Tweaks : A sensible investment or a waste of money?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ah I see. Since the wire with gain is a fictional ideal I guess every part of every system is a tweak.

Exactly! :) (Speakers and room excluded... )

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
An alternative formulation:

Anything that deviates from an wire with gain is a tweak. Speaker modifications and acoustic treatments should not be considered tweaks as they are allowed forms of preference. A tweak must be something not allowed ... In case of doubt a null test is the only allowed method to escape from the shame of being a tweak.
Since every piece of electronics on the planet deviates from this definition I think it is therefore a LITTLE bit too broad. ;)

Additionally, everything that is not directly in the signal path would not then be considered at tweak simply because it is not technically active and therefore cannot even discussed in the framework of "wire with gain". :rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I would put forward a definition of a tweak as follows:

It is not essential to the function of the system. This means in principle cables and various electronics, sources, speakers etc. are not tweaks. Non-essential items that make a MEASURABLE difference on the system, such as room acoustic tuning, equalizers etc. are also not tweaks. Based on this definition, upgrading cables and electronics in a system are not considered tweaks as these are essential items that are being improved. The change in cables is probably the most controversial here and I would say that there are likely measurable differences in cable performance even though it might be slight. A good power cable can audibly lower the noise floor and I wouldn't be surprised to see a measurement that could support this if the equipment is sensitive enough...anyone done this?

This means that most filtering (here is where power cables and power regeneration fall into a bit of a gray area), quantum this or that, brain wave harmonizers (made that up...kind of), vibration control, platforms, cable risers etc. fall under tweaks. They may very well work and they may very well even have a good physical explanation (or not) but they are not essential to the function of a system. The effect from a tweak can be large or small that is not relevant to it being a tweak or not. The main point is that it is added to an already functioning system to "enhance" that systems performance due to largely unmeasurable small changes in that system. Since psychoacoutic response is likely quite non-linear it is usually unknown in advance what the impact will be from a tweak.

Reactions: KeithR

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What you say about power cables applies to every part of the system. The power cable is just easier to switch out.

Dave, that is certainly true. A power cord is easier to switch out. And everything we do can potentially change the sound of our systems. The point that I am trying to make is that electronics usually come with power cords. They also come with footers. I would argue that footers and power cords are tweaks, because we can choose to alter the sound of the component we have bought by changing parts of that component that were supplied with it when we bought it. Tubes are similar.

Somehow, speakers, electronics, sources, and signal cables seem different to me. They comprise the fundamental components of an audio system and are all required for the system to function. The system will function without the need to buy aftermarket power cords and footers.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Dave, that is certainly true. A power cord is easier to switch out. And everything we do can potentially change the sound of our systems. The point that I am trying to make is that electronics usually come with power cords. They also come with footers. I would argue that footers and power cords are tweaks, because we can choose to alter the sound of the component we have bought by changing parts of that component that were supplied with it when we bought it. Tubes are similar.

Somehow, speakers, electronics, sources, and signal cables seem different to me. They comprise the fundamental components of an audio system and are all required for the system to function. The system will function without the need to buy aftermarket power cords and footers.

Hi Peter,
All of my components have factory installed grounding terminals, I bought the grounding cables and added them. Is this a tweak? The sound did change but is it different than adding dedicated lines or furutech outlets?

Dave

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
All of my components have factory installed grounding terminals, I bought the grounding cables and added them. Is this a tweak? The sound did change but is it different than adding dedicated lines or furutech outlets?

Dave

I would say "yes". It's a tweak, or a modification from what the factory supplied. In some cases it could be a factory option/upgrade. It doesn't really matter what you call it, IMO. What matters is that you prefer the change. That seems like good news and cause for joy.

We could also start to discuss routine maintenance like replacing tubes, turntable belts, contact cleaners, etc. At some point, we get lost in semantics and definitions.

Reactions: tima

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I would say "yes". It's a tweak, or a modification from what the factory supplied. In some cases it could be a factory option/upgrade. It doesn't really matter what you call it, IMO. What matters is that you prefer the change. That seems like good news and cause for joy.

We could also start to discuss routine maintenance like replacing tubes, turntable belts, contact cleaners, etc. At some point, we get lost in semantics and definitions.

Tweak or not, I'll listen to anything that improves my experience.:)

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Room treatment is NOT a tweak!

It is as important, if not more so, than any other piece of equipment. It is much more important to the sound of the overall system than cables, for example.

I think this endless debate about what is defined as a tweak is a bit of a waste of bandwidth. The point is that you need a foundation and a foundation includes all sorts of things including room treatments. Sure room treatments are important but so is isolation, grounding, power conditioning, etc.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Room treatment is NOT a tweak!

It is as important, if not more so, than any other piece of equipment. It is much more important to the sound of the overall system than cables, for example.

I beg to differ. Then again, I put zero value and dollars into room acoustic treatments as I consider room treatments as little more than a perceived value to some and really not much more than a band-aid. GASP!!!

For example. Some room treatments are intended solely to control/manage the bass regions in a given room. Now I'm fairly confident that for perhaps every reasonable room/speaker combination there is an optimal location for speaker placement even if it's never discovered. And if per chance you've ever encountered a full range speaker's bass where perhaps it took weeks, months, or even years to find THE optimal speaker placement position, you should instantly conclude that there is little or no need for any room treatments at least for the bass regions. That alone eliminates the need for certain room treatements.

Another example. If (and it is so) that poorly managed electrical and mechanical energies grossly impact all / nearly all aspects of the entire playback system, that induces a much-raised noise floor such that a good percentage of the music info (though read and processed) is corrupted to the point where it remains inaudible at the speaker.

Most of us have heard about the "me too hi-fi" sound that's all too common in high-end audio. For argument's sake, let's say of the average playback system and due to universal distortions only 50% of the music info embedded in a given recording, though read and processed, remains audible at the speaker and of that 50% that does remain audible also contains some audible distortions. If you knew you were only hearing maybe 50% of the music info at the speaker, would you want to start applying room treatments at that time?

Now say you do something at the system so that magically you're now hearing maybe 90% of music info of a given recording at the speaker. Wouldn't it make more sense to apply room treatments when the system is performing at that level?

But if before you were only hearing say 50% of the music info and per chance you now are hearing 90% of the music info of a given recording, how much of that additional 40% of music info do you suppose contains the ever evasive and highly desired ambient information of the recording hall? I attest that quite possibly 90% of the recording hall's ambient info is discovered in that newly revealed/audible 40%.

What if at least in theory I'm correct that much of that ambient info previously buried beneath the noise floor now becomes audible at the speaker, so much so that the recording hall's ambient info overwhelmingly squashes, overrides, and/or supercedes most / all room acoustic anomalies?

Not only would I have perhaps zero need for room acoustic treatments, but at the same time my listening perspective has just instantly transformed from the listening room to somewhere in the recording hall. At this juncture, the listening room and all it's potential anomoalies have essentially vanished or greatly diminished. Even if my new listening perspective is somewhere near the recording hall's lobby or even the restrooms, it has to be significantly better than hearing from my listening room's perspective.

On the other hand, if there was no magic and only say 50% of a given recording's music info remained audible at the speaker (again think hi-fi sound), then I suppose it could be a real battle between what little ambient info remaining audible from the recording vs the room's acoustic anomalies.

In summary, the way I see it is, there are severe distortions induced at the playback system that CAUSE only a small percentage of the music info to remain audible at the speaker. To deal with room acoustic anomalies at this level can only imply we are addressing the EFFECTS rather than the cause. And that strategy is always a never-ending rabbit hole. At the very least, there is nothing foundational about it.

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
2019 will be my year for tweaks
I am very happy with my system but need some not very expensive tweaks to improve

I need Kuro power cord for M1 20A,i have yet the original

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5526.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Do a simple room treatment,luckily i haven't problem for bass,only need to control some for mid/mid bass having empty wall

Attachments

• IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5524.jpg
    IMG_5524.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 8

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Buy good rack,mine are very old,cheap and bad

Attachments

• IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 7

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
2019 will be my year for tweaks
I am very happy with my system but need some not very expensive tweaks to improve

I need Kuro power cord for M1 20A,i have yet the original
I can send you a Tripple Crown and a Ching Cheng to a/b for fun my friend.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Do prefer the Ching Cheng over stock?
I actually never tried stock cords. So I cant answer that.

Kind regards,
Tang

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
NIce thread, Barry. What is and is not a tweak? Right now I am listening to the stock power cords that came with my Pass preamp and phono stage. I am leaning toward the notion that after-market power cords are tweaks. Sure, one needs them for the component to work, but most components come with power cords. The stock cords are essential. Anything different is a tweak. I am now finding that other power cords simply change the sound of these components, just like footers do. Perhaps some are better, but most just seem to be different.

I am going through a phase now where I am re-evaluating all of the tweaks in my system. I am finding that simpler is better and that many tweaks simply color or change the sound, more or less, to one's liking. One hears differences, often an increase in "detail" but upon longer listening, it is simply a changed emphasis on a particular frequency range and not really a advance or movement closer to the recording or to the sound of the real thing. I find it an often frustrating exercise, and quite ear opening over time. When confused, unsure or lost, I tend to refer back to ddk's preference of "natural". Does a particular tweak make the overall system sound more "natural" or not? That is the question these days.

Thank you Peter for such a thoughtful contribution.
Very recently I bought a new Oppo 203. Initially, I was thinking of a 205 but concluded that a 203 was entirely adequate for my needs and experience has borne that out.I bought a bluray audio disc Credo featuring Helene Grimaud and it sounds very good through the 203.
Buying the Oppo prompted me to review my footer placements of Stillpoint Ultra 5s ,SSs and Wave Kinetics A10s. A few weeks previously I had removed the Ultra 5s from my YG Kipod Signature passives and gone back to the stock YG footers and also moved them back by an inch. That seemed to have worked with better bass and a slightly darker sound. The Oppo purchase motivated me to change things around so that the WVs were removed from my three box Scarlatti DCS and MD 109 FM tuner. Three Ultra 5s went under the transport and SSs went under the the dac, clock and tuner. The WVs went under the Oppo and Denon AVR. The previous use of the WVs had been partly because of cosmetic considerations.
The revised configuration restored the air and clarity to the sound that I had been missing. The improved bass from the speakers remained and the channel separation was noticeably better.
In retrospect I suspect I had convinced myself that the WVs were better than the Stillpoints against the evidence.
I am sure that is a common failing and that you are absolutely right to re-evaluate your "tweaks"
The conclusion I have drawn is that when you try or make these sort of changes you really do have to be ruthless in evaluating their effects and not to spend too long on that for otherwise we run the danger of acclimatising to the different sound and persuading ourselves of what a good buy we have made.
I will therefore be very interested to read your conclusions on your present exercise.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Barry,
Now question: have you tried removing the Ultra 5s and SSs from the system altogether?

Reactions: KeithR

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I still contend that grounding is not a tweak. It is a improvement for the short comings of IC's and internal grounding schemes in electronics. Some might consider it a tweak because the improvements are incremental. But once you notice that sufficient grounding will reset your cables and internal grounding schemes then you began to realize that grounding is foundational to the system.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry,
Now question: have you tried removing the Ultra 5s and SSs from the system altogether?
Now Peter that is a challenge which I hadn't even considered.
I need to think about that such is my faith and widely considered opinion about the benefits of aftermarket footers.
Have you tried it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing