The first Totaldac D1-Twelve Mk2 DAC in Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Vincent,
Congratulations for launching the new aes/ebu cable!
Any additional info that you can share with us, such as the wire material, the sonic effect ...etc?
Many thanks!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I will try to take more time to share my experience, about the cable and about the rest, you are right.

This cable uses very large sections of conductors (both for low electrical resistance and for high weight / low vibrations). It uses pure copper.
It also uses a large thickness of mechanical damping, again to avoid microphonics effects, and you can really hear that.
This damping, based on cotton, is completely hand made. Any length can be done but each added meter adds as much extra hand work.
The diameter is large but it is still extremely flexible, so very easy to use and not fragile at all.
Chaining many cables still work at 192KHz, showing that one cable will work at 192KHz with a lot of margin (which is clearly not the case with some high cost AES-EBU cables).

About the sound, I found too many AES-EBU cables having air in the sound, or having body and good bass, but very few have both. This is what I wanted, grip, articulation, cobtrol, weight in bass and 3D air and no-metallic treble, with good timbre in classical music. The adjustments were done with the Totaldac d150-anniversary speakers and the Magico M6 mostly.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I will try to take more time to share my experience, about the cable and about the rest, you are right.

This cable uses very large sections of conductors (both for low electrical resistance and for high weight / low vibrations). It uses pure copper.
It also uses a large thickness of mechanical damping, again to avoid microphonics effects, and you can really hear that.
This damping, based on cotton, is completely hand made. Any length can be done but each added meter adds as much extra hand work.
The diameter is large but it is still extremely flexible, so very easy to use and not fragile at all.
Chaining many cables still work at 192KHz, showing that one cable will work at 192KHz with a lot of margin (which is clearly not the case with some high cost AES-EBU cables).

About the sound, I found too many AES-EBU cables having air in the sound, or having body and good bass, but very few have both. This is what I wanted, grip, articulation, cobtrol, weight in bass and 3D air and no-metallic treble, with good timbre in classical music. The adjustments were done with the Totaldac d150-anniversary speakers and the Magico M6 mostly.
Can't wait to audition one at Ben Lau's showroom!
:D

Thanks Vincent!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
Here is the first test using a pair of external microphones to record a Totaldac system playing Mozart in the main Totaldac demo room in France. The Totaldac d150-anniversary horn speakers are playing. The Magico M6 are not playing here, they will be recorded later. The source is Totaldac d1-player + d1-streamer + d1-twelve-mk2 DAC. The amplifier is the Totaldac Amp-1, driven by a pair of d1-drivers. The omnidirectional microphones are installed at the listening place, so you hear what is happening at the listening place, including the room acoustics.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This sounds excellent
Can you please record it lauder.
It is very low volume.

It also could be little longer than 19 seconds.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
This sounds excellent
Can you please record it lauder.
It is very low volume.

It also could be little longer than 19 seconds.

Yes I will make longer recordings and with appropriate level once I have received the microphones. This video was made when I had the microphones on loan. Now I need to receive the ordered new microphones to make more videos.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I consider the D1 Direct one of the best value on the market today. For those more conservative with investments, this is one that will be held on for a very long time if not the final purchase.

Even if it is an initial stretch to purchase, I know I would have saved money longterm not cycling through four or more units before settling on Totaldac.

Price to performance, this is the unit I would consider.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A new Totaldac d1-streamer software is available for Roon users (and later for UPNP and Airplay).

Here is a review about it by Michael Lavorgna:
"totaldac Streamer Update: What A Difference A RTOS Can Make"

And this is the reason why anyone running Windows or Linux should set the music app / engine of their choice's priority to "Realtime". There is a noticeable uptick in quality.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I consider the D1 Direct one of the best value on the market today. For those more conservative with investments, this is one that will be held on for a very long time if not the final purchase.

Even if it is an initial stretch to purchase, I know I would have saved money longterm not cycling through four or more units before settling on Totaldac.

Price to performance, this is the unit I would consider.
Agree 100%.
There is an upgrade path too : adding the Totaldac Reclocker gives significant sonic improvement in every aspects.

Also, the Direct with a Reclocker can be further upgraded to Twelve dac too!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A new microSD card software is available for the Totaldac d1-streamer.
It is now based on a new Real Time operating system for an even better sound.

There are three software versions, because less applications running means a better sound.
-one with all functionalities: Roon RAAT (Roon Ready) + upnp + Airplay + HQplayer NAA.
-one with Roon RAAT (Roon Ready) + HQplayer NAA, usable for Roon controlling HQplayer, or for HQplayer only
-one with Roon RAAT (Roon Ready) functionality only, so usable only for people using exclusively Roon.

So you can now get a better sound using the interface of your choice: Roon, HQplayer, Mconnect, Linn Kazoo, Bubble UPNP, Airplay...
To improve the sound again you can add an additional Totaldac reclocker and keep your favorite control interface.

The d1-player is also the ideal companion for the d1-streamer. It is like a NAS but fully optimized for the sound quality (hardware and software) and powerful enough to run any audio software.

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
Dear all, what would be the better Choice: A used Totaldac D1 Six with newest Software Or a new d1 tube mk2?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Dear all, what would be the better Choice: A used Totaldac D1 Six with newest Software Or a new d1 tube mk2?
The new software is for the d1-streamer and for the streamer board option for DAC, but not for a DAC alone.

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
The new software is for the d1-streamer and for the streamer board option for DAC, but not for a DAC alone.
Ok i got that point, but any conclusions which Dac Would be the better choice, if there is a opportunity for a d1 six for at a lower price point as a new d1 tube mk2?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Ok i got that point, but any conclusions which Dac Would be the better choice, if there is a opportunity for a d1 six for at a lower price point as a new d1 tube mk2?
The answer depends on your system and possibly also on your taste because the d1-six has a class A transistor output stage and the d1-tube-mk2 has a triode output stage.
Also the d1-six has RCA and balanced output whereas the d1-tube-mk2 has unbalanced outputs only.
What is the rest of your system composed of? You can also answer privately by e-mail if you prefer so.

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
The answer depends on your system and possibly also on your taste because the d1-six has a class A transistor output stage and the d1-tube-mk2 has a triode output stage.
Also the d1-six has RCA and balanced output whereas the d1-tube-mk2 has unbalanced outputs only.
What is the rest of your system composed of? You can also answer privately by e-mail if you prefer so.
I use a Aurender N100H as Server/Streamer and a acousticplan Aruna 300B as amplifier. Living Voice Speakers. i prefer to be on the warmer emotional side. But the Aruna brings very much of this to the table, so the Dac could maybe be more on Resolution and Soundstage, if he do Not kill the emotions. thanks for sharing your ideas.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I use a Aurender N100H as Server/Streamer and a acousticplan Aruna 300B as amplifier. Living Voice Speakers. i prefer to be on the warmer emotional side. But the Aruna brings very much of this to the table, so the Dac could maybe be more on Resolution and Soundstage, if he do Not kill the emotions. thanks for sharing your ideas.
So single ended output is fine.
If you think that your system is giving already too much triode characteristics then go to d1-six.
Else the d1-tube-mk2 is what you are looking for: warmer emotional side as you said.

A d1-direct would be perfect as well.

In any case a Totaldac relcocker will very much help the Aurender.

Reactions: Fohlenfan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing