What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The STST, if I recall correctly, uses a lower powered direct drive, somewhat analogous to the Nottingham/Pear Audio/etc.
Lower torque yes, but I am confused by the analogy. Does ( did ) Nott / Pear make DD tables?

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
No, Nottingham and Pear make low torque motor belt driven turntables.
Erik: Bill hit it on the nose.

The Motus' designer, Stefan, uses a direct drive design. Stefan, I have read, uses a low torque direct drive, rather than the high torque and highly praised Technics tables. I have not heard a Technics table in a long time - well before I paid close attention to sound performance, so I have only the shadow of an idea of what Technics tables sound like. Today that shadow in my mind is more precision than musicality, but I'd only bet your money on the truth of that, not mine.

Stefan's use of a lower powered, or lower torque motor seems similar to an older Antipodes design, specifically the CX and EX, streamer/renderer combination. The CX and EX (I have only the former) replicated many of the same capabilities, so they could be used separately but the preferred deployment is to use the CX to manage the computer intensive functions and the lower powered EX to feed the signal to the DAC - as I recall. It seems the idea is to keep impact of a higher powered device further away from the signal serves a noticeable purpose. I believe Mark Cole separates the power in one chassis with the K50/Oladra, etc. The digital design may be analogous (ouch!) to the analog deck, i.e. keeping high torque/power away from the signal.

What is similar in my non-engineer mind is Korf Audio ( ) compares a 1970's era Japanese DD versus a belt drive. Their finding is that

"DD's momentary speed wanders over a much wider range, having at least 2 distinct peaks. The belt driven turntable has the correct speed almost twice as often—despite its much worse wow and flutter specification." Maybe the power to make corrections so rapidly has an affect that a lower torque does not. Thus, Bauer v Motus as a question. And, is there something to keeping higher powered circuits further away from the signal?

Larry

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Muser thanks for clarifying. Good points.

I have an SP10mk2 and an STST Motus IIDQ in front of me and agree they yield different results :) . Caveat: I import STST so some bias implied.

Reactions: jeff1225

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
And yes Stefan has spent a lot of time developing the torque / correction strategy.

Reactions: ledoux1238

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
Hi Tom,

Loving the plinth on that Motus! Can you share with us any sonic differences you notice between your new Motus and the Bauer DPS3?

Thanks much!
Don
So - after nearly 3 month I guess, burn in is over…

Had to say, end of january I reply the Benz Ruby Z with an Allnic Rose.

The Benz plays too “full-bodied” on the Motus in the SA-1.2. It was too imprecise in the bass, too “full” in the midrange and could still use a little more resolution.
So the switch to the Allnic Rose was a good decision.
It now plays with the StSt as I had imagined.

And how does it play now?
Compared to the DPS3 with Colibri XGP?

Well - the Bauer plays spatially rather more central / “narrow”, but with a nice depth. The bass range is very defined and controlled. Resolution is at a very high level due to the Colibri.

The combination of StSt Motus, SA-1.2 and Allnic Rose plays much “wider” in the stage, but with less depth. The bass range is more “expansive”, but not as focused and with less control / pressure. As a result, it subjectively goes a bit “deeper” in the bass - but that is objectively not the case.

In general, “size”, “width” and foundation are the characteristics that I would attribute to the StSt + SA-1.2.
Which of these characteristics is to be attributed to the drive or the arm, I cannot say for lack of comparisons.

But what surprised me most about the Rose - it partially resolves a bit “more” than the Colibri. I had not counted on - but I gladly accept.

atb, Tom

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Thank you Tom for taking the time to share such a wonderful and detailed comparison of your two tables with me!
Much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Don

ledoux1238

Jan 4, 2021
Taipei
Literature from a local audio dealer tauted the Bauer as a German + US collaborative effort. Ayre Audio of the US supplies a pure analog, no-feedback design for the power supply. I think In the US market, that's how it is paired.

Art Dudley published a very positive review of the DPS.

Zaphod

Mar 8, 2023
My Crown Jewel is my TriangleArt Symphony Turntable that has brought me vinyl nirvana for over 8 years now. I have upgraded it with a TriangleArt SE platter, OMA Graphite Mat and an OriginLive Conqueror Tonearm with Grado Labs Reference2 cartridge. The sound it reproduces is sublime!

Attachments

• 60278099-E1ED-412A-8D15-0604DD939BB0.jpeg
    60278099-E1ED-412A-8D15-0604DD939BB0.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 54

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
J. Sikora Reference with Kuzma Safir 9
Congratulations on such a wonderful table! I just got back from AXPONA where I spent a great deal of time listening to the J Sikora Reference and I was greatly impressed!

I'm curious if you could describe the sonic differences you hear between the Sikora tonearm and the Kuzma Safir on your table?

Thank you so much,
Don

Reactions: Audire

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I’ve had a few speed issues with my Artemis of late so while I try and sort those out I transferred my Schröder to my old Townshend Rock mk 2, sans trough and just because I’ve never tried it on the Schröder, fitted my mono London Decca Maroon. So far the Decca has behaved impeccably.

IMG_0894.jpeg

Kray

Apr 12, 2021
I recently decided to upgrade my turntable. I had an old VPI Traveler. I was very interested in Michell tables. I really wanted the Gyro SE, but wasn't spinning my records a lot. So not sure it would be worth it to jump right in to the Gyro. I decided to start with the TecnoDec and if i feel i get a lot os usage out of it, then upgrade it to the Gyro later.

Pic is my avatar. cart is AT VM750SH, next step to to go the the ART9 and SUT. Using a Darlington Labs MP-7 phono pre.

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Congratulations on such a wonderful table! I just got back from AXPONA where I spent a great deal of time listening to the J Sikora Reference and I was greatly impressed!

I'm curious if you could describe the sonic differences you hear between the Sikora tonearm and the Kuzma Safir on your table?

Thank you so much,
Don
Although the Sikora KV12 is an excellent tonearm, with all due respect, the Safir plays in a different league with so much more authority, resolution, stage, 3D and detail. I could imagine, however, that the new KV MAX series (which I have not heard yet) might be able to at least reduce the gap. The Safir on the other hand is a masterpiece hard to beat. To me the combo with the Lyra Lambda SL is a match made in heaven which works wonders.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Although the Sikora KV12 is an excellent tonearm, with all due respect, the Safir plays in a different league with so much more authority, resolution, stage, 3D and detail. I could imagine, however, that the new KV MAX series (which I have not heard yet) might be able to at least reduce the gap. The Safir on the other hand is a masterpiece hard to beat. To me the combo with the Lyra Lambda SL is a match made in heaven which works wonders.
Thank you so much for your reply!

I was able to see the Saphir at AXPONA last weekend. I was shocked to see they had it mounted on the Kuzma Stabi S - I don't think this set up did it justice. While in another show room they had the Stogi Ref 313 VTA mounted on the new Stabi R in Walnut. I much preferred the music coming from the latter set up.

You have a very impressive looking system! However, when looking at your avatar picture, I can't help but wonder how you go about changing your records. Sadly at my age, I don't think I could navigate it very well myself.

Best wishes,
Don

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Thank you so much for your reply!

I was able to see the Saphir at AXPONA last weekend. I was shocked to see they had it mounted on the Kuzma Stabi S - I don't think this set up did it justice. While in another show room they had the Stogi Ref 313 VTA mounted on the new Stabi R in Walnut. I much preferred the music coming from the latter set up.

You have a very impressive looking system! However, when looking at your avatar picture, I can't help but wonder how you go about changing your records. Sadly at my age, I don't think I could navigate it very well myself.

Best wishes,
Don
I agree, access to the turntable is a little tricky, but there is enough space to step in between. However, I need to work on a better setup…!

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I agree, access to the turntable is a little tricky, but there is enough space to step in between. However, I need to work on a better setup…!
Never looked at the avatar before, wow that is a maze to navigate. I have a simple path to my turntable and still manage to damage a cartridge after drinking a little to much wine.

Your setup to me after a little wine, looks like an accident waiting to happen. I would not attempt it after a little drink.;)

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Never looked at the avatar before, wow that is a maze to navigate. I have a simple path to my turntable and still manage to damage a cartridge after drinking a little to much wine.

Your setup to me after a little wine, looks like an accident waiting to happen. I would not attempt it after a little drink.;)
It just requires some fitness and experience…:p

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing