van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Speak of the devil. Look at what the cat has dragged in....

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Speak of the devil. Look at what the cat has dragged in....

Congratulation. You found the one that should be getting. :)

Reactions: bazelio

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
15942497451601761484564.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This doesn't strictly count as experience, but i've ordered a Schroeder LT to complement mine. My Ikeda is too high mass to be ideal, but I'm ameliorating by using a wooden Yamamoto headshell while i wait for my Schroeder.

In the meantime I'm considering purchasing a Schroeder CB.
Love your choice in decks, btw

Schroder LT + vdH might be a very interesting combination, and certainly is worth a try. Please give us a full report in due course!

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Schroder LT + vdH might be a very interesting combination, and certainly is worth a try. Please give us a full report in due course!
Will do Ron:)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I am currently having one of my best experiences in my lifelong audio journey.
I've been mentally composing this post, that i couldn't drag myself away from listening to actually write, for the last couple of hours
My firstest, biggest impressions are how good it sounds straight out of the box, and how forgiving it seems to be of my imperfect setup- a high mass arm, tweaked to reduce the mass, but really just a stopgap- and you would never know. I can hear no setup flaws

For those who prize the natural sound- and I'm nodding at you- David- you will be blissed out.
Even with half a dozen hours on, this is already the most natural sound I've ever experienced. No undue emphasis on any frequency, its all just so right.

Now here's a thing i can't explain. I'm hearing something that i would normally attribute to the turntable; better rhythm
And i find myself in strong agreement with Peter's observation that there is more information retrieval, every track I've played I'm hearing instruments lines i had never noticed before, and the full bandwidth of those that were already thete, all contributing to the the natural flow.

Ahhh goody, natural flow..speaking of, I'm going to play Zero 7 right now.
Dinner's long cold, who cares,
and thank god for being a bachelor

I have to hear my entire record collection, right now

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Speaking of what the cat dragged in—I know this is a VdH thread, so forgive this slight derail, but we are talking peak of the cartridge mountain, yes?

Since I went down a light detour almost buying an Ypsilon phono stage, only to learn it was going to be very difficult to match my Benz LPS with it, I listened to the advice of many who said I might get more improvement stepping up into the world of the best cartridges. Then I heard the Etsuro Gold @ Mike Lavigne's place before the Wuhan came knocking. Ever since I've been scouring the world to see if I couldn't perhaps find a lightly used one. Its been months, but I finally found one. I'll wag on about it in another thread once I have a little time with it.

I am timid about setting up such a delicate piece of audio jewelry, hopefully getting started this evening.

etsuro_gold(sm).jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled VdH tongue-wagging.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Speaking of what the cat dragged in—I know this is a VdH thread, so forgive this slight derail, but we are talking peak of the cartridge mountain, yes?

Since I went down a light detour almost buying an Ypsilon phono stage, only to learn it was going to be very difficult to match my Benz LPS with it, I listened to the advice of many who said I might get more improvement stepping up into the world of the best cartridges. Then I heard the Etsuro Gold @ Mike Lavigne's place before the Wuhan came knocking. Ever since I've been scouring the world to see if I couldn't perhaps find a lightly used one. Its been months, but I finally found one. I'll wag on about it in another thread once I have a little time with it.

I am timid about setting up such a delicate piece of audio jewelry, hopefully getting started this evening.

Now back to your regularly scheduled VdH tongue-wagging.

wow Bob, you found one! :) really beautiful! congrats!

i anxiously look forward to hearing about your first impressions.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Edit: Thanks Tang, I didn't realize they were friendly teasing us. Perhaps the Etsuro Gold cartridge deserves its own thread as there is little discussion about it on WBF outside of Mike's experience.

Congratulations Bob on finding a used one. I look forward to reading more about it once you have it set up and playing.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@howiebrou . Your itch must be beyond control now. :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You guys just start your own thread about that cartridge.
They were only friendly teasing us Peter.

My "Mono Replay" 5R just arrived too.

591AD5CE-33DC-4149-98D1-768BB45A218D.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Whether it is a Gran Cru, the Master Sig or the 5Rs, the tracking force is best going on the low side once pass a few hundred hrs. Put on higher tracking force and their magic on high, lightning quick transient and hologram ness will diminish. The point is don't try to tame it. If you hear the signature of these carts as not natural just dont buy it. It is also best to have a second arm/cart that you can rely on in case the sound of your vdh setup go wrong somehow. (It can happen if you play and use it much enough.:)) I use my Opus1 setup as a bench mark. If one day I feel listening to my Master Sig does not give me that special "sensation" or a preference over the Opus1, I will know my MS does not do its job properly. A few times already, my tracking force slipped somehow. The sound of vdh will vary from one to another within the same model same materials. But the signature is always there.

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
Hello everybody ,
I will get my VDH next week. What resistance do you use to close the cartrige? 100 Ohm? Is there any experience with Transformers?

Joseph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Can i borrow that cat ?;)
Remember what happened last time you got caught “borrowing?” cats Milan :rolleyes:

I thought you’d swore all that stuff off? ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
With my last VDh Colibri Master Signature Stradivarius, I found a mild negative ( est. 2 degree) VTA was decidely preferable over a straight parallel armtube during play which on certain recordings could sound a bit tipped up on top. I realize these are hand made and therefore a certain degree of variations exist between models. I will be curious if this will be the case with the Grand Cru.

More decisive could be which foot left or right that Mr.Van den Hul first set on the floor at time of getting out of bed in the morning before he starts crafting his cartridge. That will determine +/- degree vta of the cart made that day. :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing