What is a reviewer?

The comment was about live music as a reference being important for the reviewer. I made no mention of genre.
I did make a comment about genera because the type of live music is very important. Classicsl and jazz in a small setting.is unamplified. Once a PA takes over and does the heavy lifting, sending the music to the crowd, the sonic character of the instruments is significantly altered. So, if someone were to dislike or seldom to never play jazz and classical, then this idea a live event as a baseline loose relavence to me.

7 channel stereo

Hello

The rears and center make a big difference. Running All Stereo you won't get the steering correct from a multichannel source. So was it a Stereo source playing All Stereo? You will get the envelopment not sure on the bass management.

Rob :)

Kingrex that seems light. I can get 20% frequently. Occasionally 30%. Cables 50%. I would imagine at least 40%.

I did make a comment about genera because the type of live music is very important. Classicsl and jazz in a small setting.is unamplified. Once a PA takes over and does the heavy lifting, sending the music to the crowd, the sonic character of the instruments is significantly altered. So, if someone were to dislike or seldom to never play jazz and classical, then this idea a live event as a baseline loose relavence to me.

King, are you suggesting that reviewers do not need to listen to live music, or even that they can not know what instruments sound like because the important genre amplifies and alters the sound anyway? Help me to understand your point as it applies to reviewers.

I read your comments several times and I'm not sure I undestand them in the way you meant them. But that's okay.

My sense of what you're saying is that a review is more valuable to you if you can relate to the review system in terms of gear you have or know, that the room, according to the reviewer, - a room you may not know but maybe you do -- is 'mature' and the system stable, and that the reviewer uses analog pressings ... here I'm guessing ... that you know and gauge of sufficient merit. My general impression is that what you find of value in audio assessment is how it is relevant to you.

Fwiw, I do not understand the notion of 'digital media references' as hardware. I think the notion of recording quality and music capable of demonstrating the system and review component would be format independent. But this is about your views not mine.

Be that as it may - Thanks for following up on my question.
This is a good point. There is a lot of talk of the reviewer, but less about who is digesting the review. Something I am touching on when naming reviewers of $500 to $5000 gear. Most hear scoff.at such equipment. But thats where the units are sold in the 10s of thousands.

Kingrex that seems light. I can get 20% frequently. Occasionally 30%. Cables 50%. I would imagine at least 40%.
There you go. Your words 20% to 30%. I get offered the same. If you have no industry affiliation, your getting a close out that is close to dealer pricing.

Hopefully one’s understanding of what electrified rock/ pop etc. sounds like is not limited to a venues crappy PA or live mix. Hopefully if you are a reviewer you’ve spent countless hours listening up close and personal to practice sessions, recording sessions or maybe your buddies Stratocaster, fender or high hat. Maybe even hitting a Tom Tom yourself to hear and feel it so that you know what it sounds like. This can help distinguish between a poor recording and poor reproduction of that recording. Anyone who is going to declare that a speaker does this well or that well vs another speaker must first have mastery of all the constituent parts that lead to an educated opinion.

King, are you suggesting that reviewers do not need to listen to live music, or even that they can not know what instruments sound like because the important genre amplifies and alters the sound anyway? Help me to understand your point as it applies to reviewers.
Rex is better than King. Kingrex is from the old Italian ladies in the neighborhood pinching my cheak and saying, did you know your name means king in Latin.

I am saying, a reviewer can listen to and refer to live unamplified all they want. But a reviewers pay comes from the audience reading or watching the reviewers content. If the audience cares not for live, unamplified music, then it means nothing to the audience. And even the notion that a reviewer is only serious if they have a mega system is skewed to me as I believe the vast bulk of sales of audio equipment happen in the hundred to low thousands range. I see it as an artificially imposed constraint to imply reviews are pertaining to multi thousand $$$ products. Does that make more sense?

Rex I get that but in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of any given piece of equipment after listening to it you first have understand exactly what it should be reproducing. The delta is error. Now not all systems need to be geared towards accuracy. They could be designed to create a warm inviting sound or an overly huge sound stage or to exaggerate mid bass output. The reviewer should note this and recommend it to those seeking this qualities. Does that make sense

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu