The best sound I have heard was found at Jacob Heilbrunn's house.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Not quite Jacob's house, but I'm another happy member of the Dartzeel family.

Attachments

• 20211120_085807.jpg
    20211120_085807.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 111

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Not quite Jacob's house, but I'm another happy member of the Dartzeel family.
You also changed your horn centerpiece in your PAPs to the coaxial one.
Can you say a few words about that? Maybe in a suitable PAP thread?

Reactions: Lee

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Reactions: christoph

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Apparently Lee who started the thread doesnt think so ;)
Haha! I have heard some terrific horn systems but I am more of a traditional tweeter/woofer guy.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Guys i admire your persistance to get the message across but horns just wont cut it for the" best sound " :)

View attachment 85096
I agree...never heard a horn I liked, even a little. Does not mean they don't exist, just means I have not sat in front of any that make me smile. Eventually a trip to Davids might change that perspective, I have heard no complaints from that room.
To be fair I have only heard them in show environments, big rooms and small.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes sort of agree cannot think of any "horn" system that lived up to its hype except--

The very imposing Yamamura beige wooden versions that were being demoed at The UK Penta Show 20 or more odd years ago.

I have not heard the much lauded WE Munich demos but the scaled down version

demoed by Joe Roberts at a CES( I think but may have been RMAF)memory escaping moi!

unfortunately didn't get much of a chance to listen to the demo if I recall Joe wouldn't shut up :rolleyes:

Owned Klipschorn's in the 80's but possibly did not appreciate their attributes fully--but they did deliver great dynamics alright!

Horns do have a welcome place still--after all look at their heritage history--they made the groundwork !

So just Horses for Courses:)

Carry on Chaps,

BruceD

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yamamura, not yamamoto

Reactions: BruceD

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
So just Horses for Courses:)
Yes but if one horse states the other horse is basically deaf or doesnt know what he is talking about , be ready for some pushback :) .

Coming back to japanese horns and sound .
As a motorcyclist a horn i can certainly admire soundwise is the Yamaha R1 sc project exhaust, unfortunately this open exhaust is banned on the street :p

Attachments

• YAMAHA_R1_SC_PROJECT_POT_ECHAPPEMENT_SCPROJECT_POT_ECHAPPEMENT_R1M_SILENCIEUX_S1_SCPROJECT_102...jpg
    YAMAHA_R1_SC_PROJECT_POT_ECHAPPEMENT_SCPROJECT_POT_ECHAPPEMENT_R1M_SILENCIEUX_S1_SCPROJECT_102...jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 12

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes but if one horse states the other horse is basically deaf or doesnt know what he is talking about , be ready for some pushback :) .

Agreed. It's good to push back when things smell a bit like a cult.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
About 6 weeks to upgrade my 108 Model 1 to a Model 2. Plus transit time to and from Europe/US. Hervé was also down with the virus during a portion of that time. So, I don't know about you, but I cannot find anything to complain about there.
Exactly, Most manufacturers do not offer upgrades. Kondo Japan, does not, for example. At least not to my knowledge, and they are cranking out the products (more for the sake of releasing new products, in my opinion).

Reactions: bazelio

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Jay and his audio lab. I paid Jay a reasonable $ for a phone consult with him. We never talked Dartzeel. He likes other amps that from what I have read, that voice a little different. I am a tube guy. I like to kick back and be immersed. But I do like detail. I have spent the last 2 weeks with my 15 ips RTR pouring over my 70 plus tapes through headphones. I find the details enthralling. At the same time I don't want clinical or chest pounding. I want rich music full of nuances to pour forth. So I'm trying to make a deal where A Dartzeel 108 Model1 can move me out of tubes for a while.
I have a Kondo Japan tube system: M77 and Souga (2A3), and a DarTZeel system (108 + 18NS) coming. I will post my findings on how they compare if you’re interested. From what I gather from other reviews, the DarTZeel will have all of the benefits with none of the drawbacks of tubes… but we’ll see - Kondo Japan products are unmatched in many respects - especially when paired with the right speakers (I.e., high efficiency horns, unless you have Kaguras).

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a Kondo Japan tube system: M77 and Souga (2A3), and a DarTZeel system (108 + 18NS) coming. I will post my findings on how they compare if you’re interested. From what I gather from other reviews, the DarTZeel will have all of the benefits with none of the drawbacks of tubes… but we’ll see - Kondo Japan products are unmatched in many respects - especially when paired with the right speakers (I.e., high efficiency horns, unless you have Kaguras).

Its difficult to beat a 2a3 except by the likes of 45, 46, etc, provided your speakers can be driven by such flea watts

Which 2a3 tubes are you using

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing