When do you stop upgrading?

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I've had the core components of my system (analog rig, pre-amp, power amp, and speakers) for 25-30+ years. I haven't done much in the way of upgrading because I simply love the sound my system provides me.

I tend to take a long time deciding on what my next piece of gear will be. I think it through long and hard and always get what I feel will be the best for my system at that point in time (within "my" monetary constraints, of course). This approach has worked well for me as I get immersed in the music every listening session with no thought about the gear that is producing it.... I guess that is why I've had my gear for decades.

Instead of thinking about gear or possible upgrades, my thoughts are more focussed on acquiring additional vinyl for my collection, the best pressings that I can find and afford. It's amazing how a great quality pressing, in and of itself can elevate a system's sound quality.

So, ultimately for me... being content and simply having immense enjoyment listening to the music my system provides me.... means the upgrading is no longer necessary and allows me to get off the merry-go-round.

Best wishes to all,
Don

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have stopped .
The CAT jl5 was the final piece of the puzzle.

I now invest my money in more productive things investment wise( apart from designing some more audio products which is a fun proces in itself)
And go more often on holidays .

greetings from Marrakesh.

After visiting the munich show and a lot of other shows/ dealershow visits over the past 1.5 years im completely convinced this industry is filled with BS/nonsense.

If all goes well i ll be in munich for the show next year as well .
Quit a fun show.

Ps You can buy a top of the line fullfilling system.for 40 50 K second hand.
You just gotto know what u want and u like to listen too

Last edited:
Reactions: doodle

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The only thing i might buy is a completely original restored Telefunken M15 A in half inch version.
Analogue productions offers the possibility to buy half inch tape versions as well

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I've had the core components of my system (analog rig, pre-amp, power amp, and speakers) for 25-30+ years. I haven't done much in the way of upgrading because I simply love the sound my system provides me.

I tend to take a long time deciding on what my next piece of gear will be. I think it through long and hard and always get what I feel will be the best for my system at that point in time (within "my" monetary constraints, of course). This approach has worked well for me as I get immersed in the music every listening session with no thought about the gear that is producing it.... I guess that is why I've had my gear for decades.

Instead of thinking about gear or possible upgrades, my thoughts are more focussed on acquiring additional vinyl for my collection, the best pressings that I can find and afford. It's amazing how a great quality pressing, in and of itself can elevate a system's sound quality.

So, ultimately for me... being content and simply having immense enjoyment listening to the music my system provides me.... means the upgrading is no longer necessary and allows me to get off the merry-go-round.

Best wishes to all,
Don
I envy you a little bit. I like playing with new stuff, and I can't just settle on one setup for longer.

Reactions: No Regrets

doodle

Jun 10, 2021
I’ve been upgrading for 60 years now and have no plans to keep upgrading - haven’t had any for four or five years. That said, I set up a new pair of speakers this week. I have about a dozen pairs set up in systems all around the house, inside and out. From Dynaco A25 to Revel Salon2, JBL DD67000, JBL 4350. Solid state and tubes from the 50s to the present, kits and manufactured. I’m happy with the variety and capabilities of the various systems, but always enjoy hearing new music. I even have a suitcase system to take with me when I’m hospitalized.

Reactions: No Regrets

doodle

Jun 10, 2021
i am pretty sure that Silbatone 300b fitted WE 300b made in 1940's sound better with horn than Lamm.

You had better try out Silbatone amp before realizing what I mean.

After I get my Silbatone repaired next year, I will use it to drive treble horn of Altec A7.

Above video is the sound out of Altec driven by Silbatone before it go out of order.

It gives pristine sound with nuanced details.
Same experience with Elekit WE 300b SET on Altec Valencias.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same experience with Elekit WE 300b SET on Altec Valencias.

hi, what do you mean by same experience on the Valencias

doodle

Jun 10, 2021
hi, what do you mean by same experience on the Valencias
Superbly transparent sound. I’d been using a Powernode on Valencias in our bedroom, then switched to Dynaco ST70. That was a big improvement, but a few months later, the 300b Elekit took the Altecs even further. Complex passages are noticeably more accessible with that combination. “Pristine sound…nuanced details.”

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Superbly transparent sound. I’d been using a Powernode on Valencias in our bedroom, then switched to Dynaco ST70. That was a big improvement, but a few months later, the 300b Elekit took the Altecs even further. Complex passages are noticeably more accessible with that combination.

if you have any videos playing classical, jazz, or rock please share. There are many Altec videos on the forum

doodle

Jun 10, 2021
Hey Cableman, thanks for responding to the post. For myself, as well as I'm sure others, what drives the hobby is the trip rather than the destination. My sound is very satisfying but there is always something else around the corner. I took in a Luxman EQ 500 phono preamp in trade. Sounded OK'ish until I used it with my vintage Audio Note step up into the MM stage. Spectacular sound! In the past few weeks, I've played more records than I have in the past two years. This is what keeps me engaged and the hobby alive.

My other Luxman electronics models are almost 12 years old. They sound amazing and I'm pretty sure I can't do better - for the money. But I can do better. I'm on the hunt...it's crazy...but it's what I do!
What are the Luxman pieces that you are so fond of? I’ve been listening to some of their 80s gear and like them (M2000, M4000, R1070, R115).

doodle

Jun 10, 2021
if you have any videos playing classical, jazz, or rock please share. There are many Altec videos on the forum
Sorry, no videos of anything. I’ve been involved in this pathology long enough to have learned that there are lots of people who have much better analytical listening skills than I. What’s important to me is to have reproduction that “disappears “, leaving the music to be enjoyed. I spent my working life as a custom cabinet maker. When I did my job properly, there was no evidence that I had ever been there, only beautiful artifacts hanging on the wall or sitting on the floor.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Superbly transparent sound. I’d been using a Powernode on Valencias in our bedroom, then switched to Dynaco ST70. That was a big improvement, but a few months later, the 300b Elekit took the Altecs even further. Complex passages are noticeably more accessible with that combination. “Pristine sound…nuanced details.”
Which version of Elekit do you mean? The Lundahl or the standard one?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I thought I was done upgrading with my last system. It sounds amazing. However, I did some demos and still I’m still doing some. I discovered that I was mistaken. When am I done? One day.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: andromedaaudio
Dec 24, 2022
I get bored and hope I never have the "perfect" system. I enjoy experimenting and trying different gear, tips and tricks just for my own education if nothing else. I just did it now with testing 15 different ethernet switches and dozens of combos with them. It was a lot of fun and very interesting.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It doesnt mean i say i have the best amplification available
I m just saying it has a very good price to performance ratio .
If i would spend a lot more i d probably would go for a Gryphon apex pre / power

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing