What is a reviewer?

I sat in a.stereo store with a nice 7 channel stereo and a Fleetwood Mac concert on the projector screen. Sort of a Wow experiencs. The visual aid helps take you there. Darn enjoyable.
absolutely darn enjoyable. agree.

musically what multi-channel and dsp does best. carry us away with scale and sweep + visuals. triggers all the senses....and deep memories.

and although different YouTube even on a laptop goes down the same road. visuals add so much and take us places. we tend to not be so picky on the sound and sonic realism. we just cave to where we are going experientially.

Reactions: Robh3606
absolutely darn enjoyable. agree.

musically what multi-channel and dsp does best. carry us away with scale and sweep + visuals. triggers all the senses....and deep memories.

and although different YouTube even on a laptop goes down the same road. visuals add so much and take us places. we tend to not be so picky on the sound and sonic realism. we just cave to where we are going experientially.
A very different experience and sadly not one that I want to repeat daily or even often, I have done some major combination system for people and it amazes me that after a short period of time they go back to listening to music and very rarely do that with video except to watch TV or a movie. Music videos and concert videos don't get watched oiver and over yet listening to the album does, things that make you go hmmmm!

Last edited:
Reactions: cdka and Lagonda
A very different experience and sadly not one that I want to repeat daily or even often, I have done some major combination system for people and it amazes me that after a short period of time they go back to listening to music and very rarely do that with video except to watch TV or a movie. Music videos and concert videos don't get watched oiver and over yet litening to the album does, things that make you go hmmmm!
not a 'steady diet' thing. been months since i did it. but can be fun. i'm doing 2 channel 5+ hours a day and don't plan on that changing.

i never suggested compromising 2 channel with add-on multi-channel at all. my multi-channel is in my dedicated Home Theater and also my football watching spot with the small Dolby Atmos upstairs in my barn.

my only point was adding video to multi-channel does do some special things, but it's not the musical connection of 2 channel, it's something else.

I assume you mean you were taught audio measurements.

Sorry Ron, they taught me how to listen and evaluate sound. Well enough that I was part of a team that repaired and upgraded radio stations from age 19 to 34.

Her is something I posted on Audiophile Style on August 3,2022.

I took a trip down my audio life recently. Began with Rick Roskopf of Tektronix introducing me to engineers who taught me audio as a teenager. Discovering Reed College and people it produced like James Russell and Bill Low. Fun to reread what Walt Jung, Matti Otala and Neville Theile wrote back then.

Sorry Ron, they taught me how to listen and evaluate sound. Well enough that I was part of a team that repaired and upgraded radio stations from age 19 to 34.
I’m sorry. I can’t resist. This is such low hanging fruit.

Here goes:

And that is why listening to over the air radio is such a big part of the audiophile experience today.

Sigh. I apologize in advance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu