The best sound I have heard was found at Jacob Heilbrunn's house.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The audacity of it hit every mark. As it should from someone in his position. :cool:

I found levity in the aftermath of these first shows exhibited the type of cool headedness that will need to reign as we collectively ride this out.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
What makes you think that the Parasound JC-1+ amps were the weakest link? Costs? Please elaborate as your inference says a lot about you and your publication. Curiously waiting on your educated insight?
Mostly my familiarity with the Gobel speakers, having heard them at many shows and with CH Precision and Timo's amps.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I changed the thread title. I never intended this to in any way minimize the success of the Capital Audio Fest. I was trying to be funny.

I praised Gary Gill and Christina Yuin and their entire team on TAS Facebook page over the weekend. It is truly a great show with a really relaxed feel. It kind of reminded me of the beloved RMAF where everyone is part of a large family.

Furthermore, I covered almost all of the rooms that were at the show, in spite of very limited time given the large number of business meetings I had with manufacturer executives.

Most of our Facebook posts on each are garnering well over 2,000 views and in one case involving the Borreson room over 12,000 views. TAS will continue to support manufacturers of all size.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtinn

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I could not agree more. I think it is really silly and totally disrespectful to all the people that worked their butts off to produce the show and to the hundreds of people that worked so hard to transport and set up all those rooms. The amount of effort is something most have no idea about. If Mr. Helibrunn had brought all that gear from his home and set it up at the show in one day now THAT would be impressive. Its no coincidence that that system has never been displayed at any show. VAC and VS have done their mega display at ALL the shows. Big difference!!!!
A 7 figure system in a custom designed room that took months and maybe years to design , build, install and set up with multiple people helping is not what happens at any show.
The title is silly and really disrespectful to Gary Gill and the dozens of others who went, worked and tried to show their gear.
I would be happy in a separate thread to discuss the exact process that we did. Just for kicks and giggles if anyone cares.
Thanks Jeffery T I though I was the only one.
OMG, taking things this seriously will only shorten your life. Lee simply expressed how impressed he was with Jacob's room. it is not worth your energy or time to address.

Reactions: Daverich4

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Jacob’s system now has a spotlight on it. Jay may now have to consider the Dartzeel amplifiers for his Wilson speakers in his lab. His YouTube videos are pretty widely viewed.
Jay and I talked a good bit at the show. He likes to experiment a lot and I think that's a good thing. I would definitely consider the Dartzeel if in the budget of the individual Wilson owner. Maybe some day I will own the stereo amp.

Jay has 7.2K subscribers on YouTube.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys, if Lee made a provocative title, have a go at him, a nice one-two, and let it go. No need to change the thread title!

don't we still have davey's sell your speakers for Alsyvox title?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A reviewers private system has nothing to do with a show with all its room/ set up complications

Ps I always say you have to compare membrane surface to membrane surface regarding honest system comparisons
An avalon isis against a magico m pro / wilson alexx.
Wison sasha daw against a magico S 5 avalon eidolon etc

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A reviewers private system has nothing to do with a show with all its room/ set up complications

Ps I always say you have to compare membrane surface to membrane surface regarding honest system comparisons
An avalon isis against a magico m pro / wilson alexx.
Wison sasha daw against a magico S 5 avalon eidolon etc

Only if comparing speakers at a certain price point. I am comparing in absolute terms, the best sound I have heard. In that case, it doesn't really matter what driver technology gets you to nirvana.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m not talking membrane tech but membrane surface .
A faithfull reproduction of a live event means moving a lot of air .
A small speaker will never be able to do that.
So comparing a big wamm/ subsonics system to smaller speakermodels in a manufacturers model line up at a show aint a fair comparison

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I was finally able to go to Jacob Heilbrunn's house and hear his sound system. It was breathtaking and even surpassed the WAMM installation at Dave Wilson's house.

As the photo will show, he had some exquisite gear, most notably an Air Force Zero with Graham and SAT tonearms and DS audio optical cartridge. Preamp and amp were Dartzeel which really impressed me. There was clearly something magical in the pairing of Wilson Audio WAMMs and the Dartzeel mono blocks. They are also the prettiest amplifiers I have seen. Digital which did not sound digital was the full Vivaldi stack.

Describing this fully in words is difficult but I think of two words, lifelike and effortless. Music just flowed so smoothly and naturally. Soundstage was deep and wide. You just could not locate where the speakers were if you closed your eyes.

A truly religious experience for me. It's valuable to hear how realistic the latest reference gear can be. Spooky good in many areas!

Perhaps even better was having a few hours to talk to Jacob. He is a very interesting and intelligent person. I am very glad we have him writing for The Absolute Sound.
Beautiful room, love the polys.

Reactions: Lee

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You guys think your upset? This thread caused me to go make an offer on a used Dartzeel amp. Lee may have cost me a bunch of money.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Jay and his audio lab. I paid Jay a reasonable $ for a phone consult with him. We never talked Dartzeel. He likes other amps that from what I have read, that voice a little different. I am a tube guy. I like to kick back and be immersed. But I do like detail. I have spent the last 2 weeks with my 15 ips RTR pouring over my 70 plus tapes through headphones. I find the details enthralling. At the same time I don't want clinical or chest pounding. I want rich music full of nuances to pour forth. So I'm trying to make a deal where A Dartzeel 108 Model1 can move me out of tubes for a while.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I m not talking membrane tech but membrane surface .
A faithfull reproduction of a live event means moving a lot of air .
A small speaker will never be able to do that.
So comparing a big wamm/ subsonics system to smaller speakermodels in a manufacturers model line up at a show aint a fair comparison
Where was I doing that?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Jay and his audio lab. I paid Jay a reasonable $ for a phone consult with him. We never talked Dartzeel. He likes other amps that from what I have read, that voice a little different. I am a tube guy. I like to kick back and be immersed. But I do like detail. I have spent the last 2 weeks with my 15 ips RTR pouring over my 70 plus tapes through headphones. I find the details enthralling. At the same time I don't want clinical or chest pounding. I want rich music full of nuances to pour forth. So I'm trying to make a deal where A Dartzeel 108 Model1 can move me out of tubes for a while.
Why would you pay Jay for a phone consult ? He is entertaining and has had a lot of nice gear in his garage, but a knowledgeable audiophile ? :oops:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
OMG, taking things this seriously will only shorten your life. Lee simply expressed how impressed he was with Jacob's room. it is not worth your energy or time to address.
well that's your opinion it wasn't mine. If magazines can critic my room and my products I can certainly critic their choice of words. They are in the "word " business aren't they? oh by the way don't tell me how and what I should think or do.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Why would you pay Jay for a phone consult ? He is entertaining and has had a lot of nice gear in his garage, but a knowledgeable audiophile ? :oops:
Becasue I am interested in a new amp. I actually am going to finalize a deal for the Dartzeel today. So who was I to ask about how different amps seem to voice? Should I have put anther post on a forum? Trusted the armchair experts who have never heard what they are talking about. Should I have called a dealer. Why not pay a small fee to talk with a guy who has listened to hundreds of amps. I believe there is value in that. Jay spent 50 minutes on the phone with me. Listened to what I like to listen too, how I listen, what my room and life is like. Then we went around about how all these units seem to fit into their nitch. It was very informative and I am happy to give someone a few bucks for insight into the years of knowlege they have built up. If anyone else were looking to make a multi thousand dollar purchase, why not spend a couple bucks to also hear a potentially less biased opinion.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Becasue I am interested in a new amp. I actually am going to finalize a deal for the Dartzeel today. So who was I to ask about how different amps seem to voice? Should I have put anther post on a forum? Trusted the armchair experts who have never heard what they are talking about. Should I have called a dealer. Why not pay a small fee to talk with a guy who has listened to hundreds of amps. I believe there is value in that. Jay spent 50 minutes on the phone with me. Listened to what I like to listen too, how I listen, what my room and life is like. Then we went around about how all these units seem to fit into their nitch. It was very informative and I am happy to give someone a few bucks for insight into the years of knowlege they have built up. If anyone else were looking to make a multi thousand dollar purchase, why not spend a couple bucks to also hear a potentially less biased opinion.
Why dont you go and hear a dart for yourself ?
No dealers around ??
Buying an amp on hearsay is not very wise imo .
Unless you have expirience with that manufacturer/ brand via owning a pre amp .

Ps you did hear one at fremers place ??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing