Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello all. Just checking - been making a lot of progress with the bass horns as previously discussed. One of the main internal “arches” or the main “fold” has slowed me down because I ended up deciding to go the painful direction of making in solid wood by laminating horizontally - obviously this is for me the ultimate approach because it is much more rigid and with more mass. The structure below depicts this in process - trim router will be applied to the “master” now so the overall structure is perfectly smooth and accurate. After that supporting internal tenons will hold it and prevent it from moving. The clamps are just to prevent it moving over night which I doubt it will but belts and braces are always sensible. Hard to get the size, which is why it is on this seat. It is 420mm wide and 600mm deep. As orientation, this will be the roof of tbe

View attachment 98347

Anyway - on other news this will be my last post on WBF. I have really enjoyed my time here over the years and will miss the camaraderie for sure. I might start my own blog if I find some time where doubtless and crazy musings or creations will be posted. If anyone wants to stay in touch, am sure Ked or Marc would share my private email. For obvious reasons I won’t post it on the thread.

Still looking forward to reading Ked’s report on Mike’s latest updates.

All the very best!
Wow Bill…speechless…o_O

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hello all. Just checking - been making a lot of progress with the bass horns as previously discussed. One of the main internal “arches” or the main “fold” has slowed me down because I ended up deciding to go the painful direction of making in solid wood by laminating horizontally - obviously this is for me the ultimate approach because it is much more rigid and with more mass. The structure below depicts this in process - trim router will be applied to the “master” now so the overall structure is perfectly smooth and accurate. After that supporting internal tenons will hold it and prevent it from moving. The clamps are just to prevent it moving over night which I doubt it will but belts and braces are always sensible. Hard to get the size, which is why it is on this seat. It is 420mm wide and 600mm deep. As orientation, this will be the roof of tbe

View attachment 98347

Anyway - on other news this will be my last post on WBF. I have really enjoyed my time here over the years and will miss the camaraderie for sure. I might start my own blog if I find some time where doubtless and crazy musings or creations will be posted. If anyone wants to stay in touch, am sure Ked or Marc would share my private email. For obvious reasons I won’t post it on the thread.

Still looking forward to reading Ked’s report on Mike’s latest updates.

All the very best!

Very sorry to hear this Bill! I will definitely miss your contributions.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Bill,
It would be a shame to lose you, is it because of the Fleetwood Sound exchanges?

david

Wow, just read that thread - talk about a train wreck! Bill was just trying to be friendly and inquisitive.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Bill

I really hope you reconsider your decision to leave here :eek:
I always loved your postings a LOT and would severely miss them :(
So much to learn and to discuss.
One doesn't have to get along with everyone, there are threads I don't frequent and there is always the "ignore" function on the forum software ;)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I don't know what happened that led you to decide to leave but it makes me sorry. I will miss you and your insights based upon your trials for sure.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi Bill,
It would be a shame to lose you, is it because of the Fleetwood Sound exchanges?

david
Don’t leave Bill. Just Ignore Jonathan Weiss (like many have!). I will refrain from sharing my view of his personality. I will only say that he got his ideas from the DIY community, yet now calls them his own. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know and he is far from a pleasure to deal with, even as a potential customer.
Just add him to your Ignore list!

Jonathan could give away his big horns and I still wouldn’t take them. BTW, I heard tons of distortion during his (carefully curated) demo of the Imperia. He was oblivious to it. It was probably from his amp.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Anyway - on other news this will be my last post on WBF. (...)

Bill, surely we agreed and disagreed a lot on posts, but I sincerely hope that you can reconsider your decision. You are a valuable contributor to this forum and WBF needs your passion and enthusiasm.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Audiophile Bill. Maternity leave? :D

We can do PM sharing our audio findings then.

Bests,
Tang

Reactions: Rob181 and bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@Audiophile Bill. Maternity leave? :D

We can do PM sharing our audio findings then.

Bests,
Tang
Nice for you, Tang, but I'm also VERY interested in such conversations ;)

And I'm pretty confident that a lot of other members here feel the same as I do :oops:

oeno

Jun 7, 2014

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Nice for you, Tang, but I'm also VERY interested in such conversations ;)

And I'm pretty confident that a lot of other members here feel the same as I do :oops:
I rarely post but follow threads that interest me and my care abouts
I am one of those members that will miss both the contributions and overwhelmingly constructive disposition of Audiophile.Bill

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
NOOO BILL!

This thread has been such an informative joy to read. My favorite in the forum. It pains me that we won't get to see the rest of the journey.

Perhaps a middle ground is to quit posting, EXCEPT in this thread??

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’d like to selfishly add that I also hope Bill returns at some point. Bill kindly shared resources that put me on the path to start understanding good open baffle design and has given me a fantastic direction in my next horn OB speaker. Bill has helped me immeasurably. Bill shares his experience and his considerable understanding and that is exactly what makes a forum like this a potentially great place.

As a person who teaches design it’s pretty easy to see the rubbish that passes for design quite often in our hobby. It’s a boutique industry where every untrained cowboy seems to think they know what good design looks like. Bill’s instinct for design and his integrity in only ever using the crazily best quality parts and absolute best in bespoke practices has always shone through. There’s a lot of expensive gear out there with cheap parts masquerading as state of the art. Lord help us we are lambs to the slaughter if we don’t insist on appropriately high bills of quantity in this hobby… or in our case supporting in the Bills of quality.

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
It certainly looks like Bill has gone, as there are no longer the option to start a conversation" with him.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Damnit, Bill, how will I learn the conclusion of the saga of your exciting DIY horns if you quit posting on What's Best. I beg you to reconsider for my sake.
For our all sake :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing