Test Drive of 2020 BMW 840i Coupe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Respectfully, Steve, I have no idea why we are discussing this. I never commented on or disputed your subjective preference about, or perception of, legroom.

I have simply stated the fact that the legroom in the SL is greater than the legroom in most Mercedes sedans, including the S Class sedan. You are correct that I have posted this fact several times.

Maybe the SL has more legroom because it is a two seater and therefore a drivers car while the S is a limousine an therefore sometimes used with a chauffeur and the bigger legroom is in the passengers row ;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe the SL has more legroom because it is a two seater and therefore a drivers car while the S is a limousine an therefore sometimes used with a chauffeur and the bigger legroom is in the passengers row ;)

Yes, indeed. Or putting it slightly differently, it is easy to get more legroom when you are not dividing a given space between front seats and rear seats.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So what do people think of the new BMW 8 Series — base model 840i, M8, M8 Competition and convertible versions of each?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
If you don't mind my asking, why? When the top is down who cares. When the top is up, its quiet, no water leaks, its safer, its more secure, they are infinitely more reliable.
Other than nostalgia, whats the preference?

Speaking for myself the problem with folding hard tops is weight, and the fact that that weight is too high for a genuine driver's car

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I just don’t like the looks. It looks like a current Mustang on steroids. Get me back the great design of the 3.0 CSL and the first generation 6 series.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I do my best to stay out of the sun, so I never drive top down during the day. But I love driving top down at night.

I just drove 42 miles home at night in the SL, top down, at high speed on the highway (no traffic), in perfect 70 degree weather (no humidity), listening to 70s and 80s rock and pop songs through Qobuz.

I thought to myself: “this does not suck.” :)
Top down at night is one of the things that makes life worth living

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Speaking for myself the problem with folding hard tops is weight, and the fact that that weight is too high for a genuine driver's car

I totally understand that. But I think a car with a retractable hardtop is an answer to a different question.

Somebody who wants the car to be a “genuine driver’s car” or a track car I think is not going to want a convertible of any type.

As with many mixed use products the retractable hardtop can be for some people the best of both worlds, and can be for other people the worst of both worlds.

As my daily driver I love the hardtop quiet and security, as well as the convertible flexibility whenever I feel like it. So, given my purpose/mission as a daily driver, for me the retractable hardtop is the best of both worlds.

If I were solving to maximize the “genuine driver’s car” purpose, I would not get a convertible of any kind.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Have you ever driven a Lotus Elise?
No doubt that is one of the purist driver's cars available, and a convertible.
I would also mention Caterham, and the mk3 Toyota mr2.

They might not be what you have in mind when you refer to convertibles, but they are purpose designed to be such, with a stiff tub, low centre of gravity and low mass. The handling, roadholding and grip are sensational, as only low mass cars can achieve

I do accept that they are not aimed at buyers like yourself....for example getting in and out of them hard to do gracefully at our age, but the driving experience is second to none:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have you ever driven a Lotus Elise?
No doubt that is one of the purist driver's cars available, and a convertible.
I would also mention Caterham, and the mk3 Toyota mr2.

They might not be what you have in mind when you refer to convertibles, but they are purpose designed to be such, with a stiff tub, low centre of gravity and low mass. The handling, roadholding and grip are sensational, as only low mass cars can achieve

I do accept that they are not aimed at buyers like yourself....for example getting in and out of them hard to do gracefully at our age, but the driving experience is second to none:)

I have never driven an Elise, but I am sure the handling is phenomenal!

I am a big fan of low mass in cars! It is totally pathetic that the not very large SL550 (allegedly with an aluminum body) still weighs about 4,100 pounds!

I have no problem getting in and out gracefully of any sports car. I’m not that old! :D

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I have never driven an Elise, but I am sure the handling is phenomenal!

I am a big fan of low mass in cars! It is totally pathetic that the not very large SL550 (allegedly with an aluminum body) still weighs about 4,100 pounds!

I have no problem getting in and out gracefully of any sports car. I’m not that old! :D
A bit of projection on my part Ron:oops:

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just drove 42 miles home at night in the SL, top down, at high speed on the highway (no traffic), in perfect 70 degree weather (no humidity), listening to 70s and 80s rock and pop songs through Qobuz.

Now we know you’re lying!! Never have I been to CA with “no traffic”

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: infinitely baffled

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Be honest, Ron. What is the ratio of suck to non-suck LA freeway experiences, Benz or no Benz.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Be honest, Ron. What is the ratio of suck to non-suck LA freeway experiences, Benz or no Benz.

Day: suck

Night: non-suck

Unless one commutes on the highways to work and back (which definitely involves miserable traffic) you generally don’t deal with highways, and local travel generally is easy in Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Long Beach and many other suburban-type areas.

Keep in mind that perception of traffic is very relative: nothing (meaning literally nothing) I have seen in LA even on highways, is worse or more frustrating than what I saw almost every day for many years in Midtown Manhattan.

So my personal point of reference is being stuck in an often dirty, smelly Manhattan taxi, often driven by some grumpy person who barely speaks English, often having an argument because the driver does not want to put on the air conditioning to save gas, often taking 20 or more minutes to go a mile or two, and paying an average price of $10, versus enjoying driving my personal vehicle, in a temperature-controlled environment, listening to my favorite music, and talking on the telephone to my friends.

But if one is accustomed to rural or suburban-rural traffic then even downtown Beverly Hills will seem traffic-y most of the time.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Now we know you’re lying!! Never have I been to CA with “no traffic”
Bruce "no traffic" in So Cal is grid lock to most in other places. :p But yes there is that narrow window between 1:00am and 3:00am where on can get above 50mph for a few miles.
Seattle traffic sucks ass at rush hour times but eventually opens up. So Cal not so much anymore. There used to be that early afternoon gap after lunch you could get around but that has been gone for years. Now its 4:am to 9:00pm traffic. One of 123,456,789 reasons why we left California and one of the reasons we left Washington state, refusal to spend money on road infrastructure (interstate 5) is another.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
So my personal point of reference is being stuck in an often dirty, smelly Manhattan taxi, often driven by some grumpy person who barely speaks English, often having an argument because the driver does not want to put on the air conditioning to save gas, often taking 20 or more minutes to go a mile or two, and paying an average price of $10, versus enjoying driving my personal vehicle, in a temperature-controlled environment, listening to my favorite music, and talking on the telephone to my friends.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing