What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Developed such a fondness for this recording I plan to seek out remainder the high quality releases of Doráti's compositions.

Folder.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
One of the happiest "Trout".

Reactions: CKKeung

rando

Sep 22, 2019
By end of second disc you can almost forgive attempt to bring her instrument into the dance club.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
For a quiet Saturday afternoon :

20210227_144157~2.jpg
20210227_144457~2.jpg

Reactions: Bachtoven and rando

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
When Chris Martin left as the principal trumpet player of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to become the principal trumpet of the NY Philharmonic, many thought the CSO would suffer. The CSO has a long history of spectacular trumpet players including the legendary Bud Herseth (1948-2001!!).

Well, here is their new principal trumpet player, Esteban Batallan. The real surprise is that his former job was the principal trumpet of the Hong Kong Philharmonic rather than a player from one of the world's more famous orchestras as you might expect. I'm looking forward to when the CSO performs again so I can hear him live. (Same for the NY Phil and Carnegie Hall concerts)

Reactions: rando and CKKeung

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Curtis Institue of Music bookmark lead me towards a faculty recital of Mendelssohn's Trio No. 2 in C minor in late July 2019. Afterwards I decided to check out the pianist a bit further, Natalie Zhu. Below is a private recording from 2004 of Hilary Hahn and Natalie Zhu recently uploaded by SoundProfessional Boston.

Mozart Sonata for Violin and Piano in F Major, K. 376
Bach Sonata No. 3 for Solo Violin in C Major, BWV 1005
Faure Sonata No. 1 for Violin and Piano in A Major, Op. 13
Bach Sicilliano from Flute Sonata BWV 1031

hols

Jan 14, 2020
Hong Kong
When Chris Martin left as the principal trumpet player of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to become the principal trumpet of the NY Philharmonic, many thought the CSO would suffer. The CSO has a long history of spectacular trumpet players including the legendary Bud Herseth (1948-2001!!).

Well, here is their new principal trumpet player, Esteban Batallan. The real surprise is that his former job was the principal trumpet of the Hong Kong Philharmonic rather than a player from one of the world's more famous orchestras as you might expect. I'm looking forward to when the CSO performs again so I can hear him live. (Same for the NY Phil and Carnegie Hall concerts)

This is a very small world. It happens that Jaap van Zweden is the Music Director of both NY Philharmonic and the Hong Kong Philharmonic.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
This is a very small world. It happens that Jaap van Zweden is the Music Director of both NY Philharmonic and the Hong Kong Philharmonic.
And even smaller....
Before Jaap was appointed to the NY Phil, he was the conductor and music director of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, where I had season tix from 2003-2009, so now I get to hear him again in NYC! I think he's quite good, especially as a Mahlerite! (His M1 is possibly the best I've heard- an especially clear reading.)

wiggen

Mar 3, 2021
Hello! Tonight, I have been listening to Beehoven's symphony no. 5 conducted by Furtwangler, recorded 1954.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Gilels is one of my favourite pianist masters.
Nice 2-sacd reissue bcos the no2 &3 piano concertos are uncommon.

20210307_160614~2.jpg 20210307_160854~2.jpg

Reactions: Bachtoven

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Binaural DSD128. This is the first recording I've by the quartet, and they are wonderful players. The audio quality is very realistic...I feel as if I'm in the room with them!

1615393357965.png

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Have they recorded anything lately?

To all outside appearances the narrow window of chance you appeared to be opening is still firmly clasped shut.

Someone could always reach out to confirm the unlikely didn't transpire through Polyhymnia. I suspect you might have already done just that numerous times

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This set of Bach cello solos played by Andre Navarra is treasure!
It's full of musicality.
Recorded in 1970s by Georges Kisselboff, many of the cello music lovers must have got the cd or LP versions.
Here comes the 3-SACD box!

20210313_161430~2.jpg
20210313_161450~2.jpg

Reactions: rando and howiebrou

rando

Sep 22, 2019
One of my favorite 'nothing about this composer or his music should appeal to me' recordings to put on when endlessly searching for something different to put on.

Folder.jpg

@howiebrou A few times now I've thought to ask if you were aware of this California US based public access arts programming with online access, Classic Arts Showcase. Typically it is chock full of staged and soloist with orchestra Opera selections. Hour or so, out of eight, I watched this week featured none.

Bringing the Arts to Everyone
CAS was the vision of Lloyd E. Rigler. It was his lifelong love of the performing arts – and his concern that the majority of Americans are rarely exposed to the world’s greatest performances – that inspired this vision. After tracking ticket sales of live performances for decades, Rigler found arts organizations were performing to more empty seats every year, selling fewer tickets and charging more for them. With current audiences aging, and little or no arts exposure in homes and schools to build new audiences, Rigler sought to foster a wider appreciation of classic arts nationwide — through television. He envisioned the creation of a 24-hour non-commercial arts network, designed to bring the classic arts to the widest possible audience.

Expect the Unexpected
There is no program guide for CAS, because the beauty of CAS is that you’ll never know what to expect. One moment you might be watching a rare film of George Gershwin performing one of his own compositions on the piano, and less than five minutes later you might see Beverly Sills in a great moment from a classic opera. Each weekly eight-hour show is downlinked by hundreds of channels across the country at different times, with different schedules. The element of surprise — not knowing exactly what’s coming up next — is part of what CAS is all about. The goal is to generate excitement and build a new audience for the wide range of performances presented through the arts.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
One of my favorite 'nothing about this composer or his music should appeal to me' recordings to put on when endlessly searching for something different to put on.

View attachment 75894

@howiebrou A few times now I've thought to ask if you were aware of this California US based public access arts programming with online access, Classic Arts Showcase. Typically it is chock full of staged and soloist with orchestra Opera selections. Hour or so, out of eight, I watched this week featured none.
No! Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
This maybe not the cuppa tea for the highbrow Classical lovers on the site--but us looking for some new and exciting pieces--well I came across this
performance played by bunch of amateur musicians--who mainly play for peanuts and the passion in little town down under.
excellent performance and that organ finale!-my Crockery almost rattled off the shelves :p!

Damn good stuff--I'd like the knowledgable to recommend a recording/disc that typifies this work --for my collection --grateful thanks.

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing