What are the pros & cons of high-efficiency horns?

What drivers are you guys using on your mid bass right now and what have you tried on your journey?
Supravox 215-2000...in phase III might consider other options but at 99 dB it’s about the smoothest one out there with this kind of sensitivity and it is still not AER money.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
703 also have a deviating radiation pattern compared to JMLC, so I wouldn´t mix them
when I refer to JMLC I have the full rollback version in mind
excellent aerodynamics and smoothes horns I´ve heard

Can you show a pic of what you mean by. roll back, is that what prevents it from beaming?

This is what I heard with Bjorn's driver, it was a JMLC from Hans Steffen, had a similar roll back

correct and very effective
we´re talking aerodynamics
it let´s the airflow better off the outer edge of the hornmouth
I don’t think the air velocity at the mouth is very high so to me it is less about airflow turbulence and simply more about sound waves diffracting off of a sharp termination.

So when would you use an Iwata or a tad radial horn for a TAD driver

This is a great thread. Moral of the story is, keep away from Marchand and you will do well DIYing

This is a great thread. Moral of the story is, keep away from Marchand and you will do well DIYing

No the moral of the story is that nothing is perfect and there is no such an absolutist thing as What's Best in audio. Before I landed with Iwata i bought plastic round horns ,had wood round horns turned, i bought more fancy plastic round horns with Mick Jagger lips. I had a pair of something made that would not be out of place in a Dali painting. I absolutely hated the sound and was ready to walk away back to my Tympanis.

Carolus here persuaded me to have an Iwata made. The square one, that is the one so derided above. Before even hooking it up, my wife spoke through it. That was it. That was my horn. You heard Carolus's didn't you?

No the moral of the story is that nothing is perfect and there is no such an absolutist thing as What's Best in audio. Before I landed with Iwata i bought plastic round horns ,had wood round horns turned, i bought more fancy plastic round horns with Mick Jagger lips. I had a pair of something made that would not be out of place in a Dali painting. I absolutely hated the sound and was ready to walk away back to my Tympanis.

Carolus here persuaded me to have an Iwata made. The square one, that is the one so derided above. Before even hooking it up, my wife spoke through it. That was it. That was my horn. You heard Carolus's didn't you?

I loved Carolus system.

The Marchand comment was aimed at micro for leaving DIY over the Marchand advise

"Also simple crossovers and simplicity works better than complexity though surely there can be a 1 in a 1000 case where all 6 ways come together to produce great sound. More likely it fails "

Hello bonzo75

That is not necessarily the case. How do you define a simple crossover?? Part count?? Order?? In my mind it's the minimum part count required to reach the design goals. It depends on many factors one of the most important being the type of horn and the individual drivers used in the system. CD horns require a compensation network to flatten the response where an exponential does not as an example. That compensation network adds complexity but is absolutely necessary. Part count is not what determines the transparency of a network its good design that counts.

Rob :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing