This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound really upset because you didn’t get the carnage you were hoping for.

Well that's a lousy comment. How low can you go?

Reports here in the UK on the Covid 19 positon are concentrating on the huge problems in New York city with the occasional report to the effect that Detroit and New Orleans are being badly affected, but no real overview of how it is affecting other parts of the USA.
Could somebody find the time to give the members in other countries an overall picture of what is happening elsewhere in the USA?

I am seeing the news information reported in Europe about the USA reflected back to me from Tinka's parents in the Netherlands. In general it seems to be the usual mischaracterizations and exaggerations, with Europeans either assuming or being told that what is happening in New York City is emblematic of a virus conflagration across the entire lower 48 states, with mountains of bodies piling up almost everywhere.

But know that I have not seen European news reports myself. I am simply basing this on the worried inquiries we are getting from Europeans suggesting that the U.S. presently is suffering mass pandemic deaths nationwide.

At the very least people seem to think that what is happening in New York City is happening across the United States.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk
I am seeing the news information reported in Europe about the USA reflected back to me from Tinka's parents in the Netherlands. In general it seems to be the usual mischaracterizations and exaggerations, with Europeans either assuming or being told that what is happening in New York City is emblematic of a virus conflagration across the entire lower 48 states, with mountains of bodies piling up almost everywhere.
What mischaracterizations ! The US
has the highest level of infection, highest level of deaths, unbelievable increase in unemployment and poverty all inside a couple of weeks.
It might not be happening in your neighborhood but it’s happening all over your country.

Reactions: ack
You can believe what you want about the future but the Bell Curve stands today and it hasn't changed in places like Korea, Singapore and even China, countries where they have opened up somewhat.

Which of these countries show a "bell curve" for the number of new cases? I suggest you take another look at the data. Germany and South Korea come close, but they are being very aggressive (far more so than the US) about widespread testing and subsequent isolation and quarantine for potential new outbreaks, something impossible to do at this time in the US. Singapore's new case numbers are shooting up like a rocket. China's data is suspect, but even there there is no "bell curve"

Which of these countries show a "bell curve" for the number of new cases? I suggest you take another look at the data. Germany and South Korea come close, but they are being very aggressive (far more so than the US) about widespread testing and subsequent isolation and quarantine for potential new outbreaks, something impossible to do at this time in the US. Singapore's new case numbers are shooting up like a rocket. China's data is suspect, but even there there is no "bell curve"
We can agree on China, who really knows. Singapore has had very little casualties and here's today's data, they peaked in mid March and it's plateaued since, here's the data.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/singapore/

We can agree on China, who really knows. Singapore has had very little casualties and here's today's data, they peaked in mid March and it's plateaued since, here's the data.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/singapore/
This looks to me like an exponential rise in the number of new cases; where is the "plateau", much less the Bell curve?

Here is Germany's, perhaps starting to plateau, still with the economy "shut down" and with testing (per population) orders of magnitude more than what is happening in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany

South Korea does show a plateau (no Bell curve, though). South Korea has a pandemic response team and had just performed a countrywide drill in Dec 2019. They had widespread testing quickly available and a well-funded health care system specifically focused on pandemic response; if we had done that, much of today's economic disaster could probably have been averted.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

You don't know history and you don't know epidemiology, and those facts become more glaringly apparent with each new post.

Reactions: ack and Al M.
Reactions: NorthStar
This looks to me like an exponential rise in the number of new cases; where is the "plateau", much less the Bell curve?

According to this chart death rate halved after the peak around March 20th and remains that way two and a half weeks later, which graph are you looking at? Plateau doesn't mean zero deaths.

Here is Germany's, perhaps starting to plateau, still with the economy "shut down" and with testing (per population) orders of magnitude more than what is happening in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany

South Korea does show a plateau (no Bell curve, though). South Korea has a pandemic response team and had just performed a countrywide drill in Dec 2019. They had widespread testing quickly available and a well-funded health care system specifically focused on pandemic response; if we had done that, much of today's economic disaster could probably have been averted.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

You don't know history and you don't know epidemiology, and those facts become more glaringly apparent with each new post.

Did I claim to be an epidemiologist? You're clueless about my life, where I lived and my knowledge of history or lack of. People make things personal when they get stuck or backed up against the wall. Why do you insist on making things personal. I can come back right back at you and say that you're clueless about running a business and what's involved and the more I read I know that you have zero understanding of how the economy works and it's historical impact on people and a country when it collapses. CHECK YOUR TONE!

david

Reactions: Bobvin and hogen
Yes, I saw that. What accounts for that? What accounts for the relatively low number of cases and deaths in Japan? What did they do differently from other countries in the region, and when?

Japan? Habits. People with sniffles routinely wear masks. They bow not shake hands. They don't wear their street shoes all over the house. Basically they are just mindful of themselves and their family members and considerate to others. That is what should come out of this quarantine. Not stupid bickering. Disease is a force of nature. You don't beat it, you try your best to survive it.

Japan? Habits. People with sniffles routinely wear masks. They bow not shake hands. They don't wear their street shoes all over the house. Basically they are just mindful of themselves and their family members and considerate to others. That is what should come out of this quarantine. Not stupid bickering. Disease is a force of nature. You don't beat it, you try your best to survive it.

Hi Jack - hope you are well. So its kinda Japanese culture is protecting itself. Interesting contrast with other countries having areas of high population density.

Yes Tim exactly. What I wish I knew is how this all came about. For all we know they might have had an epidemic of some sort a few hundred years ago. This Corona thing just might be the catalyst for the rest of the world to adopt the same habits. I know for sure I will, not just when I am there.

When I will ever get to go back, I don't know. They cancelled visas issued to a number of countries, ours included.

They also won't blow their nose in public or near another living sole... that doesn't create the best scenarios for sneezing etc.

I read another report where Japan had an increase in deaths due to other cases, and since they are not testing, the report suggested that the CV deaths are being covered under the other deaths

Reactions: Folsom
1586582304233.jpg

What mischaracterizations ! The US
has the highest level of infection, highest level of deaths, unbelievable increase in unemployment and poverty all inside a couple of weeks.
It might not be happening in your neighborhood but it’s happening all over your country.

The USA is a populous country, so of course we have a high absolute number of infections and deaths. The fatality rate per million people is lower in the USA than in several Western European countries, including in the Netherlands. This is definitely not the impression European news sources indicate.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to know in the US and the UK, how many of those admitted into ICU have been turned away and sent home before, to manage to the number of beds, only for them to come back later in a more serious condition

It will be interesting to know in the US and the UK, how many of those admitted into ICU have been turned away and sent home before, to manage to the number of beds, only for them to come back later in a more serious condition

I don't know how many needed more care, but loads of people in WA on the West coast were turned away from getting care anywhere but the hospital emergency room. 0 were tested.

Reactions: Lagonda
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu