What are members recommendations on current turntables in the $15K to $22K price range?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
makes sense Lee. here you go.

if i was buying a tt in that price range it would be the CS Port TAT2. i own the CS Port LFT1........and i am amazed by the build quality and the belt drive, air bearing/ air film approach. it brings a delicacy and humanity to the presentation that i can't get enough of. very special sounding.

the TAT2 uses the same technology. one piece plinth and less hefty platter. it does not hurt that CS Port gear is audio art of the highest order.

you do need the POU2 Silent Air Supply (sold separately).......which is really quiet. as in put your ear against and can't hear quiet.

View attachment 82325

Isn’t this way out of his price range (in the US)? This is one table I’m interested in too but not at the enormous US markup.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

if i was buying a tt in that price range it would be the CS Port TAT2. i own the CS Port LFT1........and i am amazed by the build quality and the belt (aramid thread) drive, air bearing/ air film and non-servo motor approach. it brings a delicacy and humanity to the presentation that i can't get enough of. very special sounding.

the TAT2 uses the same technology. but with a one piece plinth and less hefty (but still 17kg--35lb) platter. it does not hurt that CS Port gear is audio art of the highest order. it's 'zen' aesthetic appeals to me.

you do need the POU2 Silent Air Supply (sold separately).......which is really quiet. as in put your ear against and can't hear quiet.

View attachment 82325
Very interesting. I will look into it.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Isn’t this way out of his price range (in the US)? This is one table I’m interested in too but not at the enormous US markup.

there is no USA distribution or dealers yet for CS Port. there is a 'new' North America distributor in Montreal, Canada but i don't know their price for this model. please post the list price if you know it.

Reactions: Lee

djsina2

May 30, 2019
there is no USA distribution or dealers yet for CS Port. there is a 'new' North America distributor in Montreal, Canada but i don't know their price for this model. please post the list price if you know it.
That’s correct. I was basing my price guess off Ana Mighty Sound in France. Usually the EU prices are lower than the US.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my all out Garrad 301 for sale
about USD 9K + freight

• Love
Reactions: christoph

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

if i was buying a tt in that price range it would be the CS Port TAT2. i own the CS Port LFT1........and i am amazed by the build quality and the belt (aramid thread) drive, air bearing/ air film and non-servo motor approach. it brings a delicacy and humanity to the presentation that i can't get enough of. very special sounding.

the TAT2 uses the same technology. but with a one piece plinth and less hefty (but still 17kg--35lb) platter. it does not hurt that CS Port gear is audio art of the highest order. it's 'zen' aesthetic appeals to me.

View attachment 82325
very nice turntable.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That’s correct. I was basing my price guess off Ana Mighty Sound in France. Usually the EU prices are lower than the US.
their TAT2 price of 27,300 Euro's does include the air pump and arm board. it would my choice in a heartbeat. i realize at $30k USD List price (projected) it's above the range by a third. it's sound has much in common with my LFT1 at a 55,800 Euro list price......which i see (the LFT1) as a bargain.

none of these inexpensive for sure, but much value also.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
although a bit over budget I can recommend Brinkmann Balance (Motor is separated from the plinth and arm base), also company tonearms are considered very good.
Since i also have experience with Brinkmann DD turntable i can also recommend the company Tauros turntable

AVID Acutus SP, SME15/20, Kuzma Stabi M, J.Sikora Standard MAX are all in your reach and are great options.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
their TAT2 price of 27,300 Euro's does include the air pump and arm board. it would my choice in a heartbeat. i realize at $30k USD List price (projected) it's above the range by a third. it's sound has much in common with my LFT1 at a 55,800 Euro list price......which i see (the LFT1) as a bargain.
Or go used and buy this for the same price.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Or go used and buy this for the same price.

sounds like that's what you should buy. :) agree that will be a good buy for someone. and that one even includes the granite base platform i did not buy since my rack has a granite top shelf already. pictures look good to me.

i can tell you this turntable is not trivial to pack up or ship. the plinth weighs 100 pounds and is a solid piece of granite; it tends to overwhelm it's container. the platter is 60 pounds of stainless steel. the whole thing comes in 5 boxes all contained inside a very large box. i would expect a careful seller to pack it properly.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
sounds like that's what you should buy. :) agree that will be a good buy for someone.

i can tell you this turntable is not trivial to pack up or ship. the plinth weighs 100 pounds and is a solid piece of granite; it tends to overwhelm it's container. the platter is 60 pounds of stainless steel. the whole thing comes in 5 boxes all contained inside a very large box. i would expect a careful seller to pack it properly.
I would actually prefer the smaller and simpler TAT2. Looks like they have all the factory packaging so shipping should be fine. The Japanese know how to pack things.

Is your CSPort universal voltage?

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi dan31

Unfortunately, Spiral Groove is shut down for now and I was told Alan Perkins is looking for investors to get things back up and running again. I was sad to find that out as I’m a big fan. I personally think he’s a very talented designer. His Centroid tonearm was also supposed to be a great sounding arm.

TechDas’s entry level table, the Air Force V sells for $19,995.00 and is supposed to be a great sounding table. At that price, you still would need to buy a tonearm.

You might want to look at the VPI HW-40 direct drive turntable. The table includes their “Fatboy” gimbaled tonearm. Unfortunately, they just raised the retail price to $20K. Fremer and Kessler both loved that combo along with many other reviewers. It’s supposed to have incredible speed stability.

I was also very impressed with the NEO line of Acoustic Signature tables from Germany. They have a model called the Typhoon that sells for $15,650.00 (without tonearm) that looked really nice. Good luck with whatever you choose. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: Lee

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would actually prefer the smaller and simpler TAT2. Looks like they have all the factory packaging so shipping should be fine. The Japanese know how to pack things.

Is your CSPort universal voltage?
as far as i can tell, yes, it's universal voltage. there is a plate on the back of the plinth showing all voltages and 50/60 hz. the only thing plugged in is the motor chassis. the air box has a power cable to the motor box. the unit for sale has that same plate on the back of the plinth.

my unit was briefly used in the UK by the dealer before i got it and originally my unit was intended for the UK market. so i guess it's safe to say yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsina2

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Lee If the CS Port is in the budget, having heard Mike's briefly, I would +1 that choice!

If another lower-cost option is of interest I will point out that the STST Motus IIDQ, made in a finish of your choice, with a $5-$6k tonearm will still be under $15k. A really musical DD. Caveat: I represent this line in NA.

Its wonderful that there are so many good choices in this range!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
@Lee, If the CS Port is in the budget, having heard Mike's briefly, I would +1 that choice!
+2. Hell, if it weren't for the fact I've invested in all this new gear, I'd be jumping all over that LFT1. I can say I've heard Mike's a little more than briefly, and have been trying to figure how to get one of my own.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Parabolica looks very good. Do I need to buy a Triplanar arm to go with it or is that included?

Ideally I am trying to stay in the stated budget for both table and arm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing