The necessity for absolute tt speed control

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Its funny how the tiny, inexpensive and humble Phoenix Roadrunner is embarrassing the industry’s Emperors....it should come with the warning: Do not use ... for your peace of mind ...

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Its funny how the tiny Phoenix Roadrunner is embarrassing the industry’s Emperors
Yes Bill is very talented, i did consider VPI and Walker solutions but finally decided on Phoenix.
3B44CBB4-122A-4084-95BA-43DD3F558456.jpeg 16107656-6C0A-4994-A68C-A621B7F0947B.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Please can someone share a link to where I can buy this?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I really like your turntable by the way
It’s a Mongrel TT with inspiration from Walker and add -ons stolen from DDK and Micro-Seiki :rolleyes:

Vienna

VIP/Donor

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) If you try to measure a period with a small level, you can not measure the instantaneous state, so you measure the average value. Therefore, fine vibration generated by servo control can not be measured by the measuring instrument, it depends on the human ear. (...)

Mike,
Do you realize you are also describing the intrinsic "problem" of the control system of your isolation active tables or of our reel to reel tape decks? ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's a shame that this tt drive system can't be modified to rim drive. I'd have certainly been very interested.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Just purchased a couple of Studer motors for potential TT upgrade. One is a real freaky version made for Phillips test department.

E4A9D1EC-E02E-46A6-A1B4-55DF106AD4BA.png AEA138DF-7E18-4B40-988B-1D048D930D4B.png

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most Studer capstan motors are Papst three phase synchronous motors with an integral tachometer - plenty of choices for the drive electronics!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Most Studer capstan motors are Papst three phase synchronous motors with an integral tachometer - plenty of choices for the drive electronics!
Yes, and this is all your idea Fransisco ! I will contact you again once it lands. Looked at the diagram for the Studer A 80, you where right it’s running on 130 V. I had already purchased A 810 motor from Israel when i found this beast in Holland. Luckily the seller let me cancel the sale. Where did you get the special lubrication for the capstan bearing ?Please don’t say Nagravox in Australia ! I ordered but, the 70$ purchase was to small, so they refunded and canceled :rolleyes:

jdza

May 3, 2010
I have tried these motors for a turntable. As they all have external rotors I found them quite noisy with a constant whooshing sound. This is OK in the depths of a mastering machine but not really in a turntable.The bottom left motor was used by the manufacturer in one of my broadcast turntables. I have had 4 of these motors fail, all in the same way. They are really old so the varnish on the coil wirings cracks , causing the motors to burn out. Just my experience. You may get different (hopefully better) results.
Also note the failed motors were all the Papst model bottom left. The others are from various Studers and virtually indestructable-provided you don't attempt disassembling one!

These are from the failed experiments box, hence the dirt.

There are a number of oil suppliers on eBay. Google sintered bearing oil.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have tried these motors for a turntable. As they all have external rotors I found them quite noisy with a constant whooshing sound. This is OK in the depths of a mastering machine but not really in a turntable.The bottom left motor was used by the manufacturer in one of my broadcast turntables. I have had 4 of these motors fail, all in the same way. They are really old so the varnish on the coil wirings cracks , causing the motors to burn out. Just my experience. You may get different (hopefully better) results.

That sounds scary, i should have waited for Micro to finish his experiment ! The noise is not a problem, i sit far away from the TT.
What did you use for power control ? Thank you for the advice on the oil :)
Found and ordered !

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, and this is all your idea Fransisco ! I will contact you again once it lands. Looked at the diagram for the Studer A 80, you where right it’s running on 130 V. I had already purchased A 810 motor from Israel when i found this beast in Holland. Luckily the seller let me cancel the sale. Where did you get the special lubrication for the capstan bearing ?Please don’t say Nagravox in Australia ! I ordered but, the 70$ purchase was to small, so they refunded and canceled :rolleyes:

If it is a later ball bearing motor it does not need lubrication. Otherwise it can be the famous Isoflex PDP65 - cheap and easy to get in Europe. https://www.reelresilience.co.uk/product-page/isoflex-pdp65-lubrication-oil-10ml.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Also note the failed motors were all the Papst model bottom left. The others are from various Studers and virtually indestructable-provided you don't attempt disassembling one!

Sorry, fortunately I have to disagree on all you said. ;) If the capstan motor produces a whooshing noise it would result in miserable sound and poor measurements. Well cared Studer capstan motors (something that happens less frequently than people think) are completely silent - happily Fred Thal is not reading this thread ... :) BTW, poor mecanical adjustment of the tachometer assembly will result in the type of noise you refer, we need a scope to adjust it properly.

Surely the quality of the movement also depends a lot on the controller,

You describe motors that seem to have been taken from waste and two of them look like reel motors, not capstan. And the Studer capstan motors can be disassembled provided we know how to do it and no one with proper knowledge has tried to it before.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
@Lagonda very nice which TT is this?
It is a Maplenoll Ariadne Signature with extra SS platter added to the original lead platter for a total of 100lbs. Original it comes with the air bearing LT arm with silicone trough in front of the cartridge, i have added a SME 3012R on a MicroSeiki type attachment custom made by my local toolmaker. It is currently controlled and monitored by Phoenix Tach and power supply, what is going to happen in the future is still unknown. Maybe i will get help from Bill Carlin of Phoenix Engineering ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing