When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Is this article an accurate indictment of the Stones hi-rez?

No it isn't... because...

1. These were DSD transfers and you would see digital high-frequency noise up to 50k, whereas his graph does not show it.

2. He has turned down the sensitivity of one graph to show that "it doesn't go above 14k". As you can see in the second graph... there is information all the way out to 41k

3, Thus, you are also missing the tape bias bump which his graph does not show.. My graph shows the tape bias at about 29k in both FFT and spectrogram

4 and most important. His other graph shows one of HIS recordings which he sells.

Attachments

• RS 2..jpg
    RS 2..jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 588
  • RS 1..jpg
    RS 1..jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just to add,
as part of HifiNews June 2011 Hires investigation, Keith Howard purchased the "Through the Past Darkly" Rolling Stones album - 176k version.
His software showed that the low pass filter was applied around 30khz, however he felt that in this example it was not upsampled (is good when considering certain factors).

One thing that is of interest is he measures both peak and average spectrum; at 20khz to 30khz (relatively flat for that whole frequency range) the peak is -80db while average is around -90db.
As a reference point, roughly 2.5khz peak is -20db and average -30db.
The graph was showing "Honky Tonk Women".

Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
there are hundreds of plug-ins available for use in software like Audacity, Reaper, Pro-tools..etc. That's what a good ear is for. What plug-ins to use to make this track sound better. Maybe it needs more top end... Then you would need a parametric EQ plug-in to add a few dB of shelf EQ. If the track seems too dry, then you would need an ambience recovery plug-in.

No "one fits all" here. It just depends on what YOU think the track is lacking.

But at this point, you're re-mastering. Does the change in sound really have anything to do with the upsampling?

Tim

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
But at this point, you're re-mastering. Does the change in sound really have anything to do with the upsampling?

Tim

Upsampling a file does not make it sound better. It's still the same file. Now, if your DAC has a sweet spot at say 176.4, then upsampling is good. Upsampling is only done if the file is going to be processed further...

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah agree with you Bruce.
In Keith Howard's article he showed how several of those he downloaded ended up with slight flaws due to the upsampling.
In a way upsampled hi-res files are not really value for money as you do not get anymore information and have a chance of it being done incorrectly.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
3, Thus, you are also missing the tape bias bump which his graph does not show.. My graph shows the tape bias at about 29k in both FFT and spectrogram

Bruce,
Can you guess what was the tape recorder used for this recording just looking at this spectrogram?
If you ever get sick of audiophiles and non-audiophiles, I am sure CSI will have a place for you. :cool:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,
Can you guess what was the tape recorder used for this recording just looking at this spectrogram?
If you ever get sick of audiophiles and non-audiophiles, I am sure CSI will have a place for you. :cool:

This was an Ampex/ATR-102

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here are some files I just ran across. The vendor says they are true 24/176.4 files. He sent some graphs that shows the spectrum.
I have drawn lines showing that 24-bit files "only" have a dynamic range of 144dB. Anything below that is noise. These are 24/88.2 files that have been upsampled to 32-bit/176.4
You can clearly see that any music content or noise goes silent at 41kHz

Attachments

• Graph 2..JPG
    Graph 2..JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Graph 1..JPG
    Graph 1..JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If this becomes more common Bruce,
I get the feeling this will become the next perceived snake oil, which will be a shame for those that are true hi-rez files.
Personally I feel this is a worrying trend, but glad the main audio magazines have started highlighting one needs to be careful.

Thanks
Orb

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Well, the "Audacity Cowboys" are at it again over at the CA forum. HERE Go to end of thread.

wgscott and Teresa are saying the "Talking Heads - True Stories" album is not hi-rez. I see content out to 40k. This is what happens when you put tools into the hands of _______.

Attachments

• Talking Heads..jpg
    Talking Heads..jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 994

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was recently testing a bunch of things with Audacity and I was shocked how incorrect its frequency spectrum display is. If you don't know what it is doing, you can completely be misled. I find soundforge to also have issues although not as bad. The best I have found is Adobe Audition (Cooledit).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All these issues are postponing my decision to go into Hi-Res.:(
Is there any reliable place where I can find information about which issues are or are not true Hi-Res?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
HifiNews has started showing their analysis of hi-res music they review, they are using the structure-measurement as developed by Keith Howard several months ago.
In current magazine one album (think they reviewed 5 or 6 this month) was upsampled and they mentioned they will report it to the company and expect it to be removed or changed, btw the company was not HDTracks or other main hi-res download company.
Works well, one can hope other review publications will do something similar for the hi-rez review section.

Cheers
Orb

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Well, the "Audacity Cowboys" are at it again over at the CA forum. HERE Go to end of thread.

wgscott and Teresa are saying the "Talking Heads - True Stories" album is not hi-rez. I see content out to 40k. This is what happens when you put tools into the hands of _______.

Well, I am not sure how you want the blank filled in, although I can guess. However, it would extremely helpful to understand what I might be doing wrong.

To get some sort of handle on what I am observing, I have also included spectral plots from a positive control (Talking Heads, Remain in Light, Track 01, which looks very similar to what you posted), and a negative control (Lush Life, Track 04, which is from an album subsequently removed from HD track's catalogue). The first plot looks much more like the negative control to me than it does the positive control, and it looks more like the negative control than it does the plot that you posted. So you can imagine why a ______ might be concerned.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/files/Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 3.54.57 PM.png
Track 01 of True Stories

Positive Control:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/files/Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 4.13.54 PM.png
Track 01 of Remain in Light

Negative Control:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/files/Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 4.07.55 PM.png
Track 04 of Lush Life

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
OK, this will be an interesting discussion, but let's keep it civil and informative. Any more personal attacks, etc. will result in administrative action being taken.

Lee

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
OK:

When I attach it, it shrinks the image, so here is the original:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-&#48.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-&#48.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 910

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
First, welcome to the thread and forum :).

Second, part of the explanation is easy. Look at your vertical scale. What do you see? It stops at -90db. Now look at Bruce's display. What is the lowest value? -120db. If you draw a line at -90db on Bruce's graph, you see that it also stops around the same spot as yours.

What I can't yet explain without access to the file is the brickwall effect you are showing in your display. That drop is not in Bruce's file.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
That's what I thought at first, too, but I think it is just that the normalization is different on the vertical axis (His ranges from -60dB to -150, and mine ranges from -18db to -90db). In any case, as you point out, the main feature is the abrupt change of slope at ~19-22kHz. That striking feature simply isn't present in the other plot.

The most reasonable explanation is that we are looking at data from two different files. You can see it looks much more like "Born under Punches," which is why I provided that as a positive control (and a guess that he might be confusing the two HDtracks track #1 Talking Heads files).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing