What's Everyone Reading

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gentlemen:

1) We do not allow the discussion of politics on WBF. This forum is a sanctuary from that sphere of human endeavor, debate and conflict. This thread is not an exception that rule.

2) With respect to this thread, as announced in post #869 of this thread, the moderators will delete any post which contains words relating to the posting of a photo of the cover of a political book.

3) I intended my post #869 to constitute fair warning that political comments subsequent to post #869 would be deleted.

4) We would appreciate it if members returned to posting on this thread only the photos of the covers of books.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew S.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I read both Kahneman's early book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" and Michael Lewis's book on Kahneman and Tversky's work that led to Kahneman's Nobel prize "The Undoing Project". Both Excellent reads. Cass Sunstein applied Kahneman's work to set government policies so the default choices were changed to better choices - like not having the default choices in long term savings plan to put the money in money market accounts. Looks like I know what the next "Audible" book I am going to get. Thanks, Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I read both Kahneman's early book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" and Michael Lewis's book on Kahneman and Tversky's work that led to Kahneman's Nobel prize "The Undoing Project". Both Excellent reads. Cass Sunstein applied Kahneman's work to set government policies so the default choices were changed to better choices - like not having the default choices in long term savings plan to put the money in money market accounts. Looks like I know what the next "Audible" book I am going to get. Thanks, Larry

The same day Kahneman's book came out, another book was also published - It was called Fast and Slow Thinking, and advertised as having an author named Karl Daniels. It was a compilation of snippets from Wikipedia articles and the like, dressed up like a book. Edited by robots for you to buy by mistake. A spam book. Some people bought it by mistake. Some regretful consumers talk about it on the Amazon page.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The same day Kahneman's book came out, another book was also published - It was called Fast and Slow Thinking, and advertised as having an author named Karl Daniels. It was a compilation of snippets from Wikipedia articles and the like, dressed up like a book. Edited by robots for you to buy by mistake. A spam book. Some people bought it by mistake. Some regretful consumers talk about it on the Amazon page.
Something purporting to be a book but in reality a collection of Wikipedia articles? Sounds like some WBF posts! :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Something purporting to be a book but in reality a collection of Wikipedia articles? Sounds like some WBF posts! :p

Well they did not have emoticons

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Keep pushing the envelope, gentlemen and you may not like the response.

I am closing the thread for now. The admin team will discuss this issue behind closed doors. For now, take a moment and reflect if this battle is worth you remaining a member here at the WBF.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Tom.

We have now reopened this thread.

Please feel free to continue to post photos of the covers of books you are reading.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

* Tingmissartoq

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania

Is this well written? I had this many years ago come across my desk but did not read it.

Edit: @Ron Resnick

Apologies Ron if it is not permitted to ask questions or commentary about books posted here. I well understand the prohibition with respect to political books and associated issues, but is it the case other discussion is permissible?

This book is about aviation, as I understand it.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Steve and I revisited today the controversy on this thread about posting photos of the covers of political books. We understand the view of Al M, Kedar and others who believe that posting the photo of the cover of a political book is, in and of itself, a political expression, a political comment, in violation of the forum's ban on politics. We respect and appreciate this view, but we decline to uphold it here.

We believe that a rule prohibiting the posting of photos of the covers of political books would simply shift the debate to the question of "what is a political book?" For example, is a book by a tenured professor at Harvard University who publishes a Critical Race Theory based revisionist critique of the Constitutional Convention a "political" book? Is a book by Charles Krauthammer, credentialed academically only as a medical doctor, about President John F. Kennedy a political book? (I give these examples only to illustrate our thought process. I am not soliciting public debate here. If for some reason you feel compelled to discuss these examples please contact me privately.)

We decline to adjudicate such questions with regard to the initial posting of the photo of a book cover. We concede, however, that we may be forced occasionally to conduct precisely this adjudication anyway, in connection with deciding whether a book is or is not a "political" book whose cover photo may or many not be posted with accompanying text and may or may not be responded to by others with a comment. If too many of these adjudications become necessary, we might simply prohibit the posting of any text relating to any book cover on this thread. If seems silly, however, to have to prohibit comments on chocolate chip cookie recipes. If you find this to be an unsatisfying analysis, then please just accept that we would rather delete textual comments than the photos of book covers.

The rule about posting only the photos of covers of political books, with no accompanying textual comments, as described in Post #869 of this thread, stands. In addition, no one may post any written comment in response to the posting of a photo of the cover of a political book.

Any text accompanying the posting of a photo of the cover of a political book will be deleted. Any text posted in response to the posting of a photo of the cover of a political book will be deleted. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes comments such as "fabulous read" and "from a true authority."

If you notice that a particular member repeatedly posts photos of the covers of political books which you find objectionable, please feel free to use the "Ignore" feature of the website. I believe this is kind of like "unfollowing" someone on Facebook.

If I, Steve or the moderators fail to delete a post proscribed by this rule we would appreciate it if somebody would kindly let me know.

Please do not hesitate to contact me privately if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: carl13

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is this well written? I had this many years ago come across my desk but did not read it.

Edit: @Ron Resnick

Apologies Ron if it is not permitted to ask questions or commentary about books posted here. I well understand the prohibition with respect to political books and associated issues, but is it the case other discussion is permissible?

This book is about aviation, as I understand it.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for asking. Only comments about political books are prohibited. Comments about aviation books are totally fine!

Reactions: Andrew S. and rando

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Righto - my wife bought me this to read.I'm about half way through and now enjoying it.

It is an historical account of MI5 MI6 (MI stand for Military Intelligence - not their rival Naval Intelligence - which wasn't as well regarded apparently and didn't get naming rights), and the cultivation and running of the infamous "Cambridge 5" by Moscow Centre 1930s - 1970s.The damage they did, their motivations, their unmasking, and surrounding context. But it is much more than that - it covers military and naval intelligence in the UK before during and after WW1.

Be warned - the first couple of chapters makes for pretty gory reading - start at Chapter 3 if you are squeamish.

Here is a review in The Guardian.

9780007516674.jpg

eagle32nd

Mar 8, 2021
Ben Macintyre is brilliant. You should look up his YT videos on things like Operation Mincemeat. Really good watching. Even my kids enjoyed it as he really conveys the sense of danger and craziness that is war and espionage.
I agree with your assessment of Macintyre. I have "Operation Mincement" and it's really good. In fact, I might open it and read it again at some point.

eagle32nd

Mar 8, 2021
I just do not see this as being intuitively obvious. It is not at all clear to me why one necessarily follows from the other. What is the organic source of certainty for you on this point? Please explain your thinking underlying this view.

Fortunately the rule allowing the posting of the photos of the covers of all books is a bright line rule. Unfortunately enforcing the ban on political discussion is subjective and requires judgment.

The former is objective; we promise to do our best on the latter.
I'm a new guy here, but I think I completely agree with you. I love to see what people are reading, regardless of whether I agree with its contents or no.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Righto - my wife bought me this to read.I'm about half way through and now enjoying it.

It is an historical account of MI5 MI6 (MI stand for Military Intelligence - not their rival Naval Intelligence - which wasn't as well regarded apparently and didn't get naming rights), and the cultivation and running of the infamous "Cambridge 5" by Moscow Centre 1930s - 1970s.The damage they did, their motivations, their unmasking, and surrounding context. But it is much more than that - it covers military and naval intelligence in the UK before during and after WW1.

Be warned - the first couple of chapters makes for pretty gory reading - start at Chapter 3 if you are squeamish.

Here is a review in The Guardian.

View attachment 80285
Make sure you watch the mini series if you haven't. 8260 (1).jpg

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Make sure you watch the mini series if you haven't. View attachment 80321

Oh I'll be sure to track that down - haven't watched it yet. Did manage to watch the Alec Guiness Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on BBC iPlayer a few weeks ago. One of my absolute favourites. I miss the 70's and 80's. Simplier times. But then, we wouldn't be doing this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing