What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
There is no civil discourse as we've seen time and time again. See two pages ago for the latest example.

I'll be happy to resign my WBF membership if this occurs. If you want to chat politics with people on the internet, plenty of other venues to do so. Nothing is stopping you and others from joining another forum to do so together. The question you should be asking is why politics has a place on an audio forum.

Not sure if I could handle a political forum here since some members seem to have self control issues, but there are lots of non-audio areas on an audio forum. A small sample would be

D3AC3816-8437-4C5F-AB94-308349409A44.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
(1) There is no civil discourse as we've seen time and time again. (2) See two pages ago for the latest example.

(3) I'll be happy to resign my WBF membership if this occurs. (4) If you want to chat politics with people on the internet, plenty of other venues to do so. Nothing is stopping you and others from joining another forum to do so together. (5) The question you should be asking is why politics has a place on an audio forum.

+1

As the strongest opponent of discussing politics on WBF, and the firmest and most adamant proponent of enforcing on WBF the ban on political discussion, I should have been the last person here to think for a moment that perhaps we could draw a line between political science and politics.

I thought I saw an opening, an opportunity, for a “teaching moment.” I thought perhaps we could rise above politics and into the realm of comparative political science. I see that that is not possible. I see I was naive.

I agree with every single one of the five (5) separate points KeithR makes in his post.

I, personally, will not entertain the idea of a political sub-forum on WBF. So please don’t waste time contemplating, advocating or posting about that idea.

Let’s return on this thread to posting about the stock market.

I apologize to all for my role in steering this thread away from the topic of the stock market.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It’s impossible to have civil political discussions. Keep them out of this thread and site. Done with this.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
+1

As the strongest opponent of discussing politics on WBF, and the firmest and most adamant proponent of enforcing on WBF the ban on political discussion, I should have been the last person here to think for a moment that perhaps we could draw a line between political science and politics.

I thought I saw an opening, an opportunity, for a “teaching moment.” I thought perhaps we could rise above politics and into the realm of comparative political science. I see that that is not possible. I see I was naive.

I agree with every single one of the five (5) separate points KeithR makes in his post.

I, personally, will not entertain the idea of a political sub-forum on WBF. So please don’t waste time contemplating, advocating or posting about that idea.

Let’s return on this thread to posting about the stock market.

I apologize to all for my role in steering this thread away from the topic of the stock market.

+1

Why on earth would one of the best audio forums on the web want to give a soap box to those who want to throw out their biased opinions of the political status in the US?
I agree 100% with Keith R on this point, IF this forum turns into a sounding board for the political pundits that would like to have their opinion rammed down other members throats, I am 100% --out of here.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It’s impossible to have civil political discussions. Keep them out of this thread and site. Done with this.

I agree, because just look @ all the political figures and leaders around the world; they act and fight like children with nasty looks and words...very often, a bunch of them.

They give a bad influence to our societies, to our children, to us.

Politicians are the masters of deception, corruption, breakers of laws for their own personal benefits and not to the entire country they represent. ...Generally. It's a tough life to be working @ the service of people who want peace, freedom and happiness, @ the service of everyone...all colors, all status, for equality and justice for all, poor or rich.

Monday when the stock market reopens I will keep a close watch.
..Just for the fun of it, because I lost it all, all my trust and faith and respect in many companies that are part of the stock markets, my trust is lost in the men and women who run corrupted companies from all sectors of the economy.

And bitcoin can go to hell, and the sooner the better. It's for crooks and thieves and hackers.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I hope I don't get a wuppin for this but I wish we had a Forum-approved venue to have such discussions as long as civil discourse is maintained. I realize a civility condition to such a venue is made difficult by the controversial nature of such discussions, but I feel these times of extreme social polarity mandate more than at any time in my life the exchange of well reasoned ideas amongst intelligent, informed, passionate people like our members. We are broken and getting more so every day. Our best hope is the free exchange of ideas in a socratic fashion amongst those who care about the future--all in pursuit of enlightenment. It must start somewhere.

There will be no exceptions to the rule about politics being forbidden on this site. All of the administrators have spoken at length about this and we all agree without reserve that it will never happen. There are plenty of other sites out there in internet land for that. The WBF is not one of them, nor will it ever be one of them.

Tom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There will be no exceptions to the rule about politics being forbidden on this site. All of the administrators have spoken at length about this and we all agree without reserve that it will never happen. There are plenty of other sites out there in internet land for that. The WBF is not one of them, nor will it ever be one of them.

Tom

+1

Thank you, Tom.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Getting back to the stock market, the market has been in state of flux now for a while because of our tariffs, and the resulting trade war. Anyway, I was wondering as to who gets the money from the tariff. For example, if something cost $100, but now is $125 from the tariff then who gets the $25?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Getting back to the stock market, the market has been in state of flux now for a while because of our tariffs, and the resulting trade war. Anyway, I was wondering as to who gets the money from the tariff. For example, if something cost $100, but now is $125 from the tariff then who gets the $25?

Putin.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Since when is Vancouver part of the US lol .

International investments, in other countries, I'm not stuck in Canadian companies of the stock market, I go global, I'm interested by the stock markets in Japan, in China, in the USA, in Russia, in Europe, in everywhere.

This thread is the USA stock market, I invest heavily in my next door neighbor from the same "garden", from the same land, continent, from North America. Trade is global. Investments I have in the Netherlands for almost half century.

This thread is not restricted to US investors, and it's part of the global economic picture.
The Canadian companies my family and I deal with, many are owned by Americans. We deal with our US partners every single day for the last five hundred years and more.
___

WBF members are universal, from everywhere, and many invest in the US stock market, just like I.
Politics is out, economics is in, and it's global. The US is part of me, I'm only few steps from the line that unifies our people, our investments, our common interests, our expanded vision, our common goals, our both prosperity, ...for the future generations of both our children here and abroad in a universal unification.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
LMAO

You just can't help yourself, can you?

I was making a subtle point, no surprise you're not sophisticated enough to catch it.

You cannot separate politics from finance, not in the current environment where the president specifically targets companies with tweets (Amazon, Harley Davidson, Lockheed Martin, Apple, Toyota, Nordstrom's, etc). If the mods and the owners of the forum want to remove politics, remove all non-audio subjects and be done with it.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
One of the funniest things I've read all day. I think Jeffrey was trying to bring some levity to this very serious thread, and I appreciate that.

Really?

As he continues to dig himself a deeper hole in the post before yours, which is ANYTHING but "levity".

Again, LMAO even more, not just by his comments but now there are people rationalizing his rants as "levity".

In any case, in answer to the original question leading to his rants, the money collected by tariffs goes to the government as a tax.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Really?

As he continues to dig himself a deeper hole in the post before yours, which is ANYTHING but "levity".

Again, LMAO even more, not just by his comments but now there are people rationalizing his rants as "levity".

In any case, in answer to the original question leading to his rants, the money collected by tariffs goes to the government as a tax.

So, the burden on each business of collecting this tariff tax is what causes the market to fluctuate? I guess once we get used to this tax then it will be back to business as usual. I have options vesting the end of July, and this up/down over tariffs is affecting my future audio upgrades.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
So, the burden on each business of collecting this tariff tax is what causes the market to fluctuate? I guess once we get used to this tax then it will be back to business as usual. I have options vesting the end of July, and this up/down over tariffs is affecting my future audio upgrades.

The markets and market makers, at least in my opinion, will find whatever reasons they want to "fluctuate". Now "they" want to use the tariffs as the cause, but at this time we are witnessing the US markets within striking distance of all time highs and NASDAQ at all time highs.

Well I am assuming your tongue in cheek comment about investing in options to fund your audio upgrades may have as big a chance of "downgrading" than upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing