What ethernet cables are members using?

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Nothing anyone can suggest then, unterminated ethernet cable, a step up from Blue Jeans or Supra Cat8.
Sells by the metre.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Read this thread last night and see you haven't received much in the way of recommendations.

I've never used BJC network cables, but have used Supra Cat8+, and it is quite good for the price. However, I found another value product that I like a good bit better. It is this: Amazon.com: LINKUP - [GHMT & DSX8000 Certified Cat8 Ethernet Patch Cable S/FTP 22AWG Double Shielded Solid Cable | 2000MHz 2GHz 40Gbps | 5th-Gen Ethernet LAN Network 40G Structure Wires |Yellow| 1 M (3.3ft) : Electronics you can buy it if I remember correctly up to 50', maybe more and I think they will also make custom lengths too. I have an acquaintance that I shared this cable information with. They decided to buy a 50' run of it and are quite happy with it. I can say in the 1M lengths I bought, and I have around five or six of these, that it is much fuller with better resolution and musicality compared to the Supra Cat8+. If you look at it, the build quality and connectors are quite good, and for the money are really quite a value. Of course, this is IMHO and YMMV as usual. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jerrybj

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Wireworld Starlight
I’d highly encourage demoing that cable as it can have a tendency towards brightness. I actually think their Chroma ethernet is a bargain. Since it’s all copper there is no tendency towards brightness.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Surprised no one has brought up DH Labs Reunion as another cost-effective alternative.

Carlosoptico

Feb 23, 2022
My Audio Only Network consists of a generic 5 meter cable from the satellite internet provider's router to a Ubiquiti Edge Router X powered by 12 volts DC from a solar system. Two Supra cables run from here, one for the H&P Aruba Wifi access point (also powered by 12 volt DC from the solar system) and one for the DIY server. In their RJ-45 terminations I have a JCAT NET filter in both and then another Supra cable to the Aruba PA and a Final Touch Audio Metis cable to the server. The latter has been amazing and has given the system a huge SQ gain , both streaming via Qobuz and local files . Carlos

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I've asked a reasonable, specific question.
Looking for suggestions from people.
That's all.

I haven't been rude or impolite.
Not wanting fibre, or to replace my final ethernet cables.
Just have asked a specific question.

Your comments?
"It all comes from a spool..."
"Buy Sablon"
"Why are you so pissy?"

Sorry I stepped anywhere near your toe.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I've asked a reasonable, specific question.
Looking for suggestions from people.
That's all.

I haven't been rude or impolite.
Not wanting fibre, or to replace my final ethernet cables.
Just have asked a specific question.

Your comments?
"It all comes from a spool..."
"Buy Sablon"
"Why are you so pissy?"

Sorry I stepped anywhere near your toe.
"No thanks"
"And as has been explained"
"Again"
"Unhelpful"
"All I want to know..."
"All I've asked..."
In my opinion, these are slightly off-colour ways of responding to people who have only tried to assist. This is a nice community and all comments should be appreciated, whether they are in jest or serious suggestions. People tend to meander off topic slightly making threads more enjoyable. They don't always have to answer questions asked specifically nor be reprimanded if they do so. I am far from being one of those members who pick fights with other people on forums but I find the replies you provided to somewhat unnecessary. Having said that I hope you find what you need. :)

Reactions: FDPDK and Puma Cat

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I find this a very helpful community.
And am grateful to the ideas on a range of topics.

Why then are you picking on me, which is what this is starting to become. You came at me with an edge, that was unwarranted.
Just drop it huh? WBF is way better than your comebacks and accusations.
You are making it personal.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I find this a very helpful community.
And am grateful to the ideas on a range of topics.

Why then are you picking on me, which is what this is starting to become. You came at me with an edge, that was unwarranted.
Just drop it huh? WBF is way better than your comebacks and accusations.
You are making it personal.
Anyone reading the last couple of pages will notice who began with the unwarranted remarks. Grow up please and let's not discuss this anymore.

Reactions: FDPDK and Puma Cat

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
For affordable cables, the Supra Cat8 were my favorites with respect to audio quality. Just a note that the most important Ethernet cable is the final Ethernet cable in the network, the one from the "downstream" switch to the network bridge or streamer in the main system.

Also, the quality of the power supplies for the Ethernet switches used are really important. Generic SMPS that come with the switches are the worst to use for this application.
Pin 1,2 and 3 and 6 is inportant exsample 100mbit lan.if possible with a large shielding cover against interference from outside. data is sent and received via these 4 cables.

Reactions: Gunnar

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Why then are you picking on me, which is what this is starting to become
I should just mention that my reaction had been similar to @howiebrou. It might not have been your intention to come off that way, but your replies have come off as sounding somewhat curt.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
The problem I guess sitting behind a keyboard, where intonation and therefore intent can be misinterpreted.
As is the case here.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The problem I guess sitting behind a keyboard, where intonation and therefore intent can be misinterpreted.
As is the case here.
It’s important to be cognizant of that. Sprinkling in words that show appreciation can help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing