The Missing Music

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I can't speak to mastering quality. I don't know.

I like this album for reviewers due to the challenges it presents to a standard 2CH system. I also think metal music is totally absent from reviews. I think there are a variety of reasons reviewers and audio shows cling to to the same 3 piece jazz productions from the 60s.

I also like AJFA because it was the last Metallica album with the garage band sound. Very shortly after AJFA, Metallica became an arena metal band. Naturally, the music had to adapt to their new status.

Hey DallasJ,

So I re-read the HifiCritic article on Metallica, and also went thru a couple albums. I went with Metallica, the one that came out just after And Justice for All...remastered version from Japan 2nd hand. I was surprised at how much I liked the snips from amazon and am really excited to hear the album.

FWIW, the guys at Hificritic did say AJFA was their favourite album, but wanting to get a 'soft start', Metallica seemed to be an extremely well sold album, and also one of their best mastered...the reviewer said 'Good/Outstanding' on music and 'Outstanding' on recording quality. That, with the snips from Amazon, and I am on my way. First metal album ever! Thanks for the recommendation. The closest I have really come is Linkin Park which is very, very different and really more draws some inspiration from thrash, metal I think alongside hip hop, rap, etc...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll always have great memories of Metallica, my cousin (RIP) opened for them when they played in Manila. When it comes to Metal however, I am extremely biased. Give me big paper coned speakers baby!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I left Metal years ago and have no interest in going back. Damn I sound like an old man! :p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I never went, though it was played around the house for years;)

I was a pretty big Sabbath fan in the days and, of course others as well, but I've moved on. Never listened to folk in those heady times of the 60's, but I do now and enjoy it. Electronica? Naw...no thanks. House/Trance? Again...no thanks. I don't mind some of all those genres in small doses, but not enough to cue up an entire LP of it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What I do really like though is those albums that Todd Garfinkle puts out. Wish I could afford to buy more of them. One day.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I left Metal years ago and have no interest in going back. Damn I sound like an old man! :p

I did too which is probably why its not used by middle-aged reviewers;) that, and the standard for many reviewers has always been unamplified instruments in a natural acoustic. the one category that fits best is classical music and symphonic recordings, many of which have wide ranging dynamics that will tax even the most ambitious systems and tell you nearly everything you need to know about the gear. no one - except for the artist - really knows what a metal album should sound like because its synthetic, running through multiple layers of amplification, eq. limiting, compression, etc. imo, Its anyone's guess if a system can accurately reproduce metal music or not.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There is no doubt when reviewers "review" and manufacturers "show" that musical choices are selected based on what they think a speaker should be able to bring forth or to show a particular design attribute. Nothing wrong what that. However, it does get kind of boring when both parties seem to cross similar paths at times. This is where I like Gary's approach by introducing new (to show goers) music. This should be applauded and encouraged. To take it a step further, I don't think it should just be about picking music that makes the grade in terms of sonic excellence. Play a recording that is considered well done...not a sonic masterpiece, not a dog either....you know, the kind of stuff we all have in our collections and are accessible.

I'm listening to Murray Head-Say It Ain't So right now. Wonderfully recorded and mastered at Sterling Sound, but it's no dynamic powerhouse. It is still very, very enjoyable and I'm quite satisfied with the presentation. I'd love to see those types of recordings at shows, because that's most music fan's reality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Now, THAT is the What's Best Forum at it its best :D

Bravo, LL21 for taking the plunge.

Thanks, dallasjustice for starting this thread.

;)!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Awesome:

infinity.jpg

King Crimson- Islands (I have a white label promo of the American press; for sure don't bother with the later cover versions...). I do demos with this at every show I do.
King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon (get a Pink Island edition if you can...).

This is another one I have played at shows a lot:

recordings.jpeg

These are out-takes that did not make the Signify LP. This is right near the cutoff of Porcupine Tree for me, this and their earlier material seems to be their best stuff.

If you can find an original of Voyage 34, that is a really fun LP too, but stay away from the reissue- it is compressed and lifeless, like someone crammed it though a laptop set up with ProTools...

voyage.jpeg

Anything on Harmonia Mundi of the Atrium Musicae de Madrid is spectacular sound, here is an example:

musicae.jpeg

Attachments

• distant.jpeg
    distant.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 115

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Awesome:

View attachment 16761

King Crimson- Islands (I have a white label promo of the American press; for sure don't bother with the later cover versions...). I do demos with this at every show I do.
King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon (get a Pink Island edition if you can...).

This is another one I have played at shows a lot:

View attachment 16762

These are out-takes that did not make the Signify LP. This is right near the cutoff of Porcupine Tree for me, this and their earlier material seems to be their best stuff.

If you can find an original of Voyage 34, that is a really fun LP too, but stay away from the reissue- it is compressed and lifeless, like someone crammed it though a laptop set up with ProTools...

View attachment 16763

Anything on Harmonia Mundi of the Atrium Musicae de Madrid is spectacular sound, here is an example:

View attachment 16765

speaking of Crimson and Porcupine Tree:

Steven Wilson's King Crimson's DVD-A remixes and remasters of the first 5 or 6 albums are the definitive versions bar none.

You get closer to the actual music then ever before possible due to going direct from the multi tracks to 96 Khz digital. Simply jaw dropping, mind blowing. Islands is a particular favorite of mine, then Lizard, Poseiden, and of course the first album.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Islands? Really? :D
I think it's my least favourite of the classic 70s KC!
But I agree on the remixes/remasters, Mr. Wilson has been doing a great job. I even mentioned this in a different thread, since he's covering a lot of classic prog with this reissue series (Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, etc.)
Highly recommended stuff. It's a shame Genesis screwed up their remix/remaster project...

alexandre

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Islands? Really? :D
I think it's my least favourite of the classic 70s KC!
But I agree on the remixes/remasters, Mr. Wilson has been doing a great job. I even mentioned this in a different thread, since he's covering a lot of classic prog with this reissue series (Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, etc.)
Highly recommended stuff. It's a shame Genesis screwed up their remix/remaster project...

alexandre

Uh huh, Islands rules!

yep, the Tull and yes projects are incredible. He chose a rather weak Gentle Giant album to start with however..IMO.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Uh huh, Islands rules!

yep, the Tull and yes projects are incredible. He chose a rather weak Gentle Giant album to start with however..IMO.

Let me guess? Your fave would be "Civilian"? Or "Missing piece"? :D

alexandre

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Steven Wilson's King Crimson's DVD-A remixes and remasters of the first 5 or 6 albums are the definitive versions bar none.
Fine releases those are. Enjoy them quite a bit
The K2's have, surprisingly a lower noise floor, to my ears and H/ W. So depending on my mood they still get played fairly often.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I can't speak to mastering quality. I don't know.

I like this album for reviewers due to the challenges it presents to a standard 2CH system. I also think metal music is totally absent from reviews. I think there are a variety of reasons reviewers and audio shows cling to to the same 3 piece jazz productions from the 60s.

I also like AJFA because it was the last Metallica album with the garage band sound. Very shortly after AJFA, Metallica became an arena metal band. Naturally, the music had to adapt to their new status.

Now, THAT is the What's Best Forum at it its best :D

Bravo, LL21 for taking the plunge.

Thanks, dallasjustice for starting this thread.

Well, turns out the Metallica remastered CD arrived and its an SHM-CD remastered in Japan with half-English, half-Japanese and those Obi things...cool. And the album is GREAT. Am I buying more Metallica? Honestly, I don't think so. I have so many genres of music I prefer more...lets' face it...after nearly 1800 albums with NO METAL, I finally got O-N-E. But its a good album, and my wife was amused from her college days so that too is fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing