The best 5 speakers that you have had

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Haven't had any new speakers in a long time.

1. Avantgarde Duos circa early 2000's
2. TAD CM-1 (prototype of CR-1) (Recently acquired used for second system) around 2010
3. Quad 63USMonitor with Crosby Mod mid-late '80s
4. Acoustat 2+2 Early 1980's
5. Magnepan MG2167F (predecessor to MG-II) circa 1978

Tad sounds very dynamic and exciting.

I like that. ;)

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
1. Von Schweikert Ultra 9
2. Von Schweikert VR-9
3. Red Rose Classic
4. Martin Logan Sequel II
5. Magnepan MGIII

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Orgon sounded VERY impressive the one time I heard it in Munich.
You need only full balanced preamp with tubes, the intern class a amps sounds pretty good hard to beat if you like horns.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Von Schwekert and Magnepan, ML are well known.

But few people know Red Rose Classic speaker.

Could you give more of your experience on it?
Red Rose Classic Speakers have two 5 inch midrange drivers with a ribbon tweeter in between. A 10 inch woofer is mounted on the inner surface. Very musical at low to moderate listening levels. Works well in small to moderate spaces. I also used a REL subwoofer (Stadium). Didn't do well at high volumes. I used the Red Rose amplifier (tube EL 34).

Reactions: thomask

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Limiting to speakers I've had in my home. There are 3-4 other speakers that come to mind
that have been in the showroom that I've never had at home for want of space, i.e. relationship
preservation.

1) Destination Audio Vistas
1) Soul Sonic Hologramm X's
3) Ilumnia Magister
4) AER Drivers in Oris Horns with custom bass bins and XO
5) Apogee Studio Grand - custom XO

Reactions: thomask

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Please don’t get too obsessed with the fact that several of the best speakers I have had I currently have. This due to my connection with Rhapsody.audio. And this might come off as an advert is not my intention. Since I live with these I feel is OK to comment.

I had been listening to the Alsyvox Botticelli X for several months lately, only swapping them out for auditions. But I decided I should live with the big BAYZ Counterpoint 2.0s again for a while, and recently returned them to my listening room. These really are remarkable speakers that belie their interesting and unique shape. Whenever I go from Alsyvox to the Bayz, it takes me at least an evening to get calibrated to the omni directional presentation versus the dipole presentation of the Alsyvox. Thereafter I am repeated astounded just how great these speakers are, and it is difficult to go to bed I just want to hear more music.

I am frequently asked what is the better speaker of those I have on-hand… and I believe is really a matter of personal taste. Some like a Burgundy, some like a Cabernet, some like a Bordeaux but all wine lovers can appreciate great examples of each of them.

Interestingly, my wife really likes the Bayz aesthetic. She likes the Botticelli more, but the unique shape of the Bayz isn’t as “wierd” to her as she initially thought they’d be. She says “those are really fun to listen to.” The functioning parts of the speaker really don’t take up all that much space, is amazing the soundfield they present.

Last edited:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
May I investigate about number 5?
So, I had these prior to being in the business. I was looking for a new pair of speakers and wasn't getting a good listen (sub 6 figures) at the primary stores in my area. I had a long conversation with the salesman at the last store. He was an audio nut too, and told me he was selling his personal pair of speakers and invited me to his place to hear them. He had done all of the mods to them, so it was quick and easy. We were moving around a lot back in those days which eventually led to my reselling them.

Reactions: christoph

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Limiting to speakers I've had in my home. There are 3-4 other speakers that come to mind
that have been in the showroom that I've never had at home for want of space, i.e. relationship
preservation.

1) Destination Audio Vistas
1) Soul Sonic Hologramm X's
3) Ilumnia Magister
4) AER Drivers in Oris Horns with custom bass bins and XO
5) Apogee Studio Grand - custom XO
Nice ones.

I wish to have chance to listen to Destination Audio Vista.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Nice ones.

I wish to have chance to listen to Destination Audio Vista.
You are always welcome to come to Boston to hear them. We will probably have a pair at the Pacific Audio Fest this June.

Reactions: Solypsa and thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Please don’t get too obsessed with the fact that several of the best speakers I have had I currently have. This due to my connection with Rhapsody.audio. And this might come off as an advert is not my intention. Since I live with these I feel is OK to comment.

I had been listening to the Alsyvox Botticelli X for several months lately, only swapping them out for auditions. But I decided I should live with the big BAYZ Counterpoint 2.0s again for a while, and recently returned them to my listening room. These really are remarkable speakers that belie their interesting and unique shape. Whenever I go from Alsyvox to the Bayz, it takes me at least an evening to get calibrated to the omni directional presentation versus the dipole presentation of the Alsyvox. Thereafter I am repeated astounded just how great these speakers are, and it is difficult to go to bed I just want to hear more music.

I am frequently asked what is the better speaker of those I have on-hand… and I believe is really a matter of personal taste. Some like a Burgundy, some like a Cabernet, some like a Bordeaux but all wine lovers can appreciate great examples of each of them.

Interestingly, my wife really likes the Bayz aesthetic. She likes the Botticelli more, but the unique shape of the Bayz isn’t as “wierd” to her as she initially thought they’d be. She says “those are really fun to listen to.” The functioning parts of the speaker really don’t take up all that much space, is amazing the soundfield they present.
I agree with you that Audio is like tasting wines.

There is no best wine for everyone.

It depends on personal taste.

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
Hi all, I've been lurking and immensely enjoying What's Best for years. Didn't really know when and where to post first. This seemed like a good thread to enter. Kinda fun thinking back on the last 45+ years in regards to Loudspeakers. I was/am emotionally tied to all of them (including the Genesis they were sonically and visually gorgeous even with their bass issues).

Klipsch LaScalas- ringing tendency presented as hardness removed by covering back of midhorn with Plasticine modeling clay

Tangent RS2- had these concurrently w/ the LaScalas and listened pretty much to these only. Threshold 400A amp

Gale GS401A(Chrome caps and stands) Threshold 400A amp

Acoustat Monitor IVs(Mahogany caps Black)- first with their servo tube amps then with their transformers and a Threshold Stasis 2

Apogee Divas- first with passive Xovers and Stasis 2, then with their DAX3 active Xover w/ Stasis 2 on bass and Jadis Defy 7 on mids & tweets, finally another Defy 7 on mids and tweets. I did add a Carver sub crossed @ 40hz.

Genesis 350- Atmasphere MA-1s at first then Gilmore Audio Raptor monoblocks ( Atmaspheres were even hotter than two Defy 7s)

Gilmore Audio Model 2- first Mark Gilmore's Raptor monoblocks and Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters , currently Constellation Audio Centaur and Acapella Ion TW1S plasma tweeters

Had the LaScalas through most of high school class of '77. Found my first hi end audio store called Audio Components of Carmel shortly after. Owner Scott Appleby offered a wonderful trade up opportunity. Keep speakers in mint condition and original packing and receive full credit for a year. Bought the Tangents. Traded them in for the Gales. Finally traded the Gales for the Acoustats. If he hadn't closed shop I most likely would have traded once more for Beveridge 2SW-2s. Talk about enabling upgrade-itis. So by 1980 I was up to the Monitor IVs. I believe I enjoyed them immensely for about ten years? The Divas kept me satiated for the next twelve years. I had difficulties trying to tame the the bass overload the Genesis 350s caused in my listening room. The Divas left big shoes to fill. I threw in the towel after two years in 2004. It has been happily ever after with the Gilmore Model 2s. Every minute change (microscopic even) shows up sonically for almost 20 years.
Thanks for reading.
David

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks for coming out of hiding, David!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Hi all, I've been lurking and immensely enjoying What's Best for years. Didn't really know when and where to post first. This seemed like a good thread to enter. Kinda fun thinking back on the last 45+ years in regards to Loudspeakers. I was/am emotionally tied to all of them (including the Genesis they were sonically and visually gorgeous even with their bass issues).

Klipsch LaScalas- ringing tendency presented as hardness removed by covering back of midhorn with Plasticine modeling clay

Tangent RS2- had these concurrently w/ the LaScalas and listened pretty much to these only. Threshold 400A amp

Gale GS401A(Chrome caps and stands) Threshold 400A amp

Acoustat Monitor IVs(Mahogany caps Black)- first with their servo tube amps then with their transformers and a Threshold Stasis 2

Apogee Divas- first with passive Xovers and Stasis 2, then with their DAX3 active Xover w/ Stasis 2 on bass and Jadis Defy 7 on mids & tweets, finally another Defy 7 on mids and tweets. I did add a Carver sub crossed @ 40hz.

Genesis 350- Atmasphere MA-1s at first then Gilmore Audio Raptor monoblocks ( Atmaspheres were even hotter than two Defy 7s)

Gilmore Audio Model 2- first Mark Gilmore's Raptor monoblocks and Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters , currently Constellation Audio Centaur and Acapella Ion TW1S plasma tweeters

Had the LaScalas through most of high school class of '77. Found my first hi end audio store called Audio Components of Carmel shortly after. Owner Scott Appleby offered a wonderful trade up opportunity. Keep speakers in mint condition and original packing and receive full credit for a year. Bought the Tangents. Traded them in for the Gales. Finally traded the Gales for the Acoustats. If he hadn't closed shop I most likely would have traded once more for Beveridge 2SW-2s. Talk about enabling upgrade-itis. So by 1980 I was up to the Monitor IVs. I believe I enjoyed them immensely for about ten years? The Divas kept me satiated for the next twelve years. I had difficulties trying to tame the the bass overload the Genesis 350s caused in my listening room. The Divas left big shoes to fill. I threw in the towel after two years in 2004. It has been happily ever after with the Gilmore Model 2s. Every minute change (microscopic even) shows up sonically for almost 20 years.
Thanks for reading.
David
Nice Journey.

I would like to have had Diva but settled at Duetta sig for monetary reason on 1989.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing