What are the Covers You Like Better than the Original?

KevinO

Dec 26, 2018
Shinedown - covering Simple Man - by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Keb Mo, “ The Times They are a Changing”
This Mortal Coil “ Song to the Siren”
This Mortal Coil “ At Every Door”
Pat Metheny/ Charlie Haden “ The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”
Judy Collins “ Both Sides Now”

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Maybe it’s already been pointed out that virtually all of the jazz recorded in the 50s, 60s , 70s, and on up to today in many cases, are covers.

I like Melody Gardot because much of her body of work is original. But she’s also done some great covers.

Mingus wrote a lot of stuff, as did Dizzy Gillespie, but both also gave us great reinterpretations of the compositions of others.

Where would Jack Wilkins or David Hazeltine fit in if it weren’t for covers.

Right now I’m listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. All covers. All setting a wonderful mood here in my listening room.

One other thought. During COVID, Chrissie Hynde put together a GREAT album of Bob Dylan covers. The album is Standing in the Doorway.

More great Bob Dylan (and other) covers from the early Byrds albums.

Every performer brings their own touch, and great music often shines through different great musicians. Nearly all classical orchestral music is covers spanning literally hundreds of years.

Three cheers for timeless music that refreshes us through the lips and hands of so many gifted artists.

Reactions: Al M.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Speaking of Chrissie Hynde, the original is great, this one is different, and I like to listen to both:

On the wikipedia page of the song, Hynde is quoted (from liner notes) as stating:

"Like all the other London punks, I wanted to do reggae, and I wrote "Private Life". When I first heard Grace's version I thought 'Now that's how it's supposed to sound!' In fact it was one of the high points of my career – what with Sly and Robbie being the masters, and Grace Jones with her scorching delivery. Someone told me it was Chris Blackwell's idea – thanks Chris!"

So Chrissie Hynde liked the cover better than her original!

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and jazdoc

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Hendrix's epic version of this Dylan song:

Bob Dylan liked Hendrix's version better than his own:

Hendrix was a great fan of Dylan. So the two of them had great respect for each other, as they should!

Last edited:
Reactions: cjf and jazdoc

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but Jennifer Warnes covers of Leonard Cohen beat Leonard’s versions for many people.

And how many Jobim covers are there? There must be dozens of versions of The Girl from Ipanema, for example. Who even remembers who recorded it first without resorting to Google?

The failure of covers says to me that the original artist interpreted their own composition better than those who followed, but this may say as much about the artist covering as it does about the music.

Maybe someone could start a parallel thread on covers that did not work well compared to the original? I would venture a guess that there are more well known good covers than bad, the bad having been dismissed on their release.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
And sometimes it’s hard to know what’s a cover when it presents as an original, but isn’t.

An example is https://www.elvis-atouchofgold.com/... have been exactly,Darby claimed back in 1956.

I have heard this before about EP’s business manager. A famous female country music diva tells a story about Colonel Parker negotiating for Elvis to cover one of her songs, and as the deal was done, springing paperwork on her to share the writing credit with Elvis. She said no, and Elvis never covered her song.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
The Damned's version of Eloise

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original by Gladys Knight & the Pips. Definitive version by Marvin Gaye

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original Jack Lee/The Nerves

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Original Leonard Cohen

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
When you think about it, aren’t all classical recordings covers of the original?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing