almost looked "crude" next to the Techdas. No slight intended here to TW owners, its just my personal opinion on the industrial beauty of the Techdas design. Sonically, mated to the Lyra Atlas and Graham arm (not sure about the arm) I can't imagine how much better analog, or for that matter reproduced music, can sound. Unprecedented levels of silence coupled with very high resolution and unlimited dynamics. Playing the same album (Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance, Nimbus Pressing, an extremely difficult LP to find that only Jadis seems to be able to hunt down) on both tables, the TW sounded darker, muddled and less resolved and this advantage was starkly apparent without having to switch back and forth between components as is often needed to detect differences between components at the top of the food chain. I just want to add, however, that it was not a one to one comparison as we listened to the TW via a Dynavector XV 1t thru a different phono stage. In the analog vs digital debate, the Techdas revealed that huge gap that still exists between analog done right vs even high resolution digital, the latter sounding flat and compressed.

I'll leave it up to Philip to add to what we experienced that hot Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, what I heard that day was a true benchmark, a perfect harmony of top gear synergistically performing at their very best.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, a big thank you to Jack for hosting us, and granting my vote of 1 for the dimsum snack. :) And most of all, for the musical event that was anchored on the Tech Das Air Force 1 which made an impression on me that will be hard to erase in the annals of my audio experiences. And it was timed nicely a day before I was to leave for a 4 day short vacation which will give me enough time NOT to compare Jack's sound to mine. :D I brought with me a few of my favorite LPs and before listening to them, I did make that incredible 'tapping on the vinyl' while the music played, and yes virginia, there was no feedback coming out of the speakers while my finger was tapping the vinyl itself. Unbelievable design.

On to the music.

1. Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall - First pressing, Vanguard original grey label Stereolab. The humming of Ronnie Gilbert is incredibly audible, despite the low volume of her humming against the boys' boisterous volume in their vocal delivery. The applause of the audience at Carnegie Hall is something I have not heard in other systems. There seems to be really lots of people now and the hall size is bigger too than anywhere I have listened to this LP. GoodNight Irene is THE classice test. The audience chanting and singing along is so evident than other systems I have heard. And the whole thing is really very entertaining until the last cut of the side Michael Rows...Alleluiah. Wow.

2. Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney. CBS 360 Stereo. From what I remember the voices of the 4 vocalists usually steals the attention of listeners, but this time with the AF1, even the guitars and other instruments are now very prominent and very well defined. The lower mids are also very fleshed out.

3. Nimbus Supercut Mountain Dance - Dave Grusin. While all cuts we played were extemely musical and extended from top to bottom to add from what Dafos had already mentioned, when I requested the cut 'Either Way', the drama of the soft to loud dynamics left me breathless, for the first time ever. It was exhilarating, to say the least. That night when I went to bed, the music was still ringing in my mind.

4. Nimbus Supercut Earl Klugh Lving Inside Your Love. The guitar plucks and the huge soundstage were virtually unheard of before when I listened to this cut in other system. As Dafos put it that night, this one became a super supercut.

Dafos' review above I entirely agree. Right now I'm still relaxing in my hotel in HK in the lull while waiting for my wife and daughter to come back from their shopping. The vacation had made me forget the listening session 'a bit', but when I get home, I believe it will all come back again - the torture. :D A big congratulations to you, Jack, for an extremely well thought out system. We cannot say the Tech Das is the king of your system entirely but that your brand synergy today is one of the most fantastic I have heard so far, as I have not listened yet to Jim's bigger system. :) But I can say the Tech Das did a lot of improvements in your sound as a month ago I was just there to hear the TW/Atlas on your system. The AF1 really did lots of things for the better and that was ertswhile un-knowable. Thanks for the invite, and Dafos and I really enjoyed the company of Jim and Keith as well; great great session, Jack. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As always it was my pleasure guys. We see each other online a lot but we get together way too infrequently in person. We should see to it that we don't have to wait that long to get together again! I'm really, really happy that you liked what you heard. Getting feedback like this from people like you who I respect very highly, my kuyas (big bros) who have taught me a lot about this hobby since I joined wiredstate.com, means a lot to me. :)

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Phil, wife and kids still out shopping?

The most telling LP we played was the Quality Recorde reissue of Tea for the Tillerman, a much maligned reissue that's been described as hard, bright, thin and sterile and for good reason. Until last Saturday when for the first time I heard none of the criticisms leveled (including me) on this reissue. The voice of cat Stevens had body and even the nastiest portion of the cut "father and son" sailed thru without the usual ear piercing crescendo that characterizes cat's voice at that portion of the song. In other systems that "tame" this crescendo, there is a lack of resolution of the guitar strumming at the start of the cut. Not thru this system though, as the guitar introduction was portrayed so distinctlvely clean, clear and crisp. Amazing...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil, wife and kids still out shopping?

The most telling LP we played was the Quality Recorde reissue of Tea for the Tillerman, a much maligned reissue that's been described as hard, bright, thin and sterile and for good reason. Until last Saturday when for the first time I heard none of the criticisms leveled (including me) on this reissue. The voice of cat Stevens had body and even the nastiest portion of the cut "father and son" sailed thru without the usual ear piercing crescendo that characterizes cat's voice at that portion of the song. In other systems that "tame" this crescendo, there is a lack of resolution of the guitar strumming at the start of the cut. Not thru this system though, as the guitar introduction was portrayed so distinctlvely clean, clear and crisp. Amazing...

Yes, only wife and daughter still shopping till the shops closed. Son is with me in the hotel, well trained NOT to shop like girls. :D Heading back home tomorrow night to face the 40 degree heat. Ouch. 24 degrees C is so so welcome relief here in HK. No chance for audio auditioning but after Jack's session, I'm not that hungry to hear out audio stores anymore :D

Yes, the QRP Tea for the Tillerman sounds real good. Nothing like those initial 'bad' reviews. Now we do not know if one needs an AF 1 to make the Tea sound good or what. :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes, the QRP Tea for the Tillerman sounds real good. Nothing like those initial 'bad' reviews. Now we do not know if one needs an AF 1 to make the Tea sound good or what. :D

Haha! I think it does. When I had the AF1 in-house, Tea for the Tillerman was one of the albums I played for myself. The QRP sounded quite good, better than the pink rim Island, but I don't think it was as good as the all-pink label Island. The AF1 seemed to make the musicality of the guitar come across.

What is amazing was how an excellent turntable set-up reduces surface noise, and at the same time increase detail. A paradox if I've ever heard one. One of my favourite albums (a Polydor of Fiedler's Favourite Overtures) is not very quiet on my usual rig (Xerses/Artemiz/Magic Diamond). When I had the AF1/Atremiz/Magic Diamond, surface noise went far down enough for me to use as a demo. During the New York Audio Show, I had TMS3/Vertere/Hyperion and it was so quiet that people in the audience thought that I was playing high-rez digital!

Peter Ledermann explained that it had to do with "stylus jitter" in the groove and how the turntable and tonearm can reduce it. I'll be bringing the album to Kuala Lumpur to listen to it on AF1/Graham/Hyperion - and expecting to hear the 2nd violin fart :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Sounds like some excellent sound coming through, Jack, congratulations! This "exposing" of the hitherto unrealised, positive, qualities in a recording seems to be a generic behaviour in audio when the playback improves significantly; luckily, the same mechanism appears to be in operation in the digital realm as for analogue ...

Cheers,
Frank

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Frank, long time no see :) While audibility is a word bandied around quite a bit, many times I feel it is used within a framework that is either too narrow or too broadly defined. If we're talking about sound information be it groove, metal particles or bits on a recording making its way to the brain, we have to consider how so many electrical, mechanical and acoustic factors stand in the way in the form of not just distortion but also noise induced internally and externally relative to level. My personal philosophy has been about making everything as quiet as I can without the silence becoming unnatural or uncomfortable rather than building up a system that will defeat noise by masking it through sheer force. This is a recurring theme in my equipment selection process. The TechDAS takes this same philosophy to very great lengths, certainly greater than most any table I've ever encountered. Knowing what exactly is making those little noises or layers of noise has always been the most difficult part. Dealing with them once knowing is orders of magnitude easier. That said, I'm at a point where I am satisfied with the SNR of my system, even if I am quite demanding in this regard. Time to take a break and just enjoy. :)

What's next? Well, I know the noisiest component I have now is the preamp I am using, a Valvet Soulshine. It will be subject to a bit more tweaking albeit I suspect that the culprit is the ecc99 tubes. I am contemplating seriously a battery driven tube preamp using the very quiet in my experience 6H30s.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
If we're talking about sound information be it groove, metal particles or bits on a recording making its way to the brain, we have to consider how so many electrical, mechanical and acoustic factors stand in the way in the form of not just distortion but also noise induced internally and externally relative to level. My personal philosophy has been about making everything as quiet as I can without the silence becoming unnatural or uncomfortable rather than building up a system that will defeat noise by masking it through sheer force
Nice to catch up, Jack. In the digital world that non recording related sound is harder to pin down, and it's good to see Richard (opus111) doing innovative experimenting in this area, trying to minimise what he calls "noise modulation" ...

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank you Jack. I was nursing a throbbing headache due to a late night out the previous evening. That's why I was staying at the farthest chair the whole time. Despite all that, I enjoyed the addition of the AF-1 immensely. It was good to hook up with Philip and Gerry too.

The difference in resolution and overall enjoyability (is that a legit word) was night and day. Congratulations!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Nice to catch up, Jack. In the digital world that non recording related sound is harder to pin down, and it's good to see Richard (opus111) doing innovative experimenting in this area, trying to minimise what he calls "noise modulation" ...

Frank! Is that really you? Wow, what a surprise! Well, that sure makes my day!
A huge warm welcome back! :b

BTW Frank, "minimize" with a z, and not a s. ;):D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing