ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
magico-m6.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Of all the Magicos I love that design best. I like the music ? tune too from that brief video.
______

By the way ack, I spent some dedicated time before researching a similar subject, but I couldn't find anything of value to add up ... one of those threads that goes into oblivion till a resurrection from the next generation.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's a looker. I have a thing for large speakers that appear smaller than they actually are. To me it shows high levels of design talent.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
There is no M Pro......

M Project replacement, really??

Actually the Q5 replacement....

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
+1 on the looks, a really lovely bit of design, sensuous, nice sense of scale as well. Surprised by the tripod base though. Not sure that the tripod is ever going to be ultimately as stable a footing as an adjustable four point approach and in some ways if this had four feet with the width of the rear feet narrowing to play on exaggerating the forced perspective as the eye line travels back it could have looked even a touch more calmly anchored visually and probably even more visually balanced and sleeker as well again. Probably going to sound awesome anyway.

I always get the feeling that Alon Wolf is always thinking a couple of moves ahead. So I suppose the switch to M6 for a even order numbering allows for a potential step towards some next ultimate M8 in 2018. An M8 could look curvy but substantial and super sleek, svelte and solid looking with maybe four curvaceous towers, four feet on each tower... might wait for that one and the lottery instead. Ps joking... more than happily live with a pair of these or any of his current designs probably.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is no M Pro......

M Project replacement, really??

Actually the Q5 replacement....

M Pro is what we typically call the M Project. This one has 3x10" woofers like the M Pro.

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure I like the way it connects to the base. Seeing that daylight under it looks weird to me. But I bet it sure sounds good.

Reactions: V_W

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
+1 on the looks, a really lovely bit of design, sensuous, nice sense of scale as well. Surprised by the tripod base though. Not sure that the tripod is ever going to be ultimately as stable a footing as an adjustable four point approach and in some ways if this had four feet with the width of the rear feet narrowing to play on exaggerating the forced perspective as the eye line travels back it could have looked even a touch more calmly anchored visually and probably even more visually balanced and sleeker as well again. Probably going to sound awesome anyway.

I always get the feeling that Alon Wolf is always thinking a couple of moves ahead. So I suppose the switch to M6 for a even order numbering allows for a potential step towards some next ultimate M8 in 2018. An M8 could look curvy but substantial and super sleek, svelte and solid looking with maybe four curvaceous towers, four feet on each tower... might wait for that one and the lottery instead. Ps joking... more than happily live with a pair of these or any of his current designs probably.

IMO going with M6 model number was decision forced by the fact, that there already was the M5 back in 2008:

m5-3.jpg

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-196-magico-m5-loudspeaker

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMO going with M6 model number was decision forced by the fact, that there already was the M5 back in 2008:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-196-magico-m5-loudspeaker

They also had an M6 - still visible in the google cache of the current M6 Magico site :

m6

(introduced 2006 - discontinued 2010)

“Immediately on hearing the Magico M6, I knew it possessed some outstanding qualities.”

— Jeff Fritz, UltraAudio.com

Paul Stubblebine of the Tape Project / Bottlehead tube equipment owned a pair, quad-amplified with SE triodes and an active crossover. I considered it for some time.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There was also an M6 before. It was a massive cylindrical all-alluminum speaker sold around the time of the V line and Mini. I'll try to find a photo and attach it.

Actually I believe that M6 never made it to production, but yes, it existed and Goodwin's had a pair, and probably a prototype - there were a number of iteration of it, with different drivers (midrange and bass). When I listened to it, it sounded really hi-fi. There were probably a few pairs built back then.

Here are the Goodwin's guys trying to move into position (later revision)

Here's the first (?) revision

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I heard the price may be $172K for this new M6. That is a lot. There could be a new M5 in the future priced between this and the M3 which may go up to near $90K. If, that is, if, there is an M1 or M2 in the future, I can only image the cost for a two way or small, single woofer three way. The M line looks to be positioned at more than twice the cost of the S line. That used M Project on Audiogon is suddenly looking pretty good at around $70K.

This M6 looks like it lacks the complicated internal aluminum skeleton structure of the M3 and Q series. With the enclosed/sealed midrange driver, the interior looks much less complicated and easier to assemble. This idea could trickle down to a less costly future line, though the face plate and carbon sides looks extremely impressive and expensive. Fit and finish, in classic Magico fashion is exemplary.

I agree that that tripod base will take some getting used to. The floating appearance of such a heavy and/or large speaker is a real departure from the massive grounded aesthetic of their past designs.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks, Ack. Those are great photos. And the switch from a massive woofer to multiple same sized woofers foretells the future. I remember those in the front entry hall at Goodwins. I think you are right, the original Mini was the first real production model and the limited edition MPro was developed as a celebration of their tenth anniversary and a harbinger of future technology and ideas. It turns out to have been a real departure from the Q series.

I heard a Q3 the other night in a friend's system, and it sounded really good. It had great resolution, low distortion, and seamless coherence/driver integration, three hallmarks, IMO, of the brand. I do think the MPro takes those qualities to an even higher level, perhaps even surpassed in the M3, which I have not yet heard.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
They also had an M6 - still visible in the google cache of the current M6 Magico site :

m6

(introduced 2006 - discontinued 2010)

Yes, I remember that one. But that speaker was so limited in production, it was almost a vapor ware. I'm sure most ppl don't know it even existed.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey Adam, have you listened to your M3s yet? :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hey Adam, have you listened to your M3s yet? :)

Not yet, lol.

I had them first in my living room for 2 weeks (to burn them in while watching TV), but when I moved them to my listening room, they still felt very much like my brand new S5 mk 2 when I first fired them up. Probably the SPL and dynamic range was not enough to burn them in. I decided to burn them in with music, but then had no time to listen to music at all, so they just sat there for 3 weeks or so doing nothing.

It was only last week I had finally took out my old & trusty Marantz SR-50L receiver to accelerate the process playing music 24h. They have been playing radio for the past week (music during the day and ocean waves during the night) and my plan is to keep them playing for another week. I'm going to Munich on Thursday, so will probably switch to my amps on my return.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
More musings: Comparing the photo that Ack posted to Madfloyd's avatar, I kind of like the look of the MPro slightly more. I also wonder how one would confirm identical toe in with the M6. There are no flat surfaces against which to put a laser pointer. On the MPro, Madfloyd and I placed a straight edge along the two inside footers and used that as a straight surface for the laser device. We then reversed that for the other speaker. I suppose one could build a kind of templet for the M6. I find that precisely matching toe in, tilt, and distance to one spot at the listening seat, for each channel improves clarity, regardless of where one sits. I do love the curved sides and curved front baffle, ala, the Mini. I've often wondered how massive aluminum curved top and bottom plates, like on the S mk 2 line and M line, would improve the Mini II's sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not yet, lol.

I had them first in my living room for 2 weeks (to burn them in while watching TV), but when I moved them to my listening room, they still felt very much like my brand new S5 mk 2 when I first fired them up. Probably the SPL and dynamic range was not enough to burn them in. I decided to burn them in with music, but then had no time to listen to music at all, so they just sat there for 3 weeks or so doing nothing.

It was only last week I had finally took out my old & trusty Marantz SR-50L receiver to accelerate the process playing music 24h. They have been playing radio for the past week (music during the day and ocean waves during the night) and my plan is to keep them playing for another week. I'm going to Munich on Thursday, so will probably switch to my amps on my return.

I had great success in faster speaker break-in using the Purist Audio CD enhancer. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/purist-audio-system-enhancer-ultimate-cd

If your house (and neighbors :D) can resist to it, it will speed burn-in considerably. Soundlab panels sound horrible for the first few weeks, and as I always keep a spare pair - the factory is far away from me - I was able to compare a new pair against a reference before and after a week burn-in - a nigh and day difference, believe me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing