What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

One usually has to find a spot in the music where there is a strong attack for an analog edit to be inaudible. It also helps to have skilled musicians who can accurately recreate the tempos and dynamics so the music doesn't suddenly slow down or lunge ahead at the edit points! I usually used headphones so I could hear every little detail while editing.

Yes. I actually do a large amount of audio editing in the digital domain and also use headphones. That said, I am usually not stitching takes together (though I do that too) and am usually repairing a raw vinyl transcription. However whenever I create an edit point, I will test it with the headphones used in both "normal" listening mode and then also with Dolby Headphone enabled. The reason for that is because if I only use the headphones normally, I've found I can miss certain "phasey" effects that are sometimes introduced by the editing algorithms that suddenly become very obvious when listening via speakers, but are inaudible when listening via headphone (that works both ways too - things inaudible on speakers but audible with headphones). But I know I am perfectly happy with an edit when it is completely inaudible when listening with headphones in both listening "modes", since the Dolby Headphone re-creates the same sort of listening perspective and "phasiness" (if there is such a word) of speakers.

image.jpg

Sorabji's 75-minute Toccata.

71AiESNGnAL._SL500_.jpg

71-SCq20MLL._SL500_.jpg

Having some fun today!

sxl2008.jpg

An excerpt from the end of side 1 (Herold Zampa) is linked to below. Gosh is there anything better than a virtuosic overture played by a fantastic orchestra and recorded in that inimitable 1950s intimate, close miked and relatively dry sound (all in a complimentary sense) that labels like Decca and Mercury achieved. Probably would have been ever better if it had been called Overtures in Mono!!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rrzkzo

Bachtoven,

Are you familiar with Tacet recordings? They have Goldberg Variations, 17 CDs of Haydn's works, and Beethoven's 9 Symphonies...audiophile quality (apparently)...but really curious to as the quality of the musicians/playing...

...see link to a review...http://www.theaudiobeat.com/music/vivaldi_concertos_lp.htm

vivaldi - tacet.jpg

Bachtoven,

Are you familiar with Tacet recordings? They have Goldberg Variations, 17 CDs of Haydn's works, and Beethoven's 9 Symphonies...audiophile quality (apparently)...but really curious to as the quality of the musicians/playing...

...see link to a review...http://www.theaudiobeat.com/music/vivaldi_concertos_lp.htm

View attachment 28019

I have just this one SACD from them and it is wonderful!

00744.jpg

Their Beethoven Symphonies are with a chamber orchestra--I prefer full orchestras, such as the Berlin Phil. I do have most of Evgeni Koroliov's Bach recordings. The sound is good, if not demonstration worthy, but his playing is fantastic.

I have just this one SACD from them and it is wonderful!

00744.jpg

Their Beethoven Symphonies are with a chamber orchestra--I prefer full orchestras, such as the Berlin Phil. I do have most of Evgeni Koroliov's Bach recordings. The sound is good, if not demonstration worthy, but his playing is fantastic.

Thanks!!!

Reger isn't a composer that I'd normally associate with Schiff, but he does quite a nice job with the thorny Bach Variations.

5103Fl97ojL.jpg

41qVgZzskNL.jpg

K.428 today. Excellent sound, but the image favors the center and right channel. Does anyone else own this LP set?

A1hp1%2BoFknL._SL500_.jpg

My goodness, this Shimkus family is talented! (Her older brother is an even more colossal pianist.) Fabulous playing and sound. (Well, parts of the Bach Toccata are a bit fast for my taste.)

71EcRH%2BOJ3L._SL500_.jpg

816G1OBriNL._SL500_.jpg

Bach - Goldberg Variations:

- Simone Dinnerstein
- Gavrilov
- Nes Chamber Orchestra
- Maisky Trio

Skipped Gould today, my favorite...and just got four more!

- Bach - Goldberg Variations - Cafe Zimmerman.jpg Cafe Zimmerman
- Bach - Goldberg Variations - Gould Live 1959.jpg Gould Live in 1959
- Bach - Goldberg Variations - M.jpg
- Bach - Goldberg Variations - Staier.jpg Andreas Steier on Harpsichord

Beautiful playing--so expressive. The sound is good but more distant than I prefer. It clearly portrays a piano being played in a large hall rather than placing it in one's listening room.

61dfW8nWuAL._SL500_.jpg

71fzlMEg4DL._SX500_.jpg

Bach - Toccata Loussier.jpg

This music is more abrasively contemporary than I usually like, but the visceral intensity is quite thrilling, and the SACD sound is demo-worthy.

81AiyoILTxL._SL500_.jpg

For me , this has to be the most lyrical nocturne .... Sublime touch ! Compared to Ashkenazy, Pollini & Rubenstein. Anybody else I need to investigate ? image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu