Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kedar has suggested i use a room in my house for horns. i told him to go ahead and ask my wife about it. i'm scared to. :eek:
I volunteer to handle that negotiation. The underlying strategy will be to explain to Pam how great it would be for her to have you in the house more often.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I volunteer to handle that negotiation. The underlying strategy will be to explain to Pam how great it would be for her to have you in the house more often.
Brave!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
be my guest. not sure you are on the right track though. :rolleyes:

make sure she knows it's not my idea. i will deny any knowledge.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So on the records with less HF, the sound not going to be bright in the korean dealer's room..

This is only a Vandersteen 3a but has 4 subs. The subs seem very well integrated. I think this makes a case to have smaller cone with 4 subs rather than 2 big speakers. The stage in the room does not seem to fight with the room, it rises and falls and spreads easily. The amp is a custom SS amp and seems to have good control and drive.

The bass power is also clear here

Did not like the tone on both. But I think the Korean dealer has not optimized his set up at all, and his digital file might be flat.

TAS Andre‘s system

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
This is only a Vandersteen 3a but has 4 subs. The subs seem very well integrated. I think this makes a case to have smaller cone with 4 subs rather than 2 big speakers. The stage in the room does not seem to fight with the room, it rises and falls and spreads easily. The amp is a custom SS amp and seems to have good control and drive.
The bass power is also clear here
Todd Welti a Research Acoustician With Harman International Industries covers much of this ground in his paper on the subject.

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
Did not like the tone on both. But I think the Korean dealer has not optimized his set up at all, and his digital file might be flat.
Those videos are the initial demo of the Korean Purist Audio dealer, which were posted by the dealer after the first unveiling of the trio g3 in Korea in early 2022, after that the trios were taken to a bigger and better treated room, which you can see in the link below, and the latest videos of Trio G3 being demoed with Vitus Electronics.

But for a relatively optimal set up of the trios that seems to show better performance, i'd refer to this demo of trio luxury edition, which is related to another Korean dealer..

But of course, trios with low power SETs like Viva 845 or Thomas Mayer will show much better musical performance than with these 1500 watts! Emm Labs monos used in this demo, But if the solid state amp is a priority for trios the best choice is 15w japanese Bakoon(7511 mk4) which is current drive amp like iTron but at a much lower price, one of my friends who enjoyed having Trio G2 with Kondo Neiro for years, told me that he had compared japanese Bakoon to Kondo Neiro on his trios and he thought bakoon sounded much better than Neiro in all areas by a margin.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Those videos are the initial demo of the Korean Purist Audio dealer, which were posted by the dealer after the first unveiling of the trio g3 in Korea in early 2022, after that the trios were taken to a bigger and better treated room, which you can see in the link below, and the latest videos of Trio G3 being demoed with Vitus Electronics.

But for a relatively optimal set up of the trios that seems to show better performance, i'd refer to this demo of trio luxury edition, which is related to another Korean dealer..

But of course, trios with low power SETs like Viva 845 or Thomas Mayer will show much better musical performance than with these 1500 watts! Emm Labs monos used in this demo, But if the solid state amp is a priority for trios the best choice is 15w japanese Bakoon(7511 mk4) which is current drive amp like iTron but at a much lower price, one of my friends who enjoyed having Trio G2 with Kondo Neiro for years, told me that he had compared japanese Bakoon to Kondo Neiro on his trios and he thought bakoon sounded much better than Neiro in all areas by a margin.
I have been in that room! This where I heard the AG Trios with Emm Ref monos. I also do not quite understand why they went with the Emms on these. Intuitively, I would have preferred to hear them with different amps, but I admit I have no experience with any of the equipment here nor this room.

Overall, very impressive ability to fill that room which has a pretty high ceiling and actually is much wider to the left and slightly wider to the right than in this video. Plus it also goes slightly further backward behind the camera as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Thanks - B's 5th I find difficult to hear the third movement on its own without the background of the second and the transition into the fourth.

Here I have the Reiner version, which is an average recording, noting fancy, being played on an unmodded Garrard 301 with a SPU. When I recoded the passage I could not get myself to cut it into shorter parts, I separated into two videos only to make the upload easier and because we had to change the LP side.

This is the same movement as the trios that follows from the above movement - at minute 2 starts the double bass section, and the quality of this seems much superior on that piece. And look ma, no subs.

Last edited:

Ligriv

Nov 29, 2022
Finland
Yes I totally support Kedar's statements.
I had the opportunity two months ago to go to Varna-Bulgaria to our friend Yanislav to listen his extraordinary dual FLH(Front Loaded Horn) Altec 817 speakers.
It was all a beautiful dream.
Listened last year here in Helsinki Trio G3(long listening session), total disappointment.
Instead, the Altec 817 speakers listened two months ago, built by Yanislav and his wonderful collaborator Misho, played like I had never heard before, a real bliss.
My future speakers will be Altec 817, without looking back, but I will have to dedicate a suitable listening room to them.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ok. For you video people. All i ask is that you listen with headphones. It does not sound right played back from a phone or tablet. Although the bass sounds a little weird even through headphones.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations! And what a stunning room in which to listen to one great system!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Ok. For you video people. All i ask is that you listen with headphones. It does not sound right played back from a phone or tablet. Although the bass sounds a little weird even through headphones.

There r many lovely aspects to the sound, I am unfamiliar with this recording but the bass seems laggy, and the violin seems concentrated on the strings with no body, possibly related to where the microphone is compared with speaker , but sound is coherent and has that feel of a big orchestra ; woodwind is recessed but probably the recording I presume ?

I compared with another version of this recording n that string sound was similar and bass little less boomy and laggy but not objectionable the woodwind more forward in other recording and less recessed imho

be interested in some more vids, plz be careful with microphone placement :)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
There r many lovely aspects to the sound, I am unfamiliar with this recording but the bass seems laggy, and the violin seems concentrated on the strings with no body, possibly related to where the microphone is compared with speaker , but sound is coherent and has that feel of a big orchestra ; woodwind is recessed but probably the recording I presume ?

I compared with another version of this recording n that string sound was similar and bass little less boomy and laggy but not objectionable the woodwind more forward in other recording and less recessed imho

be interested in some more vids, plz be careful with microphone placement :)
Saint-Saens Danse has not really come out well in sonic terms unfortunately within the available recorded digital formats as either all digital or digitally remastered analogue versions that I’ve found… the all analogue originals seem to definitely be the go sonically.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it's a good video with a feeling of bass, weight, immediacy, and coherence. It does not have the best tone but that is digital vs analog, and I do find that with SS and digital tone gets more penalized on video as compared to real...i.e. where in room I can suspend disbelief on the CH Stenheim system that I like, if I heard it only on videos, I would not be able to without making that discounting mentally. So here I am applying that mental discounting on the tone edges.

Separately, I would really like to listen to a well tuned trio system with valves and analog. For whatever reason, most trio owners turn out to be digital SS. Ultimate Audio has kondo but still to install analog

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
Listened last year here in Helsinki Trio G3(long listening session), total disappointment.
I saw those two videos of Trios from the Helsinki show on your YouTube channel and the sound was unbelievably thin and bright! And both are apparently on digital/roon playback, Did you also hear Trios through the analog source there? (Bergmann’s Galder/Soundsmith Paua)

Ligriv

Nov 29, 2022
Finland
I saw those two videos of Trios from the Helsinki show on your YouTube channel and the sound was unbelievably thin and bright! And both are apparently on digital/roon playback, Did you also hear Trios through the analog source there? (Bergmann’s Galder/Soundsmith Paua)
Yes, I had a listening session of over two hours (I really wanted to hear all the aspects of these speakers, they are very beautiful by the way), they used both sources, digital and analog.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I think it's a good video with a feeling of bass, weight, immediacy, and coherence. It does not have the best tone but that is digital vs analog, and I do find that with SS and digital tone gets more penalized on video as compared to real...i.e. where in room I can suspend disbelief on the CH Stenheim system that I like, if I heard it only on videos, I would not be able to without making that discounting mentally. So here I am applying that mental discounting on the tone edges.

Separately, I would really like to listen to a well tuned trio system with valves and analog. For whatever reason, most trio owners turn out to be digital SS. Ultimate Audio has kondo but still to install analog
My friend in Parma has the new trio with Grand Prix Audio,tonearm Da Vinci and Grand cru, G 1000,GE 10,and Kagura.
I listen some videos but don't like the speaker and I love this Kondo

Reactions: bonzo75

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The new power cords are still breaking in. The dealer moved them a long way down the path for me. But still have a way to go.

Here is a video of the first part of Midnight Sugar. I thought this would be good since it was posted above.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Kedar has suggested i use a room in my house for horns. i told him to go ahead and ask my wife about it. i'm scared to. :eek:

I'd just throw them on the other side of the room so you can escape and enjoy whichever system you are in the mood to hear. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing