Totaldac new DACs

NICO

Jan 2, 2023
Hello VPN,
In my opinion, from the first listens at home, they provide a better stereophonic sound scene and small sounds that we did not perceive as clearly before. I had tried other feet without significant results.
They further improve live sound and overall listening pleasure, I won't go back !!!

Reactions: VPN

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi all,
Stereophile has released a review of the d1-unity in the December issue.

"Hearing it hanging between my speakers produced what my brain has assumed was a distinctly analog thrill.
The French DAC was allowing me to revel in one of the most fun illusions of reproduced music
-the realistic presence of voices and instruments- using a digital signal. This was cool!

... it does make music sound more unrestrained and physically believable than any digital front end I've heard
(save for Totaldac's top-of-the-line decoder, which I mentioned earlier)."

st.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NICO and VPN

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A new amplifier and the matching driver have just been released.

The Amp-1-sublime is the new Totaldac reference amplifier, using solid state components exclusively.
The triode stage used in the previous generation of Amp-1 is now upgraded by an innovating transistor gain stage, using very low component count (all discrete) and no global feedback.
A very high voltage (240Vdc) is used to give the maximum dynamic to the signal and its power supply is based on a discrete regulator as well.
The circuit uses 0.01% VAR Bulk Metal® Foil resistors from Vishay in the critical voltage gain stage.
The gain stage is then followed by an equally innovating and powerful transistor buffer, using no global feedback as well.
This design combines no global feedback, low noise, high gain (33dB), high bandwidth (400KHz) and high current (driving 1ohm) thanks to its 2500VA/25kg live-power transformer.
These characteristics produce a transparent, fast, live and natural sound without harshness and at the same time with punch and weight in bass.
The Amp-1-sublime amplifier is available as stereo amplifier with RCA inputs or as fully balanced monobloc with XLR input.
amplifier page: https://www.totaldac.com/amp-1-en.htm

A new d1-driver is also released to perfectly match the quality of this new amplifier.
The d1-driver-sublime has no volume control because it relies on the DAC volume control but in case the complete system gain is too high (DAC + amp + speakers + room) an analog -15.5dB attenuation can be activated using a switch at the back panel.
This attenuator uses 12 pieces of 0.01% VAR Bulk Metal® Foil resistors from Vishay.
In case the complete system misses some gain with some tracks recorded very low, the latest Totaldac DACs offer a +12dB digital gain option.
This 2 selectable gain in a Totaldac system allow to optimize all configurations.
driver page: https://www.totaldac.com/D1-driver-en.htm

totaldac-amp-1-sublime-inside.jpg

amp-1_back_top_1200.jpg

amp-1_front_top_1200.jpg

totaldac-d1-driver-sublime-inside.jpg

totaldac-d1-driver-sublime-rear.jpg

d1-driver-front.jpg

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: NekoAudio

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Total dac have a development plan to use xdmi for taiko ?
IIRC, Emile said in the Taiko thread that TotalDac are happy with the XDMI/AES output from the Olympus.
So IMO, no special board inside TotalDac is required:

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

ton77

Feb 12, 2023
Another quote by Emile:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Totaldac DACs stay with AES-EBU input (and coax, optical, USB).

This AES-EBU link is not the limit with Totaldac DACs (I am only talking about Totaldac DACs).
The limit is in the digital source (music server or streamer for example).
I made many experiments to prove it.
For example I used a good Analog to Digital converter connected directly to microphones, and the same Analog to Digital converter connected to a good analog master tape player, or reading the digital file.
All these tests based on the same concert played in the Totaldac auditorium, and sent to the same AES-EBU Totaldac DAC.

Please come and listen to the DAC sound in Munich show 2024 (featuring all the new products available in 2024, very different from 2023).
Only the real demo counts.
Judge the final result only and listen and compare all good rooms.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers.
more photos here: https://www.monoandstereo.com/magico-factory-tour-2/

corrected magico_m9_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury...jpg

M9.jpg

corrected 5box magico_m9_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_l...jpg

corrected magico_m9_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury...jpg

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers.

View attachment 124659

View attachment 124660

View attachment 124661

View attachment 124662

View attachment 124663

View attachment 124664

View attachment 124665
Looks like a lot of damping on top of the Totaldac Units and also the Oladra. In my experience, most of the time I prefer with no damping on top. However, I have never tried the Magico feet on top of Totaldac units for damping. Any end user here tried? How did they perform?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Key customer revealed! The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch
Congrats on this!
My impression is that Magico want to have many different manufacturers for the devices in their demo room.
So I can see Taiko, Antipodes, Totaldac, CH Precision, Pilium, Telos and others :cool:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Congrats on this!
My impression is that Magico want to have many different manufacturers for the devices in their demo room.
So I can see Taiko, Antipodes, Totaldac, CH Precision, Pilium, Telos and others :cool:
Thank you. The d1-sublime was installed in January 2023, so in place for 1 year now.

Reactions: Zigis

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

View attachment 124659

View attachment 124660

View attachment 124661

View attachment 124662

View attachment 124663

View attachment 124664

View attachment 124665
Vincent, How old is this photo with the TD in the Magico room? I'm asking because I think it might have been a year or more ago. I do know that Magico had the TD in the showroom last year at some point, but they alternate many digital pieces over time. This pic below was taken today in the Magico showroom with the M7s. To my knowledge Magico is not using the Total DAC at this time. Sorry, just a bit confusing.
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 14.59.35.jpeg

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Vincent, How old is this photo with the TD in the Magico room? I'm asking because I think it might have been a year or more ago. I do know that Magico had the TD in the showroom last year at some point, but they alternate many digital pieces over time. This pic below was taken today in the Magico showroom with the M7s. To my knowledge Magico is not using the Total DAC at this time. Sorry, just a bit confusing.
View attachment 125283
The photos showing Totaldac DACs in Magico room were published in mono&stereo last week, this is where I saw them for the first time, I don't know more.

Reactions: Rhapsody

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
View attachment 125283
That is a very thick rug. Serves as first reflection absorption. I should get one like this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing