When do you stop upgrading?

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Just saw this thread also … I am totally done upgrading for a while. The astronomical prices for new gear over the past few years have really gotten me turned off the upgrade path and buying and selling used gear isn’t as easy as it once was. I had big plans for my next step but have put them all of pause about 2 years ago and have zero plans of upgrading anything in the near term. I’ll certainly replace equipment as it dies but will most likely look for used gear as I’m just not willing to pay MSRP for new gear. I know I’m in the minority here but the high prices really has me turned off for now … Maybe longer and I’ve been at this since the early 80’s.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hate this, hobby. :confused:

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I assume I will cease upgrading when I either die or become so senile that I don't know Schitt from Shinola audio. At the moment I am very impatiently waiting for DEQX to release its new product line so I can replace my DEQX HDP 3 with their new Pre 8 preamp/DSP. They first promised the new line would be available third quarter 2022, then that was put off until fourth quarter 2022, then late fourth quarter 2022 now DEQX is no longer making any promises. If I thought anyone else's DSP would be as good I would just tell them to urinate away, but I don't believe anyone else can match them.

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I can not answer to this hard question but I am sure I will stop upgrading when I left this beautiful world

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
tomorrow....always tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't have a problem. it's just a hobby. I can quit anytime I want to.o_O

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Interesting question. To SIGNIFICANTLY improve the audio in my room (i.e. replace my speakers) would cost the equivalent of a new starter home. Won't be doing that. I've long since passed the phase of being willing to buy anything to get a minuscule (IMO) improvement in audio. That road is never ending and infinitely expensive.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I assume I will cease upgrading when I either die or become so senile that I don't know Schitt from Shinola audio. At the moment I am very impatiently waiting for DEQX to release its new product line so I can replace my DEQX HDP 3 with their new Pre 8 preamp/DSP. They first promised the new line would be available third quarter 2022, then that was put off until fourth quarter 2022, then late fourth quarter 2022 now DEQX is no longer making any promises. If I thought anyone else's DSP would be as good I would just tell them to urinate away, but I don't believe anyone else can match them.
What I favor the most with the Pre 8 preamp/DSP. is that it has eight analog outputs which is the perfect live solution with digital recording.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Well, famous last words, but maybe I'm done. Just replaced some faulty diffusers (MDF splitting) with Vicoustic diffuser/absorber panels. No surprise that any time we can reduce the room's influence, we start to hear more of what the speakers are capable of (and all the other gear too).

The intention of adding the panels was to reduce the slightly unnatural highs (without the old diffusers), but the new clarity noticeably affects vocals and extends lower in frequency as well. The real surprise for me was the additional rhythmic response, which was already very good.

I was hoping to keep the overall lively sound but reduce all the bouncing frequencies. And since the listening room is the living room, aesthetics and limited placement options were relevant too. Luckily, these panels worked to achieve all of these goals.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Well, famous last words, but maybe I'm done. Just replaced some faulty diffusers (MDF splitting) with Vicoustic diffuser/absorber panels. No surprise that any time we can reduce the room's influence, we start to hear more of what the speakers are capable of (and all the other gear too).

The intention of adding the panels was to reduce the slightly unnatural highs (without the old diffusers), but the new clarity noticeably affects vocals and extends lower in frequency as well. The real surprise for me was the additional rhythmic response, which was already very good.

I was hoping to keep the overall lively sound but reduce all the bouncing frequencies. And since the listening room is the living room, aesthetics and limited placement options were relevant too. Luckily, these panels worked to achieve all of these goals.
That's great to hear. I think that acoustic treatment is still not talked about enough. How would you rate the change that acoustic treatment did? As much as getting new equipment?

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
That's great to hear. I think that acoustic treatment is still not talked about enough. How would you rate the change that acoustic treatment did? As much as getting new equipment?
Thank you. An interesting question but one I find hard to answer. I tend to associate qualities with new gear and the effects are additive.

With the Mola Mola gear, it was hearing the transparency and liveliness that low distortion brings. The Grimm MU1 seemingly lowered the noise further and what emerged was music that was hard to ignore. The Shunyata power distributor added more realism to tone and timbre. The diffuser/absorber panels has me listening to more horns (trombone, sax, flugelhorn, trumpet), more albums by drummers, and lots of vocals (mostly Jazz in all cases).

But, to answer your question in another way: The acoustics are all-important. You cannot hear (or perhaps not hear is a better description) your gear without eliminating some of the effects of sound bouncing around the room. For me, it was important to remember that everything in the room both reflects and absorbs sound (including the walls). I assume that measuring the room would be helpful, but in the end I also assume the fine tuning must be done by ear.

Last edited:

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
fully agree !, its underrated ,
i have consulted an acoustic engineer, to execute measurments in my room , pics were used in a basic expose about influence of room acoustics, and publsihed in german magazin , link see below
https://www.hifistatement.net/grundlagen/item/376-raumakustik-teil-2
1674889164021.png
before treatment

1674889276567.png

after treatment on walls , corners, ceiling..

1674889374003.png ig

1674889407472.jpeg

None single "über high end " component could achieve the acoustic improvment, in total i spend around 10 000 euro, incl. measurments .
.. every single penny worth..!!!!!

i dont like listening in a , let me describe it, as studio atmoshpere, its always compromise between feel good factor, aestetic demand and acoustic/sonic perfection.

Attachments

• 1674889408151.png
    1674889408151.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
@Thomas 911 thank you for the link. That is a great article.

This part (translated by the browser) shows the sensible approach and touches on your point about not turning the listening room into a room for professional mixing:

The temporal range "after" the initial time (the notch in the recommended envelope) is available for the "creative" acoustic design of a listening room. Creative is meant in the true sense of the word, because these acoustic properties do not refer to an absolute degree. To be clear: there is no reference listening room! Rather, the acoustic properties meant in a positive sense are based on the physical requirements of the listening room and its individual use. A control room, in which intensive work has to be done all day, certainly looks acoustically different from a demo room for short audio samples. As a result, you must first become clear about what you actually want. How long is heard, which average listening levels are realized, which material should be intercepted and so on. Of course, subjective listening habits and personal preferences also play a major role. The specific use of space can also play a decisive role. Is it about pure fun in music, is sound material processed or does the room serve to assess the sonic properties of devices? All these factors go into the "creative" acoustics of an eavesdropping room. In order to simplify the matter a little at this point, we are now referring to the situation in which the fun of listening should be in the foreground.

It seems you are using the Vicoustics diffuser/absober panels (in addition to diffusers). I think they are a great all-purpose panel and look nice in the listening environment.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I'll stop upgrading when every LP I own, whether jazz, blues, rap, reggae, apocalyptic folk, trip hop, classical or the occasional punk album sounds great. Getting close now.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
@Thomas 911 thank you for the link. That is a great article.

This part (translated by the browser) shows the sensible approach and touches on your point about not turning the listening room into a room for professional mixing:

The temporal range "after" the initial time (the notch in the recommended envelope) is available for the "creative" acoustic design of a listening room. Creative is meant in the true sense of the word, because these acoustic properties do not refer to an absolute degree. To be clear: there is no reference listening room! Rather, the acoustic properties meant in a positive sense are based on the physical requirements of the listening room and its individual use. A control room, in which intensive work has to be done all day, certainly looks acoustically different from a demo room for short audio samples. As a result, you must first become clear about what you actually want. How long is heard, which average listening levels are realized, which material should be intercepted and so on. Of course, subjective listening habits and personal preferences also play a major role. The specific use of space can also play a decisive role. Is it about pure fun in music, is sound material processed or does the room serve to assess the sonic properties of devices? All these factors go into the "creative" acoustics of an eavesdropping room. In order to simplify the matter a little at this point, we are now referring to the situation in which the fun of listening should be in the foreground.

It seems you are using the Vicoustics diffuser/absober panels (in addition to diffusers). I think they are a great all-purpose panel and look nice in the listening environment.
Yes the supplier is vicoustic, you are right. Listen classic or Jazz, is very emotional ..and Studio Environment Look would not keep me long on the Sofa..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
@ thomas nice you have the Octave Jubilee pre as welll.
Thats a nice combo , i think thats one of the best tubeamplification combos money can buy.

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
@ thomas nice you have the Octave Jubilee pre as welll.
Thats a nice combo , i think thats one of the best tubeamplification combos money can buy.
Yes ,particulary the pre amp is the Model which was tested by the World press. I had all octave pre amp and mono amp before, from bottom to top line., not without reason.
Like in an other thread discussed about burn in time, i must confess, the mono amplifier require minimum 150 h, after unpacking, but then you get rewarded110 %.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing