Test Drive of 2020 BMW 840i Coupe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have no problem with the leg room Ron.I found your comment interesting so every Mercedes have been in lately I have been comparing to my SL and TBH I see no restrictions in the other models including the GT

Respectfully, Steve, I have no idea why we are discussing this. I never commented on or disputed your subjective preference about, or perception of, legroom.

I have simply stated the fact that the legroom in the SL is greater than the legroom in most Mercedes sedans, including the S Class sedan. You are correct that I have posted this fact several times.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys you two have never argued with each other about audio on this forum so now auto?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Wow, S63 is a rocket, quite heavy, and still gets 17/26 mpg with a twin turbo V8.

Ron, I think the days of cars with a maximum of interior space vs exterior are over, probably has a lot to do with safety so I feel your pain as far as the selection of cars available today, but the silver lining is modern car's performance, safety and fuel economy are all better than they used to be.

I hear you about "Corvette guys" and not being one, but the C8 is going to attract a lot of folks who were never Corvette guys in the past! I had a hard time with that and owning a Camaro, I never thought that would happen and never saw myself as a "Camaro guy" at all, but the car is so much better vs other options for the price it was impossible to turn down.

Every performance car has it's detractors and a negative stereotype of it's owners. Few with any intelligence take it seriously.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If you want to maximize space, this is the right vehicle. I used to own one when I was 20 or so... bought it for $500, drove it for a few years until it was hopelessly broken, and gave it to a junkyard for $50. Now they are appreciating, that car is worth a few grand!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have no problem with the legroom in the SL. I think they screwed the pooch when they "updated" the looks in 2013, but they were better in the later genearations. I'm seriously looking at the GT-C. We drove one at the AMG Driving Academy and fell in love with it.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Respectfully, Steve, I have no idea why we are discussing this. I never commented on or disputed your subjective preference about, or perception of, legroom.

I have simply stated the fact that the legroom in the SL is greater than the legroom in most Mercedes sedans, including the S Class sedan. You are correct that I have posted this fact several times.

we are discussing it because you clained I have the same exit plan as you. A used SL63,and then a Porsche Taycan. Leg room was mentioned and since my name was as well I merely stated that it wasn an issue for me. No big deal.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, That is my point. There is a lot of legroom in the SL for its size.

Don’t you find the GT-C kind of cramped inside compared to the SL?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron, you may not be real tall but you can still have very long legs.

It's true there is almost nothing that is a two seater on the market right now. Mazda has one that is sort of legendary but if you think the new SL feel small... I can't even get in it.

There is nothing on the market I can't find that's not a 2+2, and especially with some room. Maybe look for older but gently used?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, That is my point. There is a lot of legroom in the SL for its size.

Don’t you find the GT-C kind of cramped inside compared to the SL?

Not to that extent. The center console is definitely larger, but seat/legroom is about the same.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, you may not be real tall but you can still have very long legs.

It's true there is almost nothing that is a two seater on the market right now. Mazda has one that is sort of legendary but if you think the new SL feel small... I can't even get in it.

There is nothing on the market I can't find that's not a 2+2, and especially with some room. Maybe look for older but gently used?

Miata, Portofino and other 2 seat exotics, an Aston-Martin and the SL — that is about it.

That is my plan - that in a couple of years the Taycan and the 2021 SL will cause people to sell gently used 2018 and 2019 SL63s. MB has literally stopped producing new SL63s.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Gollee, $80K for a SL63 2016 with less than 20K mileage. I would call that pretty affordable for the generally heeled audiophiles in this group. Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 1.07.34 PM.png

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
If you don't mind my asking, why? When the top is down who cares. When the top is up, its quiet, no water leaks, its safer, its more secure, they are infinitely more reliable.
Other than nostalgia, whats the preference?

retractable hard tops increase weight substantially, reduce space significantly, and i feel have questionable rationale. if one is considering a convertible, i suggest people plan using it with the top down 80%+ of the time. if you need quiet or are already planning on keeping the top up regularly for your coiffure, get a coupe (or Targa) which is a far more rigid structure and less hassle. and yes, I've owned a Porsche Boxster S w/ glass window - intimately familiar with the space.

i personally think the douchiest car on the road is the M4 hardtop convertible.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not sure why someone with an M2 would say that. But I can say I find everyone on here strangely too nice to drive a BMW, based on the locals here...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not sure why someone with an M2 would say that. But I can say I find everyone on here strangely too nice to drive a BMW, based on the locals here...

I've always wanted a BMW, would be easier to drive a car with no turn signals... ;)

I actually joined the BMW Car Club this summer, they have a good autocross and track program, lots of nice folks too! It's probably half BMW and half other makes.

Reactions: KeithR

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Gollee, $80K for a SL63 2016 with less than 20K mileage. I would call that pretty affordable for the generally heeled audiophiles in this group. View attachment 57572

That car would suit me just fine. Does it come with electric option?
Two things...it still is too much money, and the headlights are too retro (antique).

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
They do come with implied super powers standard.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Sorry, that prob reads wrong.

It’s because the convertible variant weighs over 500lbs more than an M4, so car guys usually won’t buy them - in LA, the Hollywood agent types are buying as a bragging piece.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I do my best to stay out of the sun, so I never drive top down during the day. But I love driving top down at night.

I just drove 42 miles home at night in the SL, top down, at high speed on the highway (no traffic), in perfect 70 degree weather (no humidity), listening to 70s and 80s rock and pop songs through Qobuz.

I thought to myself: “this does not suck.” :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing