• Mitt Romney

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a no brainer. Throw in euthanasia, legalized prostitution and gay marriage and you almost feel like you live in the land of the free.

I believe the majority of Americans supports legalizing marijuana.

Gay marriage is already here and prostitution is legal in certain counties of Nevada. We can argue if euthanasia already exists in this country as well. Hospice is alive and well even if the patients aren't.

That would not work here, American culture is very different from Europe , there's a serious runaway self destruct mentality here, legalize drugs and the plebs are goners ..

Regards,

It is little more complex than that. First, the #1 drug addition problem and cause of drug related deaths are prescription drugs, the drug of choice of affluent suburbanites. Second, there are hordes of coke snorting wallstreet traders and other highfliers. Third, legalizing marijuana will not hurt anyone, but get rid of an entire criminal industry. Whether legalizing crack cocaine is a good idea, I'm not sure (I'm leaning towards yes), but this is not legal in the Netherlands either.

Gentlemen, can we please stay on topic?

Tom

Obama and Romney Deadlocked, Poll Shows

By NEIL KING JR.

President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney enter the final sprint before Election Day essentially deadlocked nationally in what looks set to be one of the closest presidential elections in U.S. history.

A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll of likely voters finds Mr. Obama leading his rival by a nose, 48% to 47%, as the two men crisscross the country to rally supporters in the states most likely to decide the outcome.

Final polls in many of those states, from Virginia and Ohio to New Hampshire, Colorado and Wisconsin, also find the race too close to call.

The two candidates enter the final stage with firm advantages they had from the start. Mr. Obama derives his tiny lead by holding a slightly larger base of support, 51% to 43%, among women voters than Mr. Romney has among men, the poll finds.

The former Massachusetts governor has the support of 51% of men, compared to 44% who back the president.

The poll of 1,475 likely voters across the country has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.55 percentage points.

The candidates are packing their final Sunday before the vote with events across the country. Mr. Obama begins the day in New Hampshire before jumping to Florida, Ohio and Colorado. Mr. Romney will kick off his day in Iowa before hopping to Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

With state polls continuing to show Mr. Romney lagging behind in the critical state of Ohio, his campaign is making a concerted, last-minute push to try to seize Pennsylvania, a win that would scramble the electoral map and negate a potential loss by the GOP nominee in Ohio.

A running average of all national polls maintained by Real Clear Politics now has the two men within 0.2% of one another. The average doesn't include the new Journal poll.

In the similarly down-to-the-wire 2004 clash between President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry, Mr. Bush actually entered the final stretch with a lead slightly above 2%—comfortable, by the look of this year's election.

President Obama got high marks in the poll for his handling of the aftermath of Sandy, the storm that lashed the Northeast last week. Nearly seven in 10 voters approved of how he dealt with Sandy, compared to 15% who disapproved. His approval was higher, 75%, among voters in the Northeast.

Obama seems to have early voter lead in key states

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, AP

Ohio

About 1.3 million people have voted, and 29 percent were Democrats and 23 percent were Republicans. Forty-seven percent were unaffiliated, more than enough voters to swing the state to either candidate.
Ohio is everything in this election.

The results of this site's poll is interesting. I'm assuming mostly affluent white males are audiophiles, or at least those who appreciate the finer things in life (music/art/cultural things), have some higher education and disposable income. Based on income factors alone, this/our poll should have favored Romney, not Obama. I can tell you that in a vintage Porsche parts forum I post at, a similar poll was overwhelmingly weighted towards Romney.

I'll venture to speculate that the typical audiophile is not equal to the typical vintage Porsche owner, with respect to having a shared value system.

Whereas a greater majority of the vintage the Porsche owners maybe more testosterone driven, the greater majority of the audiophiles are passion driven with a great affinity for being comfortable with the emotional responses great music can evoke. Having been in touch with our feelings and therefore other emotions such as empathy, as a whole we audiophiles may be more Liberal and less Conservative.

It's just a theory.

Article which touches on the topic.

Election 2012: What are white guys afraid of?
Washington Times Communities
http://communities.washingtontimes....v/2/election-2012-what-are-white-guys-afraid/
So is it any wonder that 65% of white men are voting for Mitt Romney to only 32% for Obama.

I'll venture to speculate that the typical audiophile is not equal to the typical vintage Porsche owner, with respect to having a shared value system.

Where's Rockitman to set that one straight ;)

Any opinion on how the markets will react the day after?

As far as the election is transparent and open (no hints of the contrary) nothing devastating would happen.

Where's Rockitman to set that one straight ;)

I'm no Rockitman, but I would think the more effete, emotional, in touch with music and arts kinda guy would definitely be voting for the "0" based on Kach 222i's description. There's also geography and other demographics to consider. When i spent a lot of time on the car forums, a heck of a lot of the guys were from Tx. (No guesses on where they come out). Also, the "0" is loved in countries outside of the US and we have had some non-US voters in this straw poll, unlike real voting. (I'll disregard issues over campaign finance from non-US sources :)). And finally, white and male can =R; white, male, educated and liberallly inclined (think as a protomodel, upper west side jewish aclu, planned parenthood lawyer for a living type) definitely= 0.
If we are making generalizations.

Any opinion on how the markets will react the day after?

John

I have been waiting for the market to react in a favorable way as it typically does in the lead up to a general election. This just hasn't happened, so yes it will be interesting to see what happens the next few days after the election regardless of the winner

For the record....I have NOT voted on this poll. Wouldn't be right as a Canadian and would skew the result ever so slightly.

Whereas a greater majority of the vintage the Porsche owners maybe more testosterone driven, the greater majority of the audiophiles are passion driven with a great affinity for being comfortable with the emotional responses great music can evoke. Having been in touch with our feelings and therefore other emotions such as empathy, as a whole we audiophiles may be more Liberal and less Conservative.

It's just a theory.

Article which touches on the topic.

Election 2012: What are white guys afraid of?
Washington Times Communities
http://communities.washingtontimes....v/2/election-2012-what-are-white-guys-afraid/

Kach221, what's your definition of a vintage Porsche....356 or old 911? If it's 356, I know where I fall;);)

Modest Market Losses May Follow Presidential Election

Here you go John...

By Bernice Napach | Daily Ticker

The race for The White House remains incredibly tight ahead of Tuesday's presidential election.
The latest New York Times/CBS News poll has Obama leading Romney among likely voters 48% to 47%. The ABC/Washington Post puts the odds at 49% to 48% favoring Obama and Real Clear Politics, which averages all the major national polls, shows a virtual tie between the candidates: 47.4%vs. 47.3% favoring Obama.
Although Obama is ahead in all these polls, the spread is so narrow that his lead is virtually meaningless. Either candidate has a very good chance of winning.
Jeff Kleintop chief market strategist at LPL Financial, has developed his own poll, focusing on which candidate the stock market is favoring from week to week. His "Wall Street" election poll tracks the market performance of Republican-favored industries such as financial services vs. Democrat-favored industries like health care.

Kleintop's latest weekly poll as of Wednesday finds a "modest further move toward Republican-favored industries" which began after the first Presidential debate.
Democrat-favored industries such as homebuilders, construction materials and health care services suffered losses, while the Republican-favored oil exploration and production industry posted the biggest gain for the week.
Kleintop reminds readers, however, that this is an abbreviated trading week since the market was closed Monday and Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy and stocks have moved modestly as a result.

Today stocks opened higher today following a stronger than expected jobs report which showed payrolls growing by 171,000 in October—far more than the 125,000 expected—along with upward revisions for payrolls in August and September. The unemployment rate inched up to 7.9% from 7.8%. As of 10am the Dow (^DJI) was up 18 points to 13,215 and the S&P 500 (^GSPC) up 0.67 to 1,427.
No matter who wins the election, Kleintop expects it will followed by a "divisive and bitter lame duck session" focused on dealing with the approaching tax increases and spending cuts known as the fiscal cliff.
"The negotiations themselves, coming on the heels of hard-fought election battles, can drive wide market swings and result in modest losses," Kleintop writes in his weekly market commentary.
In the lame duck sessions during the presidential election years of 1980, 2000 and 2004, stock losses range from less than 1% to nearly 4%, says Kleintop.

Thanks Steve!

Another question...and I ask this simply because I find politics fascinating, and do not know nearly enough as I probably should with regards to the U.S. election.

I understand that Romney is more of a left-leaning Republican...am I correct in that assumption? I can't figure out where Obama's lean is within his party. If I had to guess I would say he's a centrist. Thoughts?

Kach221, what's your definition of a vintage Porsche....356 or old 911? If it's 356, I know where I fall;);)
Anything air/oil cooled is vintage in my book.

Based on my experience in a Mustang forum about ten years ago, I'd say it is even more testosterone driven in those forums (the sound of knuckles dragging is deafening). Even the occasional female attention whore posting seemed to be sporting a pair of nads under her skirt.

As far as Internet based opinions, I'd say it gives voice to many outspoken minorities beyond the typical 2-party kind. Libertarians and fans of Ron Paul on-line have quite the presence and leave quite the footprint and they stomp around in an attempt to be heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu