Turntable platter-LP impedance match

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
From HW at VPI...his response to questions on what mat to use:

I use three pieces of 1" wide black electrical tape on my platter now. Set at 120 degree spacing in the center of the groove area one piece is 1"X 1", and two are 1" X 2" with one of the rectangular ones 90 degrees to the other. Sounds crazy but Gary Koh from Genesis Speakers came up with this while using his direct drive VPI Vanquish. It works on all the bare platters very well.

He also uses three 1/16" balls glued to the bottom of his center weight at different distances from the center and using three different ball materials. I know, sounds crazy, it works beautifully.

I tried the tape last night...it works.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes, electrical tape is also vinyl, good material to use, just not a complete solution.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I really like the SPEC AP-UDI turntable mat on my TW Acustic Raven Anniversary with copper platter. Use a sorbothane puck on top of the spindle/ record for just a touch of damping. Alternatively, use a heavy, polished stainless steel record weight if the record is slightly warped.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I really like the SPEC AP-UDI turntable mat on my TW Acustic Raven Anniversary with copper platter. Use a sorbothane puck on top of the spindle/ record for just a touch of damping. Alternatively, use a heavy, polished stainless steel record weight if the record is slightly warped.

Right, I have sorbothane under my VPI center weight for the same reason

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang and Christian, are you guys using your leather mats or placing the records directly on your platter? Do you hear a difference between the two?

Hi Peter,

I put a leather mat with thickness of about 1mm on the platter. I tuned all my carts with the leather mat on. So when I took out the mat I should have adjusted the vta but I didn’t. Without the mat, the sound is thinner. Less dimension and tonal spectrum of instrument. Strings zing more. High extension goes even higher. But also less presence especially on vocal. A bit more blank space between instruments.

Kind regards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
From HW at VPI...his response to questions on what mat to use:

I use three pieces of 1" wide black electrical tape on my platter now. Set at 120 degree spacing in the center of the groove area one piece is 1"X 1", and two are 1" X 2" with one of the rectangular ones 90 degrees to the other. Sounds crazy but Gary Koh from Genesis Speakers came up with this while using his direct drive VPI Vanquish. It works on all the bare platters very well.

He also uses three 1/16" balls glued to the bottom of his center weight at different distances from the center and using three different ball materials. I know, sounds crazy, it works beautifully.

I tried the tape last night...it works.

This just sounds like another version of Peter Belt's infamous tweak for the LP12 in the early 80's. Put some sticky tape onto the edge of the LP12 platter and listen again. It sounds better!!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
When I had my Sondeks I used a piece of non slip rubberised pitted fabric as pictured from one I had in the 90's--

It is the material one uses on boat tables /etc to prevent sliding--

Don't laugh it works quite well and only 20C for a piece to try;)

BruceD

LP12.JPG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
When I had my Sondeks I used a piece of non slip rubberised pitted fabric as pictured from one I had in the 90's--

It is the material one uses on boat tables /etc to prevent sliding--

Don't laugh it works quite well and only 20C for a piece to try;)

BruceD

View attachment 43594

As an ex-boater, I am aware of this material and continue to find uses for it. It's now on the top of my left speaker so that my cat has better grip when he launches himself to and from it. :)

I might try it on my turntable....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

I put a leather mat with thickness of about 1mm on the platter. I tuned all my carts with the leather mat on. So when I took out the mat I should have adjusted the vta but I didn’t. Without the mat, the sound is thinner. Less dimension and tonal spectrum of instrument. Strings zing more. High extension goes even higher. But also less presence especially on vocal. A bit more blank space between instruments.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks Tang. Yes, some of those sonic attributes might be from too high a VTA now, it is hard to say. Regardless, it seems you really like the sound of the AS2000 with the leather mat/interface. Congratulations on the sound and your learning how to fine tune your various cartridges. It makes it fun when you are confident of your own abilities and don't need to call a set up guy to change cartridges.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks Tang. Yes, some of those sonic attributes might be from too high a VTA now, it is hard to say. Regardless, it seems you really like the sound of the AS2000 with the leather mat/interface. Congratulations on the sound and your learning how to fine tune your various cartridges. It makes it fun when you are confident of your own abilities and don't need to call a set up guy to change cartridges.
With the record sitting directly on the stainless platter the sound has more impact but it’s less musical the chosen leather mat rounds off the sound to the right balance IMO and without the negative overdampening of some materials or thinning of some others. Experimentation with different mats is always encouraged if further sonic tuning is desired or for nothing else than experience.

david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
As an ex-boater, I am aware of this material and continue to find uses for it. It's now on the top of my left speaker so that my cat has better grip when he launches himself to and from it. :)

I might try it on my turntable....

Hmmm MF-- You come across as the perfect gentleman---:D!

If any Moggy got atop my Speakers he'd be launched to :mad:

Sorry

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
To promote family harmony with our beloved Lola my wife thoughtfully suggested a glass wall between the listening room and the kitchen to keep the dog away from the equipment.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
This just sounds like another version of Peter Belt's infamous tweak for the LP12 in the early 80's. Put some sticky tape onto the edge of the LP12 platter and listen again. It sounds better!!

Yes it does....considering how little material is used I was skeptical...but it was cheap and easy to implement so I gave it a spin...so to speak.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
After building turntables for over a decade, I remain convinced that LP/platter interface is the single most important aspect of turntable design.

Further, I believe that if the end user can improve the design by changing that interface, it says a lot more about the orignal designer of the piece than it does the end user, or the resulting performance.

Summary: A good design stands on its own merit.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
After building turntables for over a decade, I remain convinced that LP/platter interface is the single most important aspect of turntable design.

Further, I believe that if the end user can improve the design by changing that interface, it says a lot more about the orignal designer of the piece than it does the end user, or the resulting performance.

+1.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Interesting, I would have thought it was speed control. Without precise speed control, you sure are going to have one lousy sounding table. IME, the better the speed control, the better the SQ. Which is why I am so interested in the new Grand Prix Monaco table...and Alvin’s obsession with exactly this issue...and his claim that his table has speed control down to a very fine factor. The platter/LP interface is important, but I believe it pails in comparison to exacting speed accuracy. IMHO

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I like precise speed control, but consistency is the most important. After all, there are a zillion records that aren't spot-on at 33-1/3 rpm. I am OCD about speed accuracy on my own turntable, however.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

True and basically the sound quality and character is already determined by the tt's design parameters but one can alter the sound using different mats, weights, etc. and improvement is a relative term when there's no accounting for taste :)!

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Meh. I find platter interaction can make a TT sound great even if the speed slowly wanders up and down a little. LP slip is really bad though, which is a form of speed. The funny thing about speed is that no matter how accurate it is, you get variances in it if you dont have one of those self centering tables. Pitch wanders a little. A centered LP sounds different.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing