Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I'm not one who likes to jump through hoops to audition a manufacturer's product. The Entreq solution you suggest for those of us in the USA is just not feasible for me. Too much trouble. Tripoint doesn't have many dealers in the U.S. either at this point. An audition with Miguel's product is not that easy.

I'm afraid you guys will be singing it's praises to each other until both Entreq and Tripoint have product in the pipeline that people can audition without a lot of effort.

That's entirely understandable Frank.
Hopefully an opportunity to audition the products more easily will become possible before too long.
Sometimes though it's worth breaking habits of a lifetime but I fully accept that is for you to decide and no criticism intended

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Frank, I concur w/you. The only things that I've bought on a no quibble sale or return basis, because they don't have a UK dealer, have been the Spatial Computer Black Hole anti-bass wave generator, and Red Wine Audio Black Lightning twin-battery pack psu for my Soundsmith Straingauge cart. Both in the $1500 region. However I felt they were worth a punt and luckily they proved their worth. Both are from small bespoke concerns, and the companies wouldn't easily be able to cover all the costs of carriage/sales tax for a non sale. As it happens I also got lucky in that I got stung only mildly re post-delivery charges.
I guess at twice the cost, ie $3k for a S. Tellus and single Atlantis cable, I might have thought twice, esp. since the auditioning process is a little different from a regular component a-b comparison, and hence the worth of the purchase is harder to pin down initially. This really is one where personal dealer input is an advantage. Lloyd, Barry and I are going to put as much friendly pressure on Kog and Entreq to plug the hole on lack of UK dealers, and maybe then you'll feel confident to investigate, and so that any critical mass on interest developed on these threads can be acted on.
I still feel Entreq has the advantage over Troy in having a conventional upgrade path ie ground boxes: Minimus>Tellus>Silver Tellus>Atlantis add on box, w.cables: Copper Eartha>Silver Apollo>Silver Atlantis, whereas Troy is a massive investment all in one go. No criticism of Troy, just that Entreq is more familiar to us re an "affordable">more expensive upgrade path.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Frank FWIW I just remembered seeing some reference to an Entreq dealer in Canada which I have now confirmed.
Its element-acoustics.ca in British Columbia and their web site has the Entreq boxes and ground cables.
It's still a fair way from Chicago but I pass it in case it helps.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe you guys in N. America could push for a strict deal on getting trial from Canada w/all costs covered. Hard on the pressurised dealer, but like Barry, I really do feel the vast majority will be happy w/what they hear, and the Canadian dealer would be $s in once there is a steady stream of interested buyers.

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Glad you have started on the path to a noiseless system. You are getting a partial glimpse as what is possible. The size of the pathway is what really makes a noiseless system transcendant. Listening to a full orchestra or chorus everything is crystal clear absolutely no congestion,the soundstage explodes and you are cocooned in sound and energy. You can hear everything the mic hears,as musicians talk in the background with Bill Evans playing thinking they can't be heard. Drum whacks sound like gunshots and everything sounds and images in lifelike proportions.
You're right...you are hooked.

Hi Roger,
I have run 4 & 6 gauge copper grounding wire to all my components. I began with grounding the phono stage and turntable/tone arm with very pleasing effect. Unfortunately, as I continued grounding the amp and preamp chassis' the system developed an overly analytical presentation. Since, I removed these grounds and much of the magic returned.
Might I have grounded these components incorrectly, or added grounding unnecessarily?
Thanks for input on this subject of grounding. It has lowered noise floor, improved delineation, and removed a slight, but previously unnoticed haze.
Thanks, Steve

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I don't know at all if your foray into diy grounding is comparable to the audiophile, aka pricey, approach, but some combinations of grounding don't work (in my case, anyhow), and if they don't, they can negatively dominate the sound. In my situation, my first expt on grounding the preamp was phenomenal, but going onto the phono was questionable to say the least, and completely swamped the feelgood of preamp grounding. At that point I was pretty much happy to stick w/preamp grounding only. Moving onto my Straingauge cart, and now additional grounding was wholly excellent, leading to my current situation of 5 components grounded.
Then I tried the add on box Atlantis grounding, w/debatable results (although it seems the cable used may be decisive here, not the box, Atlantis box wking best w/Atlantis cable), and so have stalled on further investment.
You may be getting some of my head scratching results.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I have the Tripoint Troy Se and last week added 2 of the new Thor Se grounging cables to my Walker Turntable and Lamm LP1 phono and not only are they beautifully made but they unleash incredible amounts of detail,speed,body,coherence and bottom end articulation that was not there with the master reference and standard thor grounding cables.A real achievement from a perfectionist.
God only knows what the emperor brings to the table,its scary.
Robert
Robert

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Not surprised at all: see my earlier comments on this thread regarding the Thor se grounding cable. It is a fabulous grounding cable. One question (as a fellow user of the Walker table): how exactly did you ground your Walker turntable?

As regards your latest comment I suppose I must - strictly speaking - disagree: apart from God Miguel the perfectionist has a pretty good idea about (and has described vividly to me) what the emperor is going to do in my system. All kidding aside: the emperor grounding is something very special indeed.

Last edited:

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Steve, I don't know at all if your foray into diy grounding is comparable to the audiophile, aka pricey, approach, but some combinations of grounding don't work (in my case, anyhow), and if they don't, they can negatively dominate the sound. In my situation, my first expt on grounding the preamp was phenomenal, but going onto the phono was questionable to say the least, and completely swamped the feelgood of preamp grounding. At that point I was pretty much happy to stick w/preamp grounding only. Moving onto my Straingauge cart, and now additional grounding was wholly excellent, leading to my current situation of 5 components grounded.
Then I tried the add on box Atlantis grounding, w/debatable results (although it seems the cable used may be decisive here, not the box, Atlantis box wking best w/Atlantis cable), and so have stalled on further investment.
You may be getting some of my head scratching results.
Hi Spiritofmusic, Thanks for sharing your experiences. Back in earlier comments, it was suggested that one must be cautious with where grounding cables are connected, but that, if done correctly, arguably may bring results similar to the grounding systems within this forum. The monies necessary to get onto the playing field likely won't happen in my lifetime, so hoping for the next best thing.
Thanks, Steve

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting comments. In my own personal 18 month hunt to lower noise floor thru mechanical isolation and grounding, I found similar things. Namely, I sometimes found that greater clarity brought some hardness. It frustrated me because once I'd heard such clarity, I did not want to give it up...but I also knew I could never live with such hardness. Fortunately such bouts never lasted more than 24 hours before I figured out a way to keep the clarity and get my system back to is "original tone. In the case of grounding, I found the choice of metals made a difference.I prefer the Atlantis or Apollo grounding cables on my Receivus over the grounding cable which can come pre hard-wired to the Receivus.

I feel I was maniacal about keeping all the detail and yet maintaining the tone...but it was due to the quality of options provid by Tripoint and Entreq that allowed me to find that balance.
Hi Roger,
I have run 4 & 6 gauge copper grounding wire to all my components. I began with grounding the phono stage and turntable/tone arm with very pleasing effect. Unfortunately, as I continued grounding the amp and preamp chassis' the system developed an overly analytical presentation. Since, I removed these grounds and much of the magic returned.
Might I have grounded these components incorrectly, or added grounding unnecessarily?
Thanks for input on this subject of grounding. It has lowered noise floor, improved delineation, and removed a slight, but previously unnoticed haze.
Thanks, Steve

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Strapper, what is the price differential btwn Thor SE, Thor Standard, and Master Reference ground cables? I'd just like to compare the state of play w/accumulative costs on Troy SE and Troy ground cables, versus Entreq's S. Tellus & Atlantis & Cleanus & Receivus/Apollo & Atlantis leads.
I'm aware the as I add Atlantis box/Cleanus/Atlantis cables to the mix, then poss Receivus', the prices btwn Troy and Entreq really converge.
Would just like to know how much.
Rest assured I will NOT do a flaming of prices.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$302.50 Signature Silver 2 meter

$3767.50 Thor 2 meter

$5500.00 Thor SE 2 meter

[/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have rearranged my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity/Taralabs audio system yesterday. In doing so I unhooked the Tripoint Troy signature se from all components and after that started connecting the several components step by step after some intensive critical listening. In short my experiences were:
- the Tripoint Troy signature se is an absolutely must in getting the best out of a high quality audio set up. The differences between using and not using this device are huge.
- the order or way in which you connect the various components to the three binding post on the Tripoint Troy signature se makes a big difference as well. I experimented a lot with various combinations. Eg, connecting my two Zanden power amps to the same binding post did not work out as well as using two different binding posts. Really looking forward to the Tripoint emperor grounding unit with it's 8 binding post: I am now sure that eliminating any 'crosstalk' by using separate binding post for all different components will yield even better results than the already very impressive Tripoint Troy signature se.
- the Thor se grounding cable sounds much better than the regular grounding cables. The differences between these cable are not subtle! The Thor se grounding cable is phenomenal. To unleash the full potential of the Tripoint Troy signature se you need to combine it with the Thor se grounding cable(s).
- in my set up connecting the Thor se grounding cable to the Zanden preamp/linestage proved much more effective than using it in combination with my Trinity media pc/cd-transport.
- using different materials or stands under the Tripoint Troy signate se makes a difference as well. So setting up the Tripoint Troy signature se carefully is important.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great feedback, Audiocrack. Thanks...a tedious but important process!! I agree with the statements you make on how/where you post the grounding wires. I had exactly the same experience on my Tripoint Troy SE. I use standard Tripoint cables...plus Entreq Atlantis and Apollo cables...and I definitely found mixing those did not work on the binding posts. I also found the Atlantis cables (which have one end which is split into 2 spades) is best attached to 2 grounding posts rather than have both split ends on the same.

As you say, with only 3 binding posts...it would be great to have 8!!! Which you will soon enough! I have not experimented with the Thor SE grounding cables but can imagine based on my experience with Entreq's Atlantis cables that the Thor SE cables are great.

Thanks again...again, very tedious but well worth the time to get it right.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
LL , just to keep in mind that the 3 binding posts accept a banana plugs as well , just in case you want yo further your world record ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL , just to keep in mind that the 3 binding posts accept a banana plugs as well , just in case you want yo further your world record ;)

you KIDDING me? wait a minute...give me a second...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...ok...i just looked on the back of the Troy SE...so those 'holes' in the back of the binding post can actually fit a banana plug? Have you tried it? I never realized they would fit a banana plug. 3 more grounding cables!!! ;)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
No have not tried , but they are there if needed . You will have to get a earth cable terminated accordingly though . They work like regular binding posts , accepting both Banana and spade . Maybe best to X-check with your dealer , but am sure it will work .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No have not tried , but they are there if needed . You will have to get a earth cable terminated accordingly though . They work like regular binding posts , accepting both Banana and spade . Maybe best to X-check with your dealer , but am sure it will work .

Thanks...will ask Miguel.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Audiocrack,
I ground the Walker on the back plate on the grounding post where the interconnect plug-ins are.They are not to many places to ground on the Walker.
Where do you ground the Walker.
The Tripoint products are very advanced and are needed to achieve ultimate nirvana.The Troy SE and Thor Se and new Emperor are very serious products not tweeks,and have to be treated as so.

Robert

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing