What ethernet cables are members using?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
EMI does diminish as you posted as it’s a magnetic field. but RF does not degrade so quickly.
when we stack components we are creating a new issue not as just 1 item alone.
back on topic for data cables is a host of different types of interference. it’s why all data transmissions has a recovery alignment procedure.
this in part is what we hear.
having a router , cell phone or even components themselves cause sound changes.
cable distance in being too short less then I think it’s 2 or 3 feet min for audio is a bad idea. Data is two way and if the distance is less then min there is an echo effect on the data correction software algorithms used

Reactions: Bso

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No longer available on Amazon but there are many similar models listed.
View attachment 108570
Notice EMF not EMI
EMI is the name given to effects from EMF
it’s a handy device to use for sure.
RF is a much larger rabbit hole to go Dow and we need various methods to find them. Most all switched psu create this noise a pc main board has loads of noise we can hear the effect of
But pure data has little to no effect on

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Notice EMF not EMI
EMI is the name given to effects from EMF
it’s a handy device to use for sure.
RF is a much larger rabbit hole to go Dow and we need various methods to find them. Most all switched psu create this noise a pc main board has loads of noise we can hear the effect of
But pure data has little to no effect on
I agree with you about RF, but does anything you posted change the fact that all of our components generate noise? The EtherRegen was singled out with the caution that “the 'cure' is perhaps worse than the disease.” That’s just silly because if what it was emitting was worse the the cure, it wouldn’t have garnered nearly unanimous positive impressions for what it delivered for the price. Contrast that with the Chord MScaler and we see a tons of reports from users touting the benefits of RF-reducing bandaids. But even as bad as the problem is, many still think the cure is better than the disease. Every product in the real world comes with tradeoffs. When we assemble our systems we need to take those into account if we want to get the best performance from our gear.

I ultimately dumped my MScaler partly because of the number of bandaids that were needed took up too much of my rack space. The ER has outlasted it because every time I’ve done comparisons to see how well the ER cures the network noise disease, I have found my system to sound far better with it. The noise floor perceptibly drops and more natural colors emerge. Devices that generate harmful RF do the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Very well said what products or product do you refer too ?
I’m interested . Sorry if I missed it it’s a long thread

Republicoftexas69

Reactions: kennyb123

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Very well said what products or product do you refer too ?
I’m interested . Sorry if I missed it it’s a long thread
FWIW there is an iPhone app called EMF Detector. It has some florid prose accompanying it - I'll avoid living under power lines. I'm sure the app is 'cheap and cheerful' versus some laboratory test equipment.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
FWIW there is an iPhone app called EMF Detector. It has some florid prose accompanying it - I'll avoid living under power lines. I'm sure the app is 'cheap and cheerful' versus some laboratory test equipment.
I had the app lol. it drove me crazy way to sensitive
At the time I had an intermittent noise in a pre amp or dac feeding my preamp. I’m the end it was RFI from my router 10 feet away.
my finding it led me to shut off one by one breakers in my home. when I shut down the router poof it was gone.
10 feet away and both devices well shielded one in copper hahaha
as for power lines the high voltage are the enemy
Anything 10k or so is not bad if 100 feet or so.
high above ten k is very high in EMI but also Carrie’s RFI as it’s very long.
I leave in the city and rural ill
Take the burbs anytime

Reactions: vert and Bso

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I’ve been listening to an A-B ren tech ethernet cable.

It’s connected between a Gigafoil and my streamer.

It’s made me realize ethernet cables that I’ve used in the past that sound very smooth or clean actually cut off frequencies.

They impress you for a couple of months, then you realize the music is missing the reverb or ambient cues.

Reactions: lordcloud

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I currently use a wifi extender for my streamer.
System is in a temporary location.

Considering laying some ethernet cable for it.
Approx 12m.

Is Supra Cat8 suitable?
Or Blue Jeans Cat 6?

Any other suggestions?

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I currently use a wifi extender for my streamer.
System is in a temporary location.

Considering laying some ethernet cable for it.
Approx 12m.

Is Supra Cat8 suitable?
Or Blue Jeans Cat 6?

Any other suggestions?
I would recommend you use a run LC/LC fiber for the 12M run instead of the long run of Ethernet cable. Get a couple TP-Link FMCs (fiber media convertors), a couple of $12 Reliapro wall-wart style linear power supplies to power the FMCs, some Tripp-Lite multi-mode or Corning single-mode fiber, and some SFP optical transcievers. Be sure to match the SFPs with the type of fiber used (use multi-mode SFPs with multi-mode fiber, single-mode FMCs with single-mode fiber). It'll be a lot cheaper, easier to run and "dress" and...it will sound better than the long run of Ethernet cable. Then, run a short, high quality Ethernet cable, e.g a Shunyata Venom-X from the "downstream" FMC to the destination device (e.g. your streamer or network bridge). Supra Cat-8 is a good cable, but the Venom-X is a lot better. Be sure to use a minimum length of 1.5M for the Ethernet cable (this is important to minimize the effect of EM wave reflections on the cable). If you need a more specific BOM, just let me know.

Example set-up shown...

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
And I also have reasonable ethernet cables to my switch, and my streamer.
For affordable cables, the Supra Cat8 were my favorites with respect to audio quality. Just a note that the most important Ethernet cable is the final Ethernet cable in the network, the one from the "downstream" switch to the network bridge or streamer in the main system.

Also, the quality of the power supplies for the Ethernet switches used are really important. Generic SMPS that come with the switches are the worst to use for this application.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
In my system, Naim ND 555, Naim PS 555 DR (two powersupplies), Melco S10 and Schnerzinger Lan Protector, I use the Shunyata Omega ethernet cables. For me one of the best I know and can afford.

Reactions: Puma Cat

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
For affordable cables, the Supra Cat8 were my favorites with respect to audio quality. Just a note that the most important Ethernet cable is the final Ethernet cable in the network, the one from the "downstream" switch to the network bridge or streamer in the main system.

Also, the quality of the power supplies for the Ethernet switches used are really important. Generic SMPS that come with the switches are the worst to use for this application.
Already know that, thanks.
Switches fed by Plixir Elite BDC power supplies with Statement DC cables and Mad Scientist power cables. Last ethernet cables to switch to streamer are good.

I'm planning to run a 10m cable under my house from my router to an ethernet wall socket to feed my system.
All I've asked if anyone knows what cables other than Supra are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange55

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
As has been suggested go with fiber optic.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
And as has been explained, I'm not going to use fibre in this instance.

Again
I'm planning to run a 10m cable under my house from my router to an ethernet wall socket to feed my system.
All I want to know is if anyone knows what decent cables other than Supra are available.

Republicoftexas69

Already know that thanks.
Switches fed by Plixir Elite BDC power supplies with Statement DC cables and Mad Scientist power cables. Last ethernet cables to switch to streamer are good.

All I've asked if anyone knows what cables other than Supra are available.
So buy some cheap stuff on Amazon, Bluejeans cable is decent.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
So I'd rather not.
Wondering if there is something higher quality that can be supplied from a spool.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing