The State of High End Audio

The problem with the bullies is, they feel their audio gear is weak, so they attack others. This is an audio forum, so if it's not about audio, then they are in the wrong forum anyways. If you're confident with your system, no need to bully others, as you should be smiling too much to think about it.

Should not you be working on your vinyl digital challenge?

Actually as a matter of perspective, extensively more so... He under charged for everything his whole life. The one time he did a fair charge he was going to retire on the payment. Then some inside action with the company doing the sale of the equipment and a state senator prevented him from being paid - absolute corruption.

If you own anything made from titanium it is because of his work with electron beams.

Wow, I thank him for my titanium electron...

How does fryer tuck fit into all this?

I'm confused. The above is Post No. 659, which is the title of the thread. The following 110 posts or so seem to have nothing to do with the original thread and everything to do with personal issues, insults and conflict amongst forum members.

Can someone please explain why this seems to happen (this is hardly the first time) and how this is consistent with the TOS and the overall goals and objectives of WBF?

Frankly, if I was a first time visitor and read the last 100+ posts, I'd likely have a not so positive opinion of this forum and question whether or not I would choose to participate.

And now, people are talking about "legal action". :confused::eek:
You succeeded in shaming me where others have failed :). Point is well taken. I wish I could explain the reasoning why I am discussing this but the sense of keeping confidentiality in this very area keeps me from doing so. Situations not yet disclosed called for this discussion to avert a much larger fiasco. By placing it here where the ignition happened (Peter's post), I am trying to minimize its exposure to larger membership and visitors alike.

So guilty as charged. Thanks for the post.

I know what your saying but in fact it's a plus in my view people get the chance to work things through in this way. If this had been shut down the glowing embers of discontent would keep burning us forever.

Understood sir. But from my "outside" perspective, this type of dialogue is, unfortunately, more frequent than not.

And this seems to be not a "burning ember" but a full blown fire that is well beyond constructive, respectful discourse, which I believe is consistent with the spirit and intent of the TOS..

Understood sir. But from my "outside" perspective, this type of dialogue is, unfortunately, more frequent than not.

And this seems to be not a "burning ember" but a full blown fire that is well beyond constructive, respectful discourse, which I believe is consistent with the spirit and intent of the TOS..

I don't disagree, amir seems just to be batting off other people's criticism at the moment. Nice of him to dignify their posts with a response... I would of stopped ages ago,

Just reads as a load of horsing around to me ..

I have been a manager in everything from small to very larger corporations and companies. I managed an entire division at Microsoft of about 1,000 people (yes, I am bragging; shoot me :D ), that included 40+ people in marketing, nearly as many in business development, infrastructure support, etc. In other words, its own company within the larger company. The skills required to keep such a large group of people with sharply different skills and responsibilities goes way beyond the pigeonholing you are doing by calling me an engineer. My #1 job by far was people management as is the job of any senior manager.

Is your "job" any different here?

I managed a drug and alcohol rehab for young offenders. We were encouraged to undergo continuous training, and more importantly, were required to submit ourselves to supervision with an external mental health professional. Part of the supervision process was done in a group setting with the other programme managers, in which we were submitted to peer review and critique. None of that ever occurred in the presence of the clients.

Given the deviation this thread has experienced - PMs disclosed, trust breached, hurt feelings expressed, grievances aired publicly and justifications given - perhaps now could be a good time for the management team to take this offline, and engage in a process of reflection without attempting to gain support from the large group of people with sharply diverging personal communication skills collectively known as the WBF membership.

It's just a thought, from someone who appreciates the ability to participate here, and values their membership.

Did you read the impressions of the Merging NADAC/HQplayer vs Kronos/black beauty/pass XS phono yet at Madfloyd's place?

post# 74.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...s-my-true-love-gave-to-me&p=373821#post373821

After reading this, it may not even be worth it to do the challenge.
Well I enjoy musical digital so I did not need any affirmation but I like the sound of the way HQplayers could change the presentation. In the end of the day it's in the game Mike, that's all that matters. Digital is a part of the musical conversation and not to be dismissed.... Cheap too if you think about it, compared to TT set up.

I SMELL VICTORY.... Oh no it's just burning vinyl, my bad :D

Is your "job" any different here?
Not at all. Indeed people management experience must be a requirement to manage a forum. When I said this just a week or so ago, I was rediculed.

It's just a thought, from someone who appreciates the ability to participate here, and values their membership.
Again, point well taken and much appreciated :).

Well I enjoy musical digital so I did not need any affirmation but I like the sound of the way HQplayers could change the presentation. In the end of the day it's in the game Mike, that's all that matters. Digital is a part of the musical conversation and not to be dismissed.... Cheap too if you think about it, compared to TT set up.

I SMELL VICTORY.... Oh no it's just burning vinyl, my bad :D

Yep I think it's official, digital wins!! :)

Yep I think it's official, digital wins!! :)

People having access to a great source for a manageable outlay are the winners here.

The state of hi end is looking less relevant by the second in more ways than one.

People having access to a great source for a manageable outlay are the winners here.

The state of hi end is looking less relevant by the second in more ways than one.

HQP has been used for two years now...if you want to have a user friendly version you need the one with Roon...this won't beat a TT. You don't need to buy a Techdas, that is like saying a dac seeker needs to buy the 100k MSB. A modded Lenco, used Goldmund Studio, or a Thorens belt drive should be all sufficient. Things will get better with more expensive TTs as they will get so with more expensive dacs.

HQP has been used for two years now...if you want to have a user friendly version you need the one with Roon...this won't beat a TT. You don't need to buy a Techdas, that is like saying a dac seeker needs to buy the 100k MSB. A modded Lenco, used Goldmund Studio, or a Thorens belt drive should be all sufficient. Things will get better with more expensive TTs as they will get so with more expensive dacs.
I know, I know, I am not so sure. I know, that's obvious. :)

So are you saying Madfloyd's TT rig is subpar? Why wouldn't you use HQplayer with Roon? I thought this was a no-brainer.

So are you saying Madfloyd's TT rig is subpar? Why wouldn't you use HQplayer with Roon? I thought this was a no-brainer.

Did I even say anything about Ian's rig? Nice way of misinterpreting me.

I have been using HQP for years. Will download the Roon version at some point but the GUI is not bothering me. I can take the pain

Did I even say anything about Ian's rig? Nice way of misinterpreting me.

I have been using HQP for years. Will download the Roon version at some point but the GUI is not bothering me. I can take the pain
What do you do with your content? Upsample to high pcm or dsd?

What do you do with your content? Upsample to high pcm or dsd?

I am not a fan of upsampling, but I have not finished my CAPS 4 style build though I have all the parts. Maybe that will upsample better. Also upsampling vs not has not yet caught my geeky attention, so not bothered. Unfortunately finding the Lampi was the best digital cut off the fun in digital so now am pursuing TT. Hopefully the search is longer and more confusing, I need that to keep me interested. Same with Shun Mooks, thanks to them I am bored with tweaks now.

I am not a fan of upsampling, but I have not finished my CAPS 4 style build though I have all the parts. Maybe that will upsample better. Also upsampling vs not has not yet caught my geeky attention, so not bothered. Unfortunately finding the Lampi was the best digital cut off the fun in digital so now am pursuing TT. Hopefully the search is longer and more confusing, I need that to keep me interested. Same with Shun Mooks, thanks to them I am bored with tweaks now.
Thanks for that bozo, re upsample I have never liked it. Found it thins tonal density and just sounds wrong. Can be hifi but not musical imo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing