VAC 452 iQ review in Stereophile

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting

I have been experimenting with a DHT preamp volume control for the upper midrange lower trouble with very Impressive results imho , so thanks for the feedback , I am trying DHT EML l 20b single valve transformer volume control pre, the 20b is known to have very low distortion and massive headroom and voltage swings , interested in trying others that don’t have small signal valves eg 12ax7 etc

Yes I am aware of the EML 20b, like the AVVT 20b, though never heard it, but have been interested. More from an amp point of view but even more interested now that you mention the use in a pre.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes I am aware of the EML 20b, like the AVVT 20b, though never heard it, but have been interested. More from an amp point of view but even more interested now that you mention the use in a pre.
Yes it requires no small signal tubes and is a single tube pre

given the gain it can use AC for the heating with low hum, much like the 45 and the 1602/10y

have u heard any 45 pre as they can be very simple pre from a signal path but require sophisticated power supply but are very quiet for DHTs

to not prejudge my limited experience with the 20b it seems to have desirable characteristics
transparency ... spooky at times with the great recordings
great timbral honesty for classical difference between woodwind and string very desirable
spooky soundstage, with clarity to the backstage and layering which is surprisingLy realistic for classical orchestral recordings
very quiet especially between the instruments which creates a sense of space between players which I haven’t experience often before

and one quality I haven’t experience before

with vinyl it seems to handle pops and clicks in a way that makes them seem much less important, which may be a headroom issue that the 20b just handles better

caesar

May 30, 2010
You don’t know about the cable scandal ? Well ok, JV was busted hawking VERY expensive cables (maybe Nordost but I don’t remember exact details anymore) that were provided to him on long term loan from the mfg. This tarnished him for awhile but apparently people forget. I thought it was pretty scummy as I was a reviewer at that time as well.

No, I didn't know. Ugly thing... A lot of moral and ethical issues...I'm sure he claims he's innocent, and with Nordost compensated, at what point can someone be "fully forgiven" and rehabilated? ... Regardless, if involved in a similar situation, you, me, and all rational people would all watch such an individual very carefully , and not deal with him unless he re-establishes a great track record again ....

But this is not the reality we have witnessed in this scenario. From a manufacturer standpoint, Nordost is a loser here.

Other (frequently desperate) manufacturers have quickly jumped in to to be covered and proclaimed to be among the BEST and to have non-stop coverage in his comparison reviews and as part of his show reports for that top of mind awareness.

And many of these new guys who stepped into his systems didn't really exist in a significant way 10 years ago such as Magico, Consoulation, Soulution, Raidho, etc. And we don't even know of all the other manufacturers that have begged him to review their stuff.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Money $$$ makes the world go round :)
I guess he wasn t happy with nord ost after all , chop chop
.High end brands need to get hyped otherwise you get nowhere .
Look at myself to cheap to spent a $ on advertising:)

Last edited:
Reactions: RussR

caesar

May 30, 2010
Money $$$ makes the world go round :)
I guess he wasn t happy with nord ost after all , chop chop
.High end brands need to get hyped otherwise you get nowhere .
Look at myself to cheap to spent a $ on advertising:)

I like money as much as anyone and will be the first to tell you that capitalism is what takes people out of poverty, raises the standard of living, and allows us to partake in this hobby. Yet capitalism can't exist without ethics and values such as honesty and integrity.

But as far as your case pertaining to marketing, check out a potential starting point for a marketing strategy:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/state-of-the-art-digital.29583/page-12#post-646346

Reactions: knghifi

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tubes can't rock, but can they roll, that is the question.
All depends on speaker choice ..Efficiency and impedance curve / dip .
I ve said it 10000 times what you wanna see is a graph of the impedance related to freq , 20 hz - 20 khz .nominal doesnt tell shit
Plus a honest measured efficiency , i d rather trust the stereophile measurements .
I believe lagonda has the mbl radialstrahlers which are a prime example .
Efficiency of 81 db and a impedance dip to 3.8 ohms which is not too bad actually
To get reasonable dynamics out of such a design is extremely hard and requires enourmous amounts of power .
And even then it will not have the dynamics of a good designed high eff. Speaker .
My listening sessions lately of magico Q 5 only confirmed that
Slow speaker constrained dynamics .

Ps i am aware the radiastrahlers can obviously do things a standard cone cant , im not dismissing anything

Reactions: BMCG

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
All depends on speaker choice ..Efficiency and impedance curve / dip .
I ve said it 10000 times what you wanna see is a graph of the impedance related to freq , 20 hz - 20 khz .nominal doesnt tell shit
Plus a honest measured efficiency , i d rather trust the stereophile measurements .
I believe lagonda has the mbl radialstrahlers which are a prime example .
Efficiency of 81 db and a impedance dip to 3.8 ohms which is not too bad actually
To get reasonable dynamics out of such a design is extremely hard and requires enourmous amounts of power .
And even then it will not have the dynamics of a good designed high eff. Speaker .
My listening sessions lately of magico Q 5 only confirmed that
Slow speaker constrained dynamics .

Ps i am aware the radiastrahlers can obviously do things a standard cone cant , im not dismissing anything
You are right about the MBL’s, they are hard to drive correctly, even a 700 W Krell amp does not do it. A purpose built amp like the MBL 9011 will do the trick very nicely though ;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
You are right about the MBL’s, they are hard to drive correctly, even a 700 W Krell amp does not do it. A purpose built amp like the MBL 9011 will do the trick very nicely though ;)

Yes, hard to find amps with the juice to drive the MBLs. And even if those amps can drive them, tonal balance is off. A lot of people actually use the old Krell KSAs successfully, but it's too dark for my tastes.

Heck, put 4 of those 9011 amps on the MBL 101 and you have near horn-like dynamics.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, hard to find amps with the juice to drive the MBLs. And even if those amps can drive them, tonal balance is off. A lot of people actually use the old Krell KSAs successfully, but it's too dark for my tastes.

Heck, put 4 of those 9011 amps on the MBL 101 and you have near horn-like dynamics.
Yes i hope Santa checks my wish list this year, i need 2 more ;)

Reactions: caesar

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah the P135 is a pretty nice preamp! Haven’t heard that big amp yet though...one of the few from them I didn’t get to hear as it started being made long after I was a KR dealer.

Thee KR 45s took forever to burn in. Cunningham Globes go in for "me" time. Shhhhh people forget I still have my tube stash :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Efficiency of 81 db and a impedance dip to 3.8 ohms which is not too bad actually (...)

Taken isolated these figures can be very misleading. The mbl are omnidirectional speakers and the efficiency measurement is carried in anechoic conditions, far from the reflective environment we have at home. In practice, the "equivalent" efficiency figure is higher. We can't simply compare efficiencies unless the radiation pattern is similar. Long ago I have owned the 101b's and they could be driven to frightening levels with the Levinson Ml 23.5 - and the pair was extremely dynamic IMHO. One of my never accomplished projects was driving the 101b's with one amplifier for each unit using an active crossover! The purity of the treble of these MBL's was exceptional.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Taken isolated these figures can be very misleading. The mbl are omnidirectional speakers and the efficiency measurement is carried in anechoic conditions, far from the reflective environment we have at home. In practice, the "equivalent" efficiency figure is higher. We can't simply compare efficiencies unless the radiation pattern is similar. Long ago I have owned the 101b's and they could be driven to frightening levels with the Levinson Ml 23.5 - and the pair was extremely dynamic IMHO. One of my never accomplished projects was driving the 101b's with one amplifier for each unit using an active crossover! The purity of the treble of these MBL's was exceptional.

always enjoyed MBL 101's. my only quibble seemed to be that they were not happy at moderate SPL's, and needed to be played just slightly louder than my comfort level to get traction. i have never been the one with the remote in my hand in those cases, so likely living with them is different.

easy to understand their attraction.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
always enjoyed MBL 101's. my only quibble seemed to be that they were not happy at moderate SPL's, and needed to be played just slightly louder than my comfort level to get traction. i have never been the one with the remote in my hand in those cases, so likely living with them is different.

In my system they only need to be played at 75 db C to sound good.
Most of my listening is at levels around 80 db C, i rarely play over 85 db. Before i incorporated subwoofer towers 80 db C was a absolute minimum if you wanted decent mid-bass grunt, the melon part of the speaker needs a lot of clean power to be energized, and the passive crossover/12 inch driver in the low bass section is hungry too :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My favorite amplifier for driving the MBL 101E Mk. II is the Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono. I suspect the Lamm hybrid amps would be great also.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Yes, and add to that a metallic "sheen" to the sound that once heard cannot be unheard. So despite their apparent transparency and room filling soundstage they simply have this coloration that I could not live with.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, and add to that a metallic "sheen" to the sound that once heard cannot be unheard. So despite their apparent transparency and room filling soundstage they simply have this coloration that I could not live with.
Yes that’s what happens when i underdrive them with most tube amps, or place them in a to small room ;)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, and add to that a metallic "sheen" to the sound that once heard cannot be unheard. . . .

I agree with this. I think it is an insightful way to describe the sound I hear as well.

I would add that as much as I love much of what MBLs do sonically, and I completely understand why they are many, many people's very favorite speaker of all time, for my ears there is too much lower treble (?) energy. There is a relentlessness to the sound in the upper half of the frequency range that makes it difficult for me to relax.

Reactions: Bobvin and morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes that’s what happens when i underdrive them with most tube amps, or place them in a to small room ;)

This is exactly what happens to Under driven panels as well, with tubes. And you need good SS to get past it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
This is exactly what happens to Under driven panels as well, with tubes. And you need good SS to get past it.
And some people just have to trow tubes at anything indiscriminately :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing