Trinity DAC

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi, I have read rave reviews of TIM Reference USB cable from Abslolue Creations. On Trinity DAC and PC & Drive. Only reading though.

Vess

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Audiocrack - I have settled on the AQ Diamond a while back, and haven't done any comparos since. IMO a different cable may still make a difference.

I'm playing with my computer now (just upgraded to the Windows Serwer 2012; next will be the Audiophile Optimiser install). When I'm done with my PC, I may return to the USB cable topic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Audiocrack - I have settled on the AQ Diamond a while back, and haven't done any comparos since. IMO a different cable may still make a difference.

I'm playing with my computer now (just upgraded to the Windows Serwer 2012; next will be the Audiophile Optimiser install). When I'm done with my PC, I may return to the USB cable topic.

Adam,
Are you going to listen to the Trinity player PC/server in your system? Although I enjoy reading opinions about people computer servers, they usually introduce a non controllable variability and non reproducibility in evaluations and reviews.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Audiocrack,

If you accept that the Trinity PC/CD player makes any difference you must be prepared to accept that the USB cable also makes a difference. ;) BTW, do you think that a physical CD played through the player sounds better or worst than the ripped CD in your Trinity combo?[/QUOTE

The Trinity cd-drive indeed sounds better than a regular computer in combination with the Trinity dac. So maybe usb-cables do make a difference as well. But I am not sure and that is of course the reason why I raised this question. As regards your question: I do not know the answer to it as I have not made a comparison yet.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Unfortunately - so far - Polish distributor didn't order the transport. They have the 3rd DAC on order, but no transport :(

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Yes, I heard differences in my system using the Trinity with the Totaldac cable compared to other USB cables.
The Diamond I used before seemed darker sounding, with less resolution and also a little bit slower on transients.

AFAIK, the d1 USB cable also acts as a USB filter removing any electrical noise/interference.

With the Totaldac cable used in your system you may reach different conclusions but for the price I think it's really worth trying.

Here it is:

View attachment 14945

Thanks again. Given your experience I am going to try different usb cables.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi, I have read rave reviews of TIM Reference USB cable from Abslolue Creations. On Trinity DAC and PC & Drive. Only reading though.

Vess

Thanks. Do you know who produces the TIM reference usb cable and where they are located?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The TIM Reference cables are made by Absolute Creations.

You can find them here: http://www.absoluecreations.com/Navigation2_copie(1).htm

Thanks again Matrix. I am not sure wether I want to try their usb cable but I will think it over. The differences you heard with your Trinity dac and the both usb cables you mentioned: are we talking about (very) small differences or do you consider the differences profound/important enough to invest in and try out various cables?

Matrix

Mar 3, 2014
Audiocrack,

the only USB cables I've tried with the Trinity were the AQ Diamond and Totaldac d1 USB cable/filter.

I've read very good things about the TIM Ref cable but didn't try it yet.

The differences btw the AQ and Totaldac cable are not profound but they are there.
As I said before, the Totaldac cable in my system seems to be more open, faster with slightly more resolution.
Differences are not night and day but considering the price of the Totaldac cable, imho it's worth a try.

Regarding the TIM Ref cable and taking it's price into account I would try to hear one before making a decision.

Having spent more time with the Trinity, the very positive initial impressions didn't fade off, on the contrary!
It's my belief that Dietmar really created something very special here.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fwiw, I have Martin Colloms 2012 review of 15 USB cables...he ranked furutech and chord 5m the highest, then AQ diamond. He said the chord must be 5m...he heard 1.5m and had no idea why it sounded so poor in comparison. It was in hifi critic dec 2012 I think.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Audiocrack,

the only USB cables I've tried with the Trinity were the AQ Diamond and Totaldac d1 USB cable/filter.

I've read very good things about the TIM Ref cable but didn't try it yet.

The differences btw the AQ and Totaldac cable are not profound but they are there.
As I said before, the Totaldac cable in my system seems to be more open, faster with slightly more resolution.
Differences are not night and day but considering the price of the Totaldac cable, imho it's worth a try.

Regarding the TIM Ref cable and taking it's price into account I would try to hear one before making a decision.

Having spent more time with the Trinity, the very positive initial impressions didn't fade off, on the contrary!
It's my belief that Dietmar really created something very special here.

Totally with you on the Trinity combo: it is marvelous! A pitty that - relatively - only a few people have been able to listen to the Trinity dac and Trinity cd-drive. It deserves to be heard by a lot more music lovers.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Fwiw, I have Martin Colloms 2012 review of 15 USB cables...he ranked furutech and chord 5m the highest, then AQ diamond. He said the chord must be 5m...he heard 1.5m and had no idea why it sounded so poor in comparison. It was in hifi critic dec 2012 I think.

Interesting Lloyd. Talked this week with Dietmar about usb cables and he is of the opinion that an usb cable should be as short as possible, say 50 cm, in order to get the best results.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting Lloyd. Talked this week with Dietmar about usb cables and he is of the opinion that an usb cable should be as short as possible, say 50 cm, in order to get the best results.

Intuitively, that makes sense to me...but I am only passing on MCs observation which he admitted was inexplicable. I almost wonder if it was quality control?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is the good think of having the server/player and the DAC coming from the same designer - you can rely on his advice.

The performance of the USB cable will depend on the electrical parameters and noise of the source and receiver. Cable manufacturers target at certain specif standard or typical values but they can not be sure their cable suits optimally all conditions. It is why we have to try.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks for sharing. Both reviewers seem to be very enthusiastic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For all those who are interested in the Trinity dac: see http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/fileadmin/template/bilder/reviews/387_trinity_dac.pdf for the English translation of the Trinity dac (rave) review in Audiotechnique magazine.

Thanks - much easier to read then the Chinese version. ;) BTW, the important parameter of the bulk foil resistors described in the Trinity DAC review is not tolerance or temperature coefficient but noise - high precision thin film resistors can be 20 dB noisier than bulk foil. I should thank Gary Koh for calling my attention to this aspect recently in another WBF thread.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing. Both reviewers seem to be very enthusiastic.

I believe you may call it a rave review. Please keep in mind the reviewers had not the Trinity cd-drive available which IMHO raises the bar even further.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Agreed. Thay have used laptop, but that is just a starting point and should be treated as such. Going with a simple CAPS v3 server with quality power supply (battery or Teddy Pardo/Hynes variety) already brings considerable improvement over laptop or Aurender S10.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing