The Colibri “Master Signature”

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I love my Emia phono with silver SUT. And, yes, designed to be used with the Emia AVC pre. I suggest the silver version there too. For anyone in the US, Jeffrey Jackson and Dave allow in home demos. Maybe overseas if you ask nicely. They're not in constant production but I do know that a new batch is just getting assembled and ready to go.... Pro tip: ask for them to supply the D3a and E280f tubes with the unit so you can choose between them. I like the D3a, but both have their place.

Hi,

What are the US list prices of the 2 Emias respectively?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

What are the US list prices of the 2 Emias respectively?

It would be 3 Emia's in total for Bazelio. Emia preamp, Emia phono pre and Emia SUT... SE preamp (silver) is 5.4k usd and balanced preamp (silver) is 7.5k usd. The list price for the phono is 12.5k usd. I do not know the price for the sut...

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is not related to Mr.Hakim's issue. Ddk and I found the vdh has a really strong magnetism. If the surface of your platter has strong composition of steel, the magnet will pull so much it bottom out from the start. It happened to me before ddk changed the my AS2000's top platter to "secretive" material (just has to say that to make it sounds supremacy :p).

stainless is not magnetic..."A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. ... However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic. "

and what is this secret platter ? I know nothing of this other than the changed shaped of the stainless platter on V2.0. Want to chime in David ??? ;)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It would be 3 Emia's in total for Bazelio. Emia preamp, Emia phono pre and Emia SUT... SE preamp (silver) is 5.4k usd and balanced preamp (silver) is 7.5k usd. The list price for the phono is 12.5k usd. I do not know the price for the sut...

Emia SUT info here: http://myemia.com/_LP.html As you'll see, he offers copper and silver at different price levels, and when you buy one, he winds it so as to be a match for your cart.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
"Sir, sir, only one more question" :D
Wonderful :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Loved that show as a kid and beyond. Every episode the same and every episode had that famous one more question scene. :)
Same here :cool:
I see Columbo right now in front of my inner eye, reaching his hand high up while saying: "Sir, sir, only one more question" :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Same here :cool:
I see Columbo right now in front of my inner eye, reaching his hand high up while saying: "Sir, sir, only one more question" :D
Ooh Get over it citizen of Liechtenstein. You old white hair like to flash back to good old days. :p

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Ooh Get over it citizen of Liechtenstein. You old white hair like to flash back to good old days. :p
Fond memories are what they are: fond memories.
Nothing more and certainly nothing less ;)
Btw: I'm ash blond, not graveyard blond :p

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I moved the 1.1mv back to SME/AS2000 and 0.5mv to Axiom/927 last Thursday. Now both sound stunning as they should. I expected that from the 1.1mv/SME/AS2000 because it was my go to combo on chamber and classical before. What was skeptical was the reconditioned 0.5mv /Axiom/927. But it turns out to sound even better than three days ago when the 1.1 mv was on it somehow. Mr. Vanden Hul has his magic for us to make it to good use. We just need to find how.

To Mr.VDH, cheers.
Tang

Tang, when you switched the cartridges, did you adjust the arm heights at all? I wonder if there is a slight variation in the distance from top of cartridge to stylus tip, or of the VTA. I recently watched a video of AJ vdHul make a cartridge and he seems to apply adhesive to the parts to keep everything in place. I wonder if this accounts for some variations in dimensions. I suspect each individual sample needs to be set up precisely and independently in each arm.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
the Master Signature 1.1mv. has landed. installed it tonight on the Saskia/Tosca. been listening for a few hours now. at first running 1.55 VTF, now at 1.42 VTF seems a bit more balanced.

actually quite well behaved. not really very edgy, but plenty of energy in the top frequencies (like real life). to my ears that serves the music. i really like it so far.

2 hours in---first impressions; (1) it's a space machine, (2) the tonal density of the Saskia compliments the frequency balance of the Master Signature nicely, (3) a staggering amount of detail and texture, maybe the ultimate 'veils lifted' cart (4) the sound stage is exceptionally revealed into the far recesses, (5) it unravels complex passages with ease, and maintains a musical sense no matter what (6) super fast, delicate and nuanced........and (7) is happy with all types of music so far......but certainly has it's own take on things.

most of that stuff are also attributes of the Anna Diamond to one degree or another......except that 'plenty of high frequency' thing. too soon otherwise for any comparisons.

View attachment 56708

Congratulations Mike. Have you been listening to this MSS? How many hours, how does it sound, and how does it compare to the AnnaD? Beautiful photos, BTW. Also, what loading are you using and is the arm level, tail up or tail down?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations Mike. Have you been listening to this MSS? How many hours, how does it sound, and how does it compare to the AnnaD? Beautiful photos, BTW. Also, what loading are you using and is the arm level, tail up or tail down?

not been listening to the vdH Master Signature.

the MSS has been idle along with the Saskia and my Telos Sapphire tone arm these last three to four weeks waiting for Win to complete the Telos arm board for the Saskia. not long after i wrote those first impressions i installed the Anna D on the Tosca and switched it to the NVS.

so really nothing more to add at this point. i am anxious to listen to the Saskia--Telos Sapphire--MSS when i can. i had not got far enough into my listening with the MSS to determine optimal loading. i was running with the rear very slightly above level but, like i said, it was early.

my info is that the MSS is one cartridge that needs hours to get going. looking forward to getting back on that. in the meantime slumming it with the Anna D.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't own the Master Signature Stradivarius, but I do have an older Colibri XPP which was just repaired with a new cantilever/stylus and damper after an unfortunate accident (shirt snagging). I have been experimenting lately with adjusting effective mass and inertia with all of my cartridges. Last night, I replaced heavier mounting screws (0.57g each) with much lighter ones (0.18g each) from SME allowing me to move the counterweight sled closer to the pivot thus reducing both inertia and effective mass. Taking 1.0g off of the weight at the headshell and adjusting the weight position have improved the overall sound.

The effective mass of my SME V-12 arm is 12 grams and between 10-11 grams for the SME V arm. I've read reports that Mr. vd Hull uses the SME V in his system, so I wanted to reduce the effective mass of my cartridge/arm system to see how the sound would change.

I can report that in my system, the sound is smoother, more relaxed, has better flow, and seems to have more resolution. Dynamics seem the same. There is less HF distortion. It basically sounds more natural. It "seems to have less sibilance". Say that out loud. Hear the "SSSs"? Sure. That is natural. When those SSSs sound shrill, fatiguing, that is either in the recording or an indication of HF distortion. I listened to a bunch of choral music last night as well as Holst's Planets. I clearly heard the SSS sound from the voices, both massed and individual, but it was not excessive. It sounded like what I hear live, when I pay attention to how someone speaks or sings. In fact, it added a sense of realism to hear this. If it is too tamed, or muted, it loses its sense of life for me. I heard the same with the trumpets. They remained piercing but with less distortion. Cleaner.

Reading the various reports in this thread about the sibilance with the MSS, I have to wonder if it is really just recording dependent, a result of the way the cartridge/arm have been set up, some attribute of the rest of the system, or an inherent characteristic of the cartridge. My experience with the Colibri suggests to me that it is not the latter, unless there is significant sample to sample variation. The Colibri certainly has more HF energy than my ATir Tight Supreme or MSL Gold, but it is not excessively sibilant, at least as currently set up.

Here are two photos of the cartridge showing the mounting screws which have a weight difference of 0.5 grams each:

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is great, Peter!

I am always impressed with your zero cost efforts to improve the sound of your analog playback system!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That is great, Peter!

I am always impressed with your zero cost efforts to improve the sound of your analog playback system!

Ron, I am both cheap and patient. I am also curious about this stuff and willing to learn and admit I know very little. Just a lot of trial and error in an attempt to improve sound and my enjoyment of my records.

I'm also stubborn, and despite Bonzo's best efforts to wake me up and convince me to sell my gear and go tube/horn and away from SME, I soldier on, fighting the good fight. ;) DDK has also set me straight on tweaks.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter, my suggestions won't be zero cost, they will put money back in your pocket :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, my suggestions won't be zero cost, they will put money back on your pocket :)

Making money is great, Ked, but more important to me is having my own actual system which I can enjoy in the comfort of my living room with my audio buddies over on occasion. When I travel, it is into town to hear the BSO. I sometimes drive ten minutes to hear Al M.'s wonderful system, but I can always return to my beloved Sublime Sound. :eek:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing