WBF Poll: Which Sounds Better, Digital or Analog?

Which format sounds best to you: analog or digital

• Analog Sounds Best

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • Digital Sounds Best

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Both, depends so much upon the recording/ mastering, I am amazed how good vinyl can sound despite its technical limitations.
Keith.

You actually heard a difference between two things ??

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
In Marty's system the Analog through DSP slams the digital through DSP. And his Analog isn't expensive.

I don't doubt it. I think there's something very pleasant about vinyl and I don't think we've discovered what it is. If you look at what I said though, I said "unadulterated vinyl." :) Marty's vinyl to DSP setup is probably in a different league than the way vinyl is typically done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is important to differentiate between what you prefer and what might be technically more accurate, one piece of equipment IMHO, rarely 'beats', 'slams' or 'blows into the weeds' another unit , sometimes there are differences.
Keith

keith - When I say better, it means more soundstage, better slam, more dynamics and better texture and tonality, as opposed to I prefer the warm sound to the neutral one. Regarding accurate, one is analog, how it was recorded and played back in, the other is artificially recorded. So not sure what you mean by technically accurate.

I don't doubt it. I think there's something very pleasant about vinyl and I don't think we've discovered what it is. If you look at what I said though, I said "unadulterated vinyl." :) Marty's vinyl to DSP setup is probably in a different league than the way vinyl is typically done.

Michael - Marty's vinyl system is in quite a humble league. The Goldman studio (not reference) is available used 3 - 4k. He has it on a vibraplane. His source set up by wallet big forum standards is quite humble, both in digital and analog terms

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The question is not what's better, but which sounds better to you, irrespective of a formats limitations or the expenditure made. Seems a simple question.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
1) reel to reel tape, 2) reel to reel tape, 3) reel to reel tape.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You guys think and analyse too much. Whether it's the best of the best or my own system, I feel that analog is much more engaging and thereby more enjoyable to these ears than digital.

'Engaging' is quite subjective. I have a CD transport/DAC combo that sounds very lively and dramatic, with great separation of musical strands, and I find digital in my system just as engaging as analog on others. I do find analog more resolving, especially in timbral detail, and I find its tonality more corresponding to that of (unamplified) live music (again, only under the best circumstances, on the very best pressings of great recordings, spun on some of the best turntables).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What category does high-resolution digitized vinyl fall into?

Like a margarine that purports to taste like butter.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
'Engaging' is quite subjective. I have a CD transport/DAC combo that sounds very lively and dramatic, with great separation of musical strands, and I find digital in my system just as engaging as analog on others. I do find analog more resolving, especially in timbral detail, and I find its tonality more corresponding to that of (unamplified) live music (again, only under the best circumstances, on the very best pressings of great recordings, spun on some of the best turntables).

Of course it's subjective....the question is subjective. I don't understand the need to pad answers with qualifiers.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
In Marty's system the Analog through DSP slams the digital through DSP. And his Analog isn't expensive.

Bonzo

You realize that in Marty's case you go through a Analog to Digital followed by a Digital to anlaog conversion? That you are actually listening to a Digital Source ... I

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo

You realize that in Marty's case you go through a Analog to Digital followed by a Digital to anlaog conversion? That you are actually listening to a Digital Source ... I

Yes. Which sounds much better than his digital source

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I need to come back to your house to make that 673 to 1. :D I think we only played analog when I was there. Or wait. Is that what you did for the other 673??? :D :D

you have to stay longer than 30 minutes this time. we always start with digital, and play any digital references that a visitor might have brought to give them a reference. once we start the analog it's rare to even go back to digital unless it's brief A/B.

and bring your own digital if you like. my analog will take on all comers. ask Steve, Marty and Russ.

and I listen to plenty of great digital, and love it.

but this thread is about which sounds better.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
In the end, isn't it what it's all about?

It's silly and sad, but it seems like 80% of the arguments in this hobby are about taste.

I agree. And the other rather sad thing is that many believe you must have SOTA to truly enjoy it. It's not said in those words, but it's often implied.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing