Totaldac new DACs

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That is a very thick rug. Serves as first reflection absorption. I should get one like this.
Alon is very specific regarding the mentioned rug. He suggested that we do the same, which we did, in our Rhapsody Dallas M9 listening room. It works.

Reactions: VPN

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi, yes I will PM you with the information when I get it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers.
more photos here: https://www.monoandstereo.com/magico-factory-tour-2/

View attachment 124659

View attachment 124660

View attachment 124661

View attachment 124662

View attachment 124663

View attachment 124664

View attachment 124665

Wonderful achievement! I see CAT Statement Amps in the picture also. Between your DAC and CAT amps, one will be hard to find a more natural and organic Magico system on the planet.

Congratulations!!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wonderful achievement! I see CAT Statement Amps in the picture also. Between your DAC and CAT amps, one will be hard to find a more natural and organic Magico system on the planet.

Congratulations!!!
Sorry, but TD has NOT been selected as "the digital" for the M9 room long term. Yes, the TD gear was at Magico and still may be but that the pics on mono/stereo were from a year ago. There has been several other digital set ups in the M9 room since. Currently there is full DCS stack in the M9 room. Alon has sources routinely rotated in the M9 room.

Reactions: GuyB

caesar

May 30, 2010
Sorry, but TD has NOT been selected as "the digital" for the M9 room long term. Yes, the TD gear was at Magico and still may be but that the pics on mono/stereo were from a year ago. There has been several other digital set ups in the M9 room since. Currently there is full DCS stack in the M9 room. Alon has sources routinely rotated in the M9 room.
Honestly, I don't care what has been "selected" or not. Just commenting on the picture and the organic sound the combination of gear - TotalDAC and CAT - in the picture is able to create.

Reactions: skids929

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Honestly, I don't care what has been "selected" or not. Just commenting on the picture and the organic sound the combination of gear - TotalDAC and CAT - in the picture is able to create.

My point is that it was misleading for Vincent to state -
"Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers."

The S3 and M7 were not even products when this pic from mono/stero was taken a year ago. Magico did NOT select TD to use as there digital front end. They tested it, used it for a while and then had several other digital front ends (Playback Designs, Pilium, WADAX and DCS) since the TD digital was in place.

I'm glad that you liked the TD/CAT combo. Both great sounding products. Where did you hear it, that made you like it?

Reactions: GuyB

caesar

May 30, 2010
My point is that it was misleading for Vincent to state -
"Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers."

The S3 and M7 were not even products when this pic from mono/stero was taken a year ago. Magico did NOT select TD to use as there digital front end. They tested it, used it for a while and then had several other digital front ends (Playback Designs, Pilium, WADAX and DCS) since the TD digital was in place.

I'm glad that you liked the TD/CAT combo. Both great sounding products. Where did you hear it, that made you like it?

I understand that the politics of what was selected may be important to you. But I'm really not into that. Nor do I share the taste of most Magico guys, who are likely going with soulution or ch preceision, god bless their souls and their imaginations. And I wish you luck also overcoming those powerful bandwagon effects.

Yet guys looking for some the most natural and organic presentation magico speakers can deliver would be wise to check out the CAT and TotalDAC. I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I understand that the politics of what was selected may be important to you. But I'm really not into that. Nor do I share the taste of most Magico guys, who are likely going with soulution or ch preceision, god bless their souls and their imaginations. And I wish you luck also overcoming those powerful bandwagon effects.

Yet guys looking for some the most natural and organic presentation magico speakers can deliver would be wise to check out the CAT and TotalDAC. I will leave it at that.
Btw, I just installed the first pair of Magico M7s in the US. It was with Pilium, not CH P or Soulution. Magico has used Pilium at Munich last year as well as this coming Munich show in May.

I personally like the sound of VAC and my Kondo Kaguras on my S3 Magico speakers and looking forward to both tube amps on the incoming M7s along with my Pilium Olympu/Zeus combination.

CAT sounded VG with the S3s and Antipodes server and WADAX DAC at last year's Axpona.

It all sounds good, just personal opinions and personal taste. Totally subjective.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Btw, I just installed the first pair of Magico M7s in the US. It was with Pilium, not CH P or Soulution. Magico has used Pilium at Munich last year as well as this coming Munich show in May.

I personally like the sound of VAC and my Kondo Kaguras on my S3 Magico speakers and looking forward to both tube amps on the incoming M7s along with my Pilium Olympu/Zeus combination.

CAT sounded VG with the S3s and Antipodes server and WADAX DAC at last year's Axpona.

It all sounds good, just personal opinions and personal taste. Totally subjective.

Congrats on the install!

And Of course it’s subjective! But subjective preference is influenced by a combination of social factors such as appeal to authority influence technique (Wolf's selection of gear in his plant showroom that we are discussing, valin from The Analytical Sound, magico dealers pretending to be experts, etc. ), what other Magico owners have selected that’s shared via forums , what the amplifier fad of the year is , etc.

the reality is that many guys are not confident in themselves. In fear of a big loss in making the wrong choice … they need that reassurance from an authority....

And there are Way Too many options in marketplace. Although so many products exist, people don’t have the energy, patience, time, knowledge, and skill to winnow down their choices . Because of all the confusion and choices, the established brands win…

In the end, although it may be subjective at the individual level, a bunch of alter kakers and disgusting “audio journalists” have contributed the most to determine which tastes and preferences are popular… *check out books Cialdini, Kahneman, and Thaler for more on these ideas

Nothing personal , and i think you’re mensch in the way you come across in many threads , compared to so many dumb mother fukkers who think just because they bought some expensive piece of gear and they like it, they think it will emotionally move everyone else. But If you have a beef, your beef is with the Wolfster. Yet the wolfster wouldn’t have acquired TotalDac and CAT if he didn’t think it would appeal to a segment of the market he thinks is important, no matter how small that natural and organic market segment is....

Good luck with your pillium. I hope you install many more , but maybe you can let this go.

Congratulations to TotalDAC on a great achievement!!!!

Reactions: keithc

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Congrats on the install!

And Of course it’s subjective! But subjective preference is influenced by a combination of social factors such as appeal to authority influence technique (Wolf's selection of gear in his plant showroom that we are discussing, valin from The Analytical Sound, magico dealers pretending to be experts, etc. ), what other Magico owners have selected that’s shared via forums , what the amplifier fad of the year is , etc.

the reality is that many guys are not confident in themselves. In fear of a big loss in making the wrong choice … they need that reassurance from an authority....

And there are Way Too many options in marketplace. Although so many products exist, people don’t have the energy, patience, time, knowledge, and skill to winnow down their choices . Because of all the confusion and choices, the established brands win…

In the end, although it may be subjective at the individual level, a bunch of alter kakers and disgusting “audio journalists” have contributed the most to determine which tastes and preferences are popular… *check out books Cialdini, Kahneman, and Thaler for more on these ideas

Nothing personal , and i think you’re mensch in the way you come across in many threads , compared to so many dumb mother fukkers who think just because they bought some expensive piece of gear and they like it, they think it will emotionally move everyone else. But If you have a beef, your beef is with the Wolfster. Yet the wolfster wouldn’t have acquired TotalDac and CAT if he didn’t think it would appeal to a segment of the market he thinks is important, no matter how small that natural and organic market segment is....

Good luck with your pillium. I hope you install many more , but maybe you can let this go.

Congratulations to TotalDAC on a great achievement!!!!
Sorry, I don't subscribe to your opinions on knocking other people. I don't respect those that throw stones at others.

I have no beef with Alon, he is my friend. As far as I know Alon had the TD in his shop to see how it sounded like the many other digital front ends that I mentioned over the last several years. He is NOT using TD currently and has not used TD for over a year in the Magico shop or did he use it at any show in the last year that I am aware of.

I also have nothing against the TD product, it's one of the high end digital offerings in the market. I respect it.

My only comment was and nothing more than that was the misleading statement that was made about TD having been selected to be used in the Magico showroom with the M9, M7s and S3. It was not. The M7s and S3s did not even exist when the TD was at the Magico factory for evaluation.

Now I will let it go. Nothing more to say.

Reactions: Golum and GuyB

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Its sad that this behavior exists and that Caesar seems to want to be the audio yenta. The real issue with being the audio yenta is you are almost always wrong. Innuendo and acusation and nasty comments don't make any of the yentaisms true.

Everything that Bob said I believe is true and for those of us at MOC last year Wadax was being used with Magico in two locations ,
I have heard from a little birdie that Wadax will show with Magico again this year.
What does this mean? I have no clue but perhaps someone can make up a good old wives tale for this as well :)

Some companies in their soundrooms have loads of product that has either been swapped, loaned, purchased etc. It is important for manufacturers to be aware of some of the products that are to be used by thier dealers and customers. Its not really a deep dark secret nor is there any deep conspiracies a foot.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
...has not used TD for over a year in the Magico shop or did he use it at any show in the last year that I am aware of.

My only comment was and nothing more than that was the misleading statement that was made about TD having been selected to be used in the Magico showroom with the M9, M7s and S3. It was not. The M7s and S3s did not even exist when the TD was at the Magico factory for evaluation.

Alon optimized the installation of the new Totaldac DAC between January 2023 and April 2023, we exchanged about 200 emails about that.
Yes the M7 was already released in April 2023, the new S3 too, and the M9 too

The presence of new Totaldac source (d1-sublime) in this auditorium was confidential until a reviewer would show this on photos or videos, this is what happened recently in mono&stereo

Yes indeed a Totaldac source was not used in hifi shows at least because there is no distribution agreement for that.

Magico M7 release, October 2023

Magico new S3 release, December 2022

Magico M9 release much earlier

Reactions: christoph and VPN

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I simply don't know when the mono&stereo article was made, I only know that the d1-sublime installation was finished in April 2023, so less than one year ago.

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: Glide3 and VPN

caesar

May 30, 2010
Its sad that this behavior exists and that Caesar seems to want to be the audio yenta. The real issue with being the audio yenta is you are almost always wrong. Innuendo and acusation and nasty comments don't make any of the yentaisms true.

Everything that Bob said I believe is true and for those of us at MOC last year Wadax was being used with Magico in two locations ,
I have heard from a little birdie that Wadax will show with Magico again this year.
What does this mean? I have no clue but perhaps someone can make up a good old wives tale for this as well :)

Some companies in their soundrooms have loads of product that has either been swapped, loaned, purchased etc. It is important for manufacturers to be aware of some of the products that are to be used by thier dealers and customers. Its not really a deep dark secret nor is there any deep conspiracies a foot.

Hey Elliot,
If some idiot chooses a DAC or just because Wolf "selected" it, well he is a dumb mother fuyer who is taking a huge risk trusting someone else's taste, instead of having confidence to explore and determine what's best for him.

Now I understand why the dealers and distributors in this thread got their undies TWISTED so TIGHT they are SQUEALING: Appeal to authority marketing is a key driver of sales in this industry.

We will never know how big and successful magico would have gotten if it weren't for valin and 'worthless to the audio fans" robery harley , who is willing to mislead people over a $40 record , haranguing people for over a decade that magico is the BEST. (Don't you, borresson, stenheim, etc., wish this was done for yoru brand?!? for a frigging decade!!!)

Other than you with Wadax, rhapsody with this pillium sac, and the french dealer Guy, who sells soulution, liking the rhapsody's posts, the experienced and self confident fans do not give a sh!t what wolf "selects". yet watching you industry insiders react to a picture gives me a belly laugh. and at the same time, I feel really bad for y'all. REALLY BAD!

But, as you mention, magico has somehow acquired totaldac for their showroom, per the posted picture. From a fan's perspective, people who want a more natural and organic presentation have the option to hear that on the usually Sterile magico, as well as whatever wolf "selected".

And what's up with the name calling? I thought you were a better man than that

caesar

May 30, 2010
Sorry, I don't subscribe to your opinions on knocking other people. I don't respect those that throw stones at others.

I have no beef with Alon, he is my friend. As far as I know Alon had the TD in his shop to see how it sounded like the many other digital front ends that I mentioned over the last several years. He is NOT using TD currently and has not used TD for over a year in the Magico shop or did he use it at any show in the last year that I am aware of.

I also have nothing against the TD product, it's one of the high end digital offerings in the market. I respect it.

Now I will let it go. Nothing more to say.
good luck with selling your pillium. i hope wolf selects it, and it helps you sell dozens upon dozens of them

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hey Elliot,
If some idiot chooses a DAC or just because Wolf "selected" it, well he is a dumb mother fuyer who is taking a huge risk trusting someone else's taste, instead of having confidence to explore and determine what's best for him.

Now I understand why the dealers and distributors in this thread got their undies TWISTED so TIGHT they are SQUEALING: Appeal to authority marketing is a key driver of sales in this industry.

We will never know how big and successful magico would have gotten if it weren't for valin and 'worthless to the audio fans" robery harley , who is willing to mislead people over a $40 record , haranguing people for over a decade that magico is the BEST. (Don't you, borresson, stenheim, etc., wish this was done for yoru brand?!? for a frigging decade!!!)

Other than you with Wadax, rhapsody with this pillium sac, and the french dealer Guy, who sells soulution, liking the rhapsody's posts, the experienced and self confident fans do not give a sh!t what wolf "selects". yet watching you industry insiders react to a picture gives me a belly laugh. and at the same time, I feel really bad for y'all. REALLY BAD!

But, as you mention, magico has somehow acquired totaldac for their showroom, per the posted picture. From a fan's perspective, people who want a more natural and organic presentation have the option to hear that on the usually Sterile magico, as well as whatever wolf "selected".

And what's up with the name calling? I thought you were a better man than that
Please your calling everyone names and are the king of conspiracy theories. Personally what manufacturers use is many times just convenience and business trading however you want to accuse everyone of serious crimes and criminal behavior. In your case I use the audio yenta because you totally do this . I use it as a term of endearment as I did not call you any of the names you call everyone else.
I thought you had a better sense of humor and much thicker skin. We all realize you dislike all reviewers that don’t agree with you which is almost all of them. i can deal with that but your words are extra harsh and so my response.
Chill man it’s just someone’s opinion and that is exactly what this forum is!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
BTW Caesar I agree with you that people shouldn't care what others in "authority" think for many of the reasons I posted by sadly they do. I think that many buyers take a survey of opinions and then use those to make their own opinion. Isn't this common in almost every thing in the USA and probably the world? Aren't we all bombarded everyday with this with celebrities hawking stuff and the news giving their opinions rather than the facts.
So we live with it and make our own choices. I don't believe that Bob or myself have ever crapped on other brands that we don't represent or sell. However like Bob I will defend myself, my brands and my business when BS is shoveled and lies are posted. There are others that dont behave in this manner. Those who diss products when it suits them and then post the review and the raves from the same reviewers when they can. Id be happy privately to substantiate this is need be.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I am hesitant to add anything, but isn't this a Totaldac thread for their announcements?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing