What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Really?

As he continues to dig himself a deeper hole in the post before yours, which is ANYTHING but "levity".

Again, LMAO even more, not just by his comments but now there are people rationalizing his rants as "levity".

In any case, in answer to the original question leading to his rants, the money collected by tariffs goes to the government as a tax.

Priaptor, I did take Jeff's earlier post as humor and I wrote my comment as he wrote his follow up. Had I the benefit of reading the follow up, I would not have written my post. I am not trying to rationalize anything. Politics keeps getting injected into this thread. Thanks for answering the tariff question.

The DOW has been more or less flat for the year after a meteoric rise since November 2016. My uninformed opinion is that the tariff discussions create uncertainty, and that uncertainty is causing stagnation in the indexes. If the tariffs were so detrimental to the future economies, would not the DOW have gone down by a couple of thousand points? My guess is that investors are mixed about the overall effect of tariffs or even intrigued by the unlikely possibility of true free trade without any tariffs. I agree with the view that these are unconventional negotiations, but then I am not in the investment industry.

There seem to be many topics open for discussion on this audio site. Perhaps it is not just an audio site. I like the movie and photo threads that NorthStar opened.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor, I did take Jeff's earlier post as humor and I wrote my comment as he wrote his follow up. Had I the benefit of reading the follow up, I would not have written my post. I am not trying to rationalize anything. Politics keeps getting injected into this thread. Thanks for answering the tariff question.

The DOW has been more or less flat for the year after a meteoric rise since November 2016. My uninformed opinion is that the tariff discussions create uncertainty, and that uncertainty is causing stagnation in the indexes. If the tariffs were so detrimental to the future economies, would not the DOW have gone down by a couple of thousand points? My guess is that investors are mixed about the overall effect of tariffs or even intrigued by the unlikely possibility of true free trade without any tariffs. I agree with the view that these are unconventional negotiations, but then I am not in the investment industry.

There seem to be many topics open for discussion on this audio site. Perhaps it is not just an audio site. I like the movie and photo threads that NorthStar opened.

You bring up a point about the "meteoric rise" since 11/2016. In fact, from where futures were at 12:10am 11/9/2016 the Dow is now up an astounding 7600 points. The future? What role tariffs may or may not have? I am too old and too tired of trying to play markets for short term moves or watching and analyzing charts, or listening to the pundits, etc.

I read an interesting stat the other day. Since 1952 if you missed the top 5 percentage gaining days in the markets, you would have under performed the bond market.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You gotto hedge anyway playing the market .
But the Day Will come i can live of trading indexoptions short term .
My gold stocks Just where a brand new co nvergent pre i the plus .
But back to zero again since last week .
My play is disaster short term 3 years max hence gold stocks .
Then buy the market low

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The bigger issues that most investors aren't seeing is that both China and Europe are slowing- and have been way before any tariff talk.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The bigger issues that most investors aren't seeing is that both China and Europe are slowing- and have been way before any tariff talk.

Agree

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
..., the money collected by tariffs goes to the government as a tax.

The government is us, the people. We pay taxes for/to ourselves, to invest in future developments of future generations in a healthier and happier planet for all the people living on it. ...Intelligent Evolution.

But it's true that some people elected in our governments are taking that money for themselves; to fly first class vacationing, expensive hotels, house renovations, new fridge and kitchen appliances, etc.
And that royally enrages me, it makes me furious that those government officials are stealing money from the taxpayers, us, you, them, their friends, their neighbors. They should be put in jail and do hard labour in all fairness.

Too many CEOs of big companies (pharmaceutical, car industry, oil industry, technologies, science and nuclear proliferation, ...) registered in the Dow and NASDAQ and Standard & Poor 500 are corrupted and wasting tax paying dollars by the trillions. It's an outrage in a civilised democratic free society. Independence is accomodation in sharing resources in a clean and liberating environment for all humanity.

The stock market is not just capitalism, it's the universal cure for the disease between the rich and the poor. But that reality is simply not it, because our laws allow the financial criminals to corrupt the officials, rob the poor, kill the children, starve the planet.

Tomorrow morning, first thing first.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I follow my instinct, what people like to share, what I like to share, what we all like.
It is an audio site, but it is also an everything site, everything that is best in life.
...Music, films, audio loudspeakers, audio cables, best stocks to buy now, best ones to sell, to hold on.

I love space and science, the galaxy, beyond the universe, the knowledge on all things living and dying. I love life and everything that is in it.

Hearing, sounds, music, audio...are the domain of the human ear, the hearing sense, and all that comes with it...pure, clean, realistic, powerful, emotional, best as is close to live.

Viewing, images, pictures, photos, moving frames, films, documentaries...are the domain of the human eye, the seeing sense, and all that comes with it...immaculate, beautiful, majestic, best as is close to live.

Money buys everything except real love. It can help to fulfill all our senses; best food, best wines, best movie setup, best stereo hi-fi setup, best ocean breeze, best cars, best flowers aroma.

Money you can make in the stock market. ...Or lose.
But no matter how much you make or lose in the stock market, the best still remains.
The rich have easier access and the poor easier understanding, meaning a fuller measure of appreciation.

It's open to discussion what I've just said, if it wasn't I wouldn't have said it in the first place. It's like the stock market, it can go up or down.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I follow my instinct, what people like to share, what I like to share, what we all like.
It is an audio site, but it is also an everything site, everything that is best in life.
...Music, films, audio loudspeakers, audio cables, best stocks to buy now, best ones to sell, to hold on.

I love space and science, the galaxy, beyond the universe, the knowledge on all things living and dying. I love life and everything that is in it.

Hearing, sounds, music, audio...are the domain of the human ear, the hearing sense, and all that comes with it...pure, clean, realistic, powerful, emotional, best as is close to live.

Viewing, images, pictures, photos, moving frames, films, documentaries...are the domain of the human eye, the seeing sense, and all that comes with it...immaculate, beautiful, majestic, best as is close to live.

Money buys everything except real love. It can help to fulfill all our senses; best food, best wines, best movie setup, best stereo hi-fi setup, best ocean breeze, best cars, best flowers aroma.

Money you can make in the stock market. ...Or lose.
But no matter how much you make or lose in the stock market, the best still remains.
The rich have easier access and the poor easier understanding, meaning a fuller measure of appreciation.

It's open to discussion what I've just said, if it wasn't I wouldn't have said it in the first place. It's like the stock market, it can go up or down.

Never change NorthStar, your posts are the best.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The government is us, the people. We pay taxes for ourselves, to invest in future developments.

But it's true that some people elected in our governments are taking that money for themselves; to fly first class vacationing, expensive hotels, house renovations, new fridge and kitchen appliances, etc.
And that royally enrages me, it makes me furious that those government officials are are stealing money from the taxpayers, us, you, them, their friends, their neighbors. They should be put in jail and do hard labour in all fairness.

Too many CEOs of big companies (pharmaceutical, car industry, oil industry, technologies, science and nuclear proliferation, ...) registered in the Dow and NASDAQ and Standard & Poor 500 are corrupted and wasting tax paying dollars by the trillions. It's an outrage in a civilised democratic free society. Independence is accomodation in sharing resources in a clean and liberating environment for all humanity.

The stock market is not just capitalism, it's the universal cure for the disease between the rich and the poor. But that reality is simply not it, because our laws allow the financial criminals to corrupt the officials, rob the poor, kill the children, starve the planet.

Tomorrow morning, first thing first.

It's not surprising that most rural people will not realize that that extra $1K they are able to keep due to the tax legislation will more than disappear when they pay more than $1K for things over a years time. If they buy a car, it will be more like $3-5K. Net loss.

Nice going.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It's not surprising that most rural people will not realize that that extra $1K they are able to keep due to the tax legislation will more than disappear when they pay more than $1K for things over a years time. If they buy a car, it will be more like $3-5K. Net loss.

Nice going.

Don't understand your logic.

What is it about "rural people" that they don't understand/realize compared to non-rural people?? What and why are you stating that cars are going to cost them 3-5K more for a net loss?

help me with your logic. I'm not a "rural person" and don't understand

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Nice going.

Steve,
If Trump had a strategy behind his actions, the tax cut and tariff war might have been an interesting experiment. Give the people a modest tax cut and then slap tariff's on goods and the net net effects to the nominal wage/purchase powering are unchanged. The retaliatory tariffs by China have been very strategic, hit areas that disproportionately voted for Trump. The low and middle income Americans will be most effected by the tariffs, as they rely on farming, manufacturing and retail jobs.

But......there is no strategy here.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Well I am assuming your tongue in cheek comment about investing in options to fund your audio upgrades may have as big a chance of "downgrading" than upgrading.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to stock options, RSU, that are vesting the end of the month. Definitely want the stock price high as possible. Let the inevitable meltdown occur later.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Nice going.

WTF does that mean????

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing