This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're flattening the curve too, Steve. The problem w UK is that at 9k total infections, and 1k new infections/day, and 10-14 days to flatten a curve, we could double or nearly treble our current total before we catch sight of the downslope.
It was good to read that Boris is out of the ICU and doing better.

Reactions: tima and PeterA
Yes, the virus is a major problem, and yes there are several arguments about best way to deal with it. I spent a lot of time yesterday listening to John Prine songs, one of the gifted songwriters who had real insight into the human condition. Hearing those songs finally allowed some emotion to break through, and for that I thankful as a lot has been simmering beneath the surface.

Wrt closing the economy, it is easy to argue the benefit if your livelihood is unaffected, as is easy to argue the other side if you or family suffers a death as result of the virus. First half of my life I didn’t have two nickels to rub together, and I’ve known some despair. If you were someone who was out if the workforce a long time and just finally got back to work in the booming economy, maybe you had the first glimmer of hope you’ve had in a very long time. Now the rug gets pulled out from under you and maybe you feel like “shit, not again. Just when things started to be better.”

Not every one in the 17,000,000 newly unemployed will be in this situation, but a hell of a lot of folks who were trying to make it to the end of the month before running out of money don’t know where the $$ is today to feed their kids and make rent.

So to those who adamantly persist in thinking closing the world down is the ONLY solution, I say try wearing the shoes of the newly unemployed facing despair. It is a terrible feeling that often leads to many, many bad choices.

John Prine wrote a song very early in his life about a vet retuning from conflict (Sam Stone) “...there’s a hole in Daddy’s arm where all the money goes...” It breaks my heart to think of those feeling despair in this crisis, some of whom would trade a bout of Wuhan flu to feed their family.

So to those who adamantly persist in thinking closing the world down is the ONLY solution, I say try wearing the shoes of the newly unemployed facing despair. It is a terrible feeling that often leads to many, many bad choices.

I totally agree except the alternative IMHO is no better at this point

I think there's really good news and treatment that is imminent. Over the past 60 days we now have a much clearer understanding of why patients are dying from lung failure (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). Cytokine storm is an abnormal immune response that is best summarized in the cartoon below. But better yet is that we are seeing remarkable improvements with a class of drugs called IL-6 inhibitors in some patients. Regeneron will be sharing the results on their drug Kevzara in 400 patients in about a week and my guess is that Roche is not far behind reporting on their drug Actemra. There is great optimism that the death rates will fall precipitously if these drugs are successful (which they have been shown to be in cases of cytokine storm such as occurs following CAR-T cell therapy for acute lymphocytic leukemia in kids). From today's WSJ:

View attachment 63836
There is accumulating data suggesting that unlike previous beta-corona virus illnesses (SARS, MERS), pulmonary disease from COVID19 may be significantly different from classical ARDS. It appears that several monoclonal antibody inhibitors of IL-6 will be tested in severely ill patients, hopefully with some success, but other measures may be more helpful

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928507

Reactions: marty
I totally agree except the alternative IMHO is no better at this point
It's hard to avoid being political, but I think this is non-partisan politics. It will be a challenge to lead the US and the world into a future where both COVID19 and similar potential pandemics can be contained or controlled, and economic growth and something approaching normal social activities can be restored. Social gatherings are a huge and important part of human history.

Sometime affluence hurts. Our ability travel works against us.
Intuitively it seems the curve may be flatter in rural underdeveloped countries. Not all Africans are on the verge of starvation. Some of them are quite modern

I think there's really good news and treatment that is imminent. Over the past 60 days we now have a much clearer understanding of why patients are dying from lung failure (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome). Cytokine storm is an abnormal immune response that is best summarized in the cartoon below. But better yet is that we are seeing remarkable improvements with a class of drugs called IL-6 inhibitors in some patients. Regeneron will be sharing the results on their drug Kevzara in 400 patients in about a week and my guess is that Roche is not far behind reporting on their drug Actemra. There is great optimism that the death rates will fall precipitously if these drugs are successful (which they have been shown to be in cases of cytokine storm such as occurs following CAR-T cell therapy for acute lymphocytic leukemia in kids). From today's WSJ:

View attachment 63836
I have a friend that is now 15 days at ICU. The doctors started to treat him with chloroquine and azithromycin. But he was getting worse, had to be intubated. Than the doctors started to give him Actemra. He is better now, still on dialysis, will be without intubation tomorrow, and finally no sedation.

Reactions: Folsom
I have a friend that is now 15 days at ICU. The doctors started to treat him with chloroquine and azithromycin. But he was getting worse, had to be intubated. Than the doctors started to give him Actemra. He is better now, still on dialysis, will be without intubation tomorrow, and finally no sedation.

Great news. The tide is turning.....

Reactions: Folsom and ack
in this video you can see our unbelievable president Bolsonaro TODAY.
cleanning his nose and shaking hands os people, the first was an elder woman.

as some of you know, our own Mik (member 108CY) has been in that same ICU in St. Thomas Hospital since late February with COVID-19. it's been a real struggle for Mik but he is continuing the fight.

i don't really have details about exactly his situation, but that for many weeks he has been in an induced coma, and that possibly the virus is behind him but he is now dealing with recovering from the effects. he is still in critical condition.

his father passed away from COVID-19 and his girlfriend had it and recovered.

I did not, but in any way what so ever that we can wish him our best, I certainly do & will.

View attachment 63836

Nice. IL-6 inhibitors seems like a safe-ish solution. I've been looking up ways to influence ACE/ACE-2 ratios. Even if you can keep inflammation down at the lunges, a lot of people are passing from the complications of decreased ACE-2 (miocardio, elevated troponin etc).

If people want to know what you can do at home to help, I suspect JK Rawlings doctor having her doing breathing exercises was to stimulate ACE-2 production as much as one can, while the virus is doing the opposite. And EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) seems to inhibit ACE a bit, so maybe work some into your diet on a salad or such.

Last edited:
Today's UK reported deaths rose to 980 higher than any daily total in Spain and Italy, so not out of the wood yet.
That brings the total of Covid 19 deaths in hospital to 8,958 out of a poulation of 65m with 19,304 hospital patients diagnosed with Covid 19.
Tomorrow likely to be a testing day for our lockdown with a forecat temperature 25 centigrade in the south of England

Not sure if this will work but we've been playing around a bit. Tried converting an ambubag into a ventilator option. Bearings taken from a skateboard, motor from a power drill. Still early days and it is very rough but our thoughts were to try to make this as small and as cheap as we can get it. I'd attach a small video but don't know how.

Reactions: Folsom
Not sure if this will work but we've been playing around a bit. Tried converting an ambubag into a ventilator option. Bearings taken from a skateboard, motor from a power drill. Still early days and it is very rough but our thoughts were to try to make this as small and as cheap as we can get it. I'd attach a small video but don't know how.

Definitely search online. Someone else might find it, some people figured out how to make them fairly cheaply from other things.

Reactions: Surfski
Flattening the curve? Level off or peak is a better description. Baby steps. Next step is a steady decline to no new cases. That will be slow.

Oh , yup, I know its been done. We're trying to make it as simple as possible; with as little electrical work as necessary . We can get respiratory rate and extrinsic PEEP sorted . Most modern ventilators have ( or should do) the capacity to alter ratio between inspiration and expiration. We're trying to nut that out. We don't see this experiment as a front line option at all but if the ....really hits the fan, it may be of some use somewhere. If all else fails, its been interesting playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu