What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Started with No.2 today (he chose to open with it)--wow--he really lets loose in the tempestuous parts and plays the quiet ones so beautifully. Great sound, too.

71ZC3ExAeyL._SL500_.jpg

I need to give a shout out to Presto Classical in the UK. I ordered this CD set a few weeks ago, but somehow the name of my street got omitted in the mailing address, so it was returned to them. As soon as it arrived, they sent me another copy and did not charge me for the second shipping amount. A class act.

F. J. Haydn: String Quartet in C major Op 9 No 1

R-2610680-1293067238.jpeg.jpg

Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 4 (1981)
(Stunning sonics here surpassing even the Chandos/Segerstam recording. Storgårds has quite a different take on this music too and I like it a lot.)

6.220646.jpg

Egon Wellesz: Symphony No. 4 Op. 70 Sinfonia Austriaca (1951-53)
(A very wonderful symphony--Mahler would have appreciated it had he lived to hear it.)

grande.jpg

I bought this, among 3 other box sets yesterday, and started with disc 3. Hamelin seems unfazed by the frequent difficulties of this music. Very good sound--nice cover, too.

910jUh2i76L._SL500_.jpg

71hhdYaHP7L._SL500_.jpg

J.S. Bach: Sonata No. 3 for Violin and Keyboard in E Major, BWV 1016

ZZT302.jpg

Some call him rough hewn , but his raw boned big tone goes down well with me ....
image.jpeg

Hob. XV1 No.20 and 49 today. Beautifully played and recorded.

51LMxu0cDKL.jpg

Great stuff as always, Bachtoven...i will check them out. Have you heard:

Haydn - Piano Sonatas.jpg

J.C.F. Bach: Sonatas for Traverso and Fortepiano
(Music--sheer delight, performance--suavely delicate, sound--crystal clear with proper mike placement)

4842833-origpic-612a67.jpg

image.jpeg

I finished this set with Sonata No.3, which he plays with commanding sweep and virtuosity. Superb sound--to my ears, the perfect balance of presence and hall sound.

71ZC3ExAeyL._SL500_.jpg

I bought this as part of my box set bonanza (and from an actual CD/LP store!) the other day. I've only heard symphonies 7-9, so I was curious about the first 6 and figured this was probably an authentic-sounding set. I started with Symphony No.1. Not bad at all, if a little long. The Symphony is paired with the Cello Concerto, which receives a fine performance. I think it's odd that none of the soloists are Czech, but they are all renowned musicians. 5 of the 6 discs play for more than 80 minutes, so this is quite a bargain set. Great sound, too.

71bVI-jMWYL._SL500_.jpg

71TZCdqjJIL._SL500_.jpg

When Lazar Berman praises another pianist's technique, musicality, and individuality, then he's worth looking into, and Bellucci doesn't disappoint in these two fiercely difficult pieces. Excellent sound, too.

41KT9OIye9L.jpg

51hKzShNbML.jpg

I was thrilled to find a sealed copy of this LP for only $15. My old one was worn out ages ago. I can't imagine why RCA never issued this recording on CD. It's also hard to imagine anyone playing this with anywhere near the searing intensity of these artists. The 1968 sonics hold up well.

R-5296794-1389889399-2877.jpeg.jpg

Interesting...i have the Kertesz set (incl a separate Remastered of 8&9 done in 2006). Have you heard it? As always, appreciate any opinions/comparisons you may have:

Dvorak Symphonies.jpg

I bought this as part of my box set bonanza (and from an actual CD/LP store!) the other day. I've only heard symphonies 7-9, so I was curious about the first 6 and figured this was probably an authentic-sounding set. I started with Symphony No.1. Not bad at all, if a little long. The Symphony is paired with the Cello Concerto, which receives a fine performance. I think it's odd that none of the soloists are Czech, but they are all renowned musicians. 5 of the 6 discs play for more than 80 minutes, so this is quite a bargain set. Great sound, too.

71bVI-jMWYL._SL500_.jpg

71TZCdqjJIL._SL500_.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu