The new Magico M6, M Pro replacement

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not yet, lol.

I had them first in my living room for 2 weeks (to burn them in while watching TV), but when I moved them to my listening room, they still felt very much like my brand new S5 mk 2 when I first fired them up. Probably the SPL and dynamic range was not enough to burn them in. I decided to burn them in with music, but then had no time to listen to music at all, so they just sat there for 3 weeks or so doing nothing.

It was only last week I had finally took out my old & trusty Marantz SR-50L receiver to accelerate the process playing music 24h. They have been playing radio for the past week (music during the day and ocean waves during the night) and my plan is to keep them playing for another week. I'm going to Munich on Thursday, so will probably switch to my amps on my return.

So the only differences are cosmetic. :D

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
IMO going with M6 model number was decision forced by the fact, that there already was the M5 back in 2008:

View attachment 32436

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-196-magico-m5-loudspeaker
It's interesting how far the Magico style has moved over those 9 years. He is obviously completely unafraid to just throw the past out and move forward with the new vision.

But I am starting to wonder how much more substantially the current state of art is going to be able to actually go in the performance of speakers. Will be interesting to see, not sure we need any more resolution or detail realistically.

Either way I'm thinking that picking up a pair of pre loved M3s in 5 years or so might be a really great proposition.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, are you going to trade your old speakers for the new better looking design of the M6?

Nope. I prefer the look of the MPro so I won't be tempted.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ian, are you going to trade your old speakers for the new better looking design of the M6?

I agree with Ian, I think the MPro looks better and there is the matter of twice the price (used Mpro vs. new M6). Can the Magico SOTA speaker be that much better after only 2 or 3 years?

What other speakers are in this price point of $175K? Very few I would think.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I agree with Ian, I think the MPro looks better and there is the matter of twice the price (used Mpro vs. new M6). Can the Magico SOTA speaker be that much better after only 2 or 3 years?

Peter, Ian replied to my question with aplomb.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Wow, that is very nice, buy yes pricing is crazy. Who buys these things? Sorry, but the M Pro looks a bit crude now in comparison. Not sure I like the stand, but I will have to see it in person to determent that.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My guess is the stand looks awkward only because of the angle of the picture. It makes it look like it is connected in the center. Looking carefully it appears to be connected in 3 places. It should look solid from the listening position.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My guess is the stand looks awkward only because of the angle of the picture. It makes it look like it is connected in the center. Looking carefully it appears to be connected in 3 places. It should look solid from the listening position.

I agree Jack. I like that tripod base, it matches the speaker's shape; wider on front and narrower on rear. And chrome matches it too, the new M6

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
More musings: Comparing the photo that Ack posted to Madfloyd's avatar, I kind of like the look of the MPro slightly more. I also wonder how one would confirm identical toe in with the M6. There are no flat surfaces against which to put a laser pointer. On the MPro, Madfloyd and I placed a straight edge along the two inside footers and used that as a straight surface for the laser device. We then reversed that for the other speaker. I suppose one could build a kind of templet for the M6. I find that precisely matching toe in, tilt, and distance to one spot at the listening seat, for each channel improves clarity, regardless of where one sits. I do love the curved sides and curved front baffle, ala, the Mini. I've often wondered how massive aluminum curved top and bottom plates, like on the S mk 2 line and M line, would improve the Mini II's sound.

Same problem with the M3s. You need the angle tool:
2pcs-right-angle-30cm-12-inches-scale-l-square-ruler-woodworking-tool_6097933.jpeg

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012

Still looks top heavy, as if the stand may be too small. I am sure it will be alright, but there is a lot of energy from the back wave of the those woofers that want to go somewhere.

Wasn't it Mr. Wolf that stated we make speakers and not furniture? Referring to the fact his speakers do not have wood veneers. This speaker looks stylish, will fit in any modern decor and the tri base looks better on this product than the M3, which looks incomplete for some reason.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

..Magico's version of planned obsolescence

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
..any info on the dimensions?

Specifications

Driver complement: Tweeter: 1.10" Diamond-Coated Beryllium Dome (x1); Midrange: 6” XG Nanographene Cone (x1); Bass: 10.5” XG Nanographene Cone (x3)
Measurements: Sensitivity: 91dB Impedance: 4 ohms; Frequency Response: 22Hz – 50 kHz; Minimum Recommended power: 30 Watts
Dimensions: 57”H x 26”D x 20”/15”W (143 cm x 66 cm x 51/38cm)
Weight: 390lbs (177Kg)
Suggested US Retail Price: $ 172,000/pair
Ship date: 3rd Quarter 2017

30 pounds lighter than the Q5.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Specifications

Driver complement: Tweeter: 1.10" Diamond-Coated Beryllium Dome (x1); Midrange: 6” XG Nanographene Cone (x1); Bass: 10.5” XG Nanographene Cone (x3)
Measurements: Sensitivity: 91dB Impedance: 4 ohms; Frequency Response: 22Hz – 50 kHz; Minimum Recommended power: 30 Watts
Dimensions: 57”H x 26”D x 20”/15”W (143 cm x 66 cm x 51/38cm)
Weight: 390lbs (177Kg)
Suggested US Retail Price: $ 172,000/pair
Ship date: 3rd Quarter 2017

30 pounds lighter than the Q5.

$172,000- and they are still utilizing a Beryllium dome...ok.:rolleyes:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was casually searching around the world wide web ...

? http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-m6-floor-standing-three-way-five-driver-loudspeaker/

"A single 6? midrange cone driver is made from graphene-based material that is 30% lighter and 300% stiffer than its predecessors.
This 6" driver utilizes an underhung neodymium motor system that generates a magnetic field of 1.7 Tesla in a 15mm air gap, culminating in a pure vented titanium voice coil, which is the same field strength as some MRI machines!

The Magico M6 sits on a 3-point base, which is more stable than any 4-point base."

Magico M6 - Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 19.05.55.jpg
_____

The 'Old' Magico M6: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15657-Magico-M6
http://www.goodwinshighend.com/manufacturers/magico/model_6.htm ? Weight: 650 lbs (294 Kg)

In Canadian dollars the new M6/pair = $236,000 ($172,000 US)

EDIT: Did you notice; only one set of speaker binding posts.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Beryllium is a bad thing?

"Beryllium is a chemical element with symbol Be and atomic number 4. It is a relatively rare element in the universe, usually occurring as a product of the spallation of larger atomic nuclei that have collided with cosmic rays." Wikipedia

http://www.livescience.com/28641-beryllium.html

"Workers who handle the metal need to watch out, as airborne beryllium has been known to be highly toxic.
Beryllium is also classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and it can cause lung cancer in people who get exposed to beryllium on a daily basis because of their occupations that require them to mine or process the metal."

Listening to music from drivers made of Beryllium is sane. But tasting it is insane. :b ...Listen to the music, don't taste it, stay alive, live well and prosper.
______

* Extra:
Brand new fresh news about Beryllium (2 days ago): http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...dside-obamas-last-minute-rulemaking-will-cost

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing