What is a reviewer?

Of course, it is a bit provocative.
It’s just completely beside the point but I will say that the guy with the opera singer girlfriend bought Acoustats along with 4 other audiophiles I knew after hearing my system. They are hard to find in Europe but not really expensive. A Norwegian physicist friend of mine bought my last pair when I decided to move to horns. He was a bass player and avid European Jazz afficianado (ECM)…we saw many jazz concerts together.

If you are on a budget I would say there is literally no better speakers to own if you are primarily into acoustic music rather than rock or electronic music. You need space for them though.

Reactions: hopkins
Umm…sorry but you know not of what you speak. You do realize that a large part of any orchestra is violinists? And when you are the konzertmeisterin, you need to be aware all the more. Also, FWIW, most “classical “ buffs I know listen frequently to other genres, including rock/metal and electronic.
Musician's are very focused on their instrument, the rest of the band/orchestra are only there to support their effort, you should know that by now. Having dated a violinist. The same with bass players, i would have given Suzi Quatro a spin in her day though. ;)

Flow and ebb and tone are crucial, Ked is a rare exception :)
Only the above words in your post are correct, rest is all wrong

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
Only the above words in your post are correct, rest is all wrong
You classic music junkies crack me up, you are a dying breed ! :)

Musician's are very focused on their instrument, the rest of the band/orchestra are only there to support their effort, you should know that by now. Having dated a violinist. The same with bass players, i would have given Suzi Quatro a spin in her day though. ;)
You are thinking only of soloists. My ex soloed and was Konzertmeisterin (1st chair in English parlance). We performing in the orchestra you have to be very aware of the other players and instruments. Great rock bands were ones where the sum was greater than their parts…you don’t get that without listening to the others…same with all music really. This is why someone like Yngvie Malmsteen is kind of a footnote in rock history and Randy Rhodes is a guitar god…he knew how to play in a band and Malmsteen not.

I am also one of those nuts who believes unamplified sound (classical music or otherwise) is a good measuring stick.

People will have different opinions of what they hear in a system. Also crucially (and obviously) equipment interactions/synergies and room properties of the reviewer's systems can impact and taint comparisons.

But trying to achieve unamplifed music seems to me as a good starting point. It is interesting that some people find this controversial.
Quad / Peter Walker's motto from the 1960s "the closest approach to the original sound" still probably holds true. Sort of defines hifi for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu