The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
It would be really nice to get d1-streamer without USB cable and maybe upgrade later.......:)
Without USB cable the price of TD and NB would be roughly the same.

Matt

Yes . this is great idea.
At start you are going to have much better version than mine.
my totaldac streamer when I was comparing it with NB was without live trafo , without gigafilter and older streamer board And it was still much better than NB.
So in your situation the choice Is simple :)

Again . Also No risk with Vincent return policy.

Reactions: matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Yes . this is great idea.
At start you are going to have much better version than mine.
my totaldac streamer when I was comparing it with NB was without live trafo , without gigafilter and older streamer board And it was still much better than NB.
So in your situation the choice Is simple :)
Again . Also No risk with Vincent return policy.

Agree,
but first looking forward to Vincent's answer to my question from post #193.

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi Vincent,

looking for some time for a Qobuz streaming solution from a Mac/Audirvana like this configuration:

The Mac/Audirvana receives Qobuz streaming via Wifi and send it via Audirvana/UPnP streaming (Mac Internet sharing selected) to a directly with ethernet cable connected totaldac d1-streamer.

Do you or some of your customers have experience with such a set-up and if yes, what about the SQ?

Thank you

Matt

Hi Matthias,
I didn't see your question sorry.
I don't know if this is possible. Usually a computer is connected to the local network via Wifi or ethernet. Internet comes also from this local network
A customer told me that he uses his MAC directly connected to the d1-streamer via an ethernet cable, maybe this is the configuration you are talking about.
For my demo system I don't use a MAC but the d1-player.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi Vincent,

I would like to ask an additional question regarding the new d1-streamer:

From totaldac HP:
"The d1-streamer is composed of a Totaldac reclocker, a new Totaldac streamer board, a Totaldac USB GIGAFILTER loop and a new Totaldac live-power external power supply."

Does this mean the d1-streamer comes as standard with USB GIGAFILTER and live-power external power supply?
Thanks

Matt

Yes the d1-streamer is a package including the GIGAFILTER and live-power.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
A customer told me that he uses his MAC directly connected to the d1-streamer via an ethernet cable, maybe this is the configuration you are talking about.

Hi Vincent,
yes I think it is.

In the manual of d1-streamer you mentioned Audirvana UPnP.
Does this work without issues?
Thanks

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi Vincent,
yes I think it is.

In the manual of d1-streamer you mentioned Audirvana UPnP.
Does this work without issues?
Thanks

Matt

The d1-streamer is fully compatible with upnp/dlna, even open home. So that works with Audirvana, Jriver and minimserver for example. Even works also for DSD DoP when the right setting are set.

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
Hi have been looking at new products for a new music server/streamer had also been looking at the SGM Extreme or their new product but its too pricey for me at the minute and also too heavy for where its going. Just want to clear this up does the D1 Player basically replace your Mac/PC in your system if you want to run Roon ? If I bought the D1 Streamer and wanted to use Roon then I would have to do it through my Mac/PC is that right but if I just wanted to stream music with Qobuz Sublime then the Streamer would do fine. Is that the difference ?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi,
Yes the d1-player replaces a computer running Roon or a NAS running Roon or running minimserver for upnp.

The d1-streamer is RoonReady, it means that it can receive audio from Roon (running in a computer or in a d1-player).

If you just need to receive Qobuz then the d1-streamer only is enough, in this case you can use MConnect HD application on Ipad for example. You can't use Roon interface.
If you want to use Roon interface to control Qobuz then you need a computer or a Roon Nucleus or a d1-player to run Roon.

The d1-player is made to be optimised for the sound quality and made to be a fully turnkey solution.

Reactions: CKKeung

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I am very happy using recommended by Vincent mconnect from my ipad to run my
totaldac streamer.
This streamer sends the stream direct to the totaldac 24 . The best DAC created.
With mconnect app you can play using one application from NAS, Qobus , Tidal ...

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
mconnect app is nice. I prefer ROON. The D1 Streamer is exceedingly robust, and of the many streamers I have designed/built/reviewed/purchased this is the easiest, maintenance free and frankly the best sounding of them all. I am actually impressed with the price it is offered, less than most of the units I have used previously.

The D1 Streamer benefits from an optimized network and player. You would be doing yourself a disservice by using a MAC/PC.

Reactions: CKKeung and Kris

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
mconnect app is nice. I prefer ROON. The D1 Streamer is exceedingly robust, and of the many streamers I have designed/built/reviewed/purchased this is the easiest, maintenance free and frankly the best sounding of them all. I am actually impressed with the price it is offered, less than most of the units I have used previously.

The D1 Streamer benefits from an optimized network and player. You would be doing yourself a disservice by using a MAC/PC.

I highly agree with your opinion.
My experience was and still is excellent with TotalDAC Streamer.
I prefer little better the SQ with mconnect over the roon + nucleus , but they are very close .

I also had many different streamers and diy servers in the past.
For last few years TotalDAC was my choice.

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
Can anyone say if they’ve heard the D1 Streamer through Spdif and how does it compare to both USB and AES, my Dac doesn’t do upsampling so I’m not bothered by that just how it sounds up to and including 24/192

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Why yes! Coax. No issues, no digital noise or dropouts. Sound presentation is not identical but equally good. Remember the upstream signal is fundamentally different.

Honestly, I have no reason to go anywhere else. The music is holographic, emotional, engaging. For the first time in a very long journey, no criticisms.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thanks, just don’t see many people mentioning Spdif as much as AES or USB

Shaned,
USB is technically very different from coax and AES-EBU, but coax is very close to AES-EBU, roughly it is the same spdif signal in both case. Only the voltage changes and the single end / balance difference, but roughly it is the same.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I wish I knew of TotalDac earlier in my journey and simply focused on the evolution of Vincent's product line over those years. It would have been hour of enjoyment in place of frustration and economically much, much more efficient.

"When two lovers ask each other where have they been all their lives, today I can relate. The time, frustration and headache not to mention the loss of investment and hours of enjoyment, purchasing dacs based on internet popularity and online reviews and only being left wanting, questioning why I just do not 'get' what others understand -- retrograde focus being insightful - I wish I learned about TD early on, and like Paul upgraded as the product line evolved.

Or I can argue that because of this journey for what it was I appreciate what presents before me today.

Vincent, thank you!"

Reactions: caesar

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks, just don’t see many people mentioning Spdif as much as AES or USB

The problem is they think AES is better.
The reality is that TotaDac streamer is excellent via all inputs .
I tried them all and the sound is little different in each, so you can be very flexible
to what fits best your system.
In every case you should be super happy.
It is just personal preference and system balance to pick the right input for your ears.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing